Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$300 to dye extensions?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
disasterbarbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disasterbarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $300 to dye extensions?!
    Posted: January 22 2007 at 3:58am
Hello everyone. I was thinking about getting extensions and I was about to go through with it but backed out at the last minute. I brought two packs of 22" d-lux stick hair to a beauty student who installed extensions on a friend. She dyed them to match my hair color. I called today to find out a price (she knows I am not going through with it) and she told me.. $300! I couldn't believe it. I KNOW extensions can be pricey but she's only a student! I'm not sure if she is graduated yet but even if she is, she is working out of her home. I am not trying to talk down on ANYONE here but IMO, I think I would be getting things a little cheaper that way rather than going to a salon. I feel like I could've dyed the extensions myself. She said she had to dye each piece and then blow them out. From what I've learned the d-lux hair dryes almost straight. Is it just me or is $300 to DYE my extensions a bit much?
asinnamon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asinnamon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 8:53am
Yes, I would say that $300 to dye extensions is over the top....Let's see, 2 bottles of color plus a bottle of developer is under $20...add a little more if she had to bleach them....Still under $40. 

Did you discuss how much she would charge you prior to coloring the extensions?  Maybe she is trying to make $$ because you backed out of the install?? 
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 10:07am
Whoa. That's pretty spendy. I won't speculate why she quoted you this much but it is outrageous.
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 10:14am
As a professional, I'd charge as much as I would if the hair was still on someone's head.  Dying extensions is messy and sort of a pain.  For that length, I'd charge around $60-70, on or off a person.  It would probably take about 1 hour of time  and probably $10-15 dollars in product cost.
TanglesRC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TanglesRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 11:18am
GEESH- $300 to color extensions?
i agree with lisa,  i would never charge that much.

Bringing beauty, one head at a time...
lucky chick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucky chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 4:31pm
omg, that is too much $$$ Wacko
lucky chick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucky chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 4:33pm
ok, a stylist at my shop recently colored her clients ext hair and she charged her normal color rate.  I think it was around $65 for the color.
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 4:59pm
whoaaa....$300 for coloring the extensions?
nursie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nursie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 5:04pm
it aint just you honey, no way no way would i ever EVER pay $300 just for the color service!!
either she thinks she's got something soooo great going on that she feels she has the ability to charge that, or else she knew she didnt know how to do it or didnt really want to so she quoted you a price that she knew would make you hang up the phone!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic