Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iron Chef: Slow cooker!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iron Chef: Slow cooker!
    Posted: January 18 2007 at 3:10pm
Hey all,

Does anyone use a slow cooker pot? It's such quick prep and it frees up time for HAIR CARE.

What do you cook in it?

My recent obsession is cooking chili in one of the smaller-sized crock pots.
  • About 1/2 cup beef, browned in a skillet with salt, pepper, garlic, some cajun spice and ground cumin
  • About 3/4 cup chili beans, preferably soaked overnight in cool water.
  • One 2-oz can of tomato paste
  • 6 oz canned diced tomato, or two fresh tomatoes diced
  • 1 tsp sugar
Set it on low-medium overnight and an unseasoned chili should be ready in the morning.

Taste and add the necessary amount of salt on the morning-after.

Anais

Edited by AnaisSatin - January 18 2007 at 3:23pm
my LJ, 40 inches long
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 5:36pm
I don't have one, but it sounds like a great idea.  ATM I'm content to let Marie (Callendar), the Boston Market, and similar, to do much of my cooking. Embarrassed  I really should try to break that habit.

BTW Anais Satin, I concur with your priorities. Wink
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 11:58pm

Dave, please tell MARIE I said hi! I miss her very much. Wink

Cooking is, of course, cheaper than eating out or eating take-out.... which... in turn... frees up more money to budget for HAIR EXPENSES.

Something I love to do is cook a few "interchangeable" foods over the weekend and keep other interchangeable foods in the freezer. Interchangeable, as in rice (goes with almost anything) potatoes (likewise), different meats and different sauces.

It's even nicer to do it while my hair is drying from the shower.

Man oh man I love home life rituals.

Anais

Edited by AnaisSatin - January 18 2007 at 11:59pm
my LJ, 40 inches long
LavenderPink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LavenderPink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 2:50pm
I have a slow cooker also, but I cant see leaving it on  and leave the house, too dangerous, even on low, my slow cooker overflows, and its a mess if not watched, if I use my slow cooker, i make darn sure Im home thru out the day, and if need be to leave, I unplug it, safety first!!! How do you all make your chicken stews?? I sure could use some recipes of a slow cooker for this, thank you ladies.Smile

Edited by LavenderPink - October 26 2008 at 2:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic