Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I need advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Insanity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need advice
    Posted: January 23 2007 at 12:09am
to cut or not to cut?

so i've got the cut bug like i always get about once a year...but I need true honest opinions, my hubby isn't any help...so here are pics and my question: does the shorter cut make my fat face any worse than it already is? should I keep my locks as they are? it is naturally curly/wavy (depends on humidity and styling aids)...I flat iron about 2 x/week
this is my hair today:

sorry, bad webcam pics...anyways, it's past my shoulders and layered and razor cut
this is the cut I have ever had thats closest to the one I want:
this is why I am scared, I look dreadful in this pic: the fat face-

the one I want is way way way short in the back, you see the messy part? thats what scares me...
what I want:

so, keep it or cut it?
here's an inbetween:

I'm at your mercy!
Sjeanke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sjeanke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 10:01am
Cut it in an inverted bob
ssjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 10:18am
My wife has a rounder face than yours (your face isn't fat), and she wears a hairstyle very similar to the one you want, and it looks great on her.

You would look good in the cut you chose.
Jojoswr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jojoswr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 10:34am
I agree with ssjockey. Your choice would look very attractive on you.
Rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 1:43pm
I love the cut you've chosen. 

I think the key for you is styling your hair in a way the minimizes the width at your jaw/chin and give the appearance of width at your eyes and cheekbones.  Please forgive the crude Photoshop skills but the following illustration should give you an idea of what I mean. 

I shortened your hair a bit and brought it forward onto your jaw.  Through your eyes and cheekbones, I pulled the hair off your face a bit.  I moved your part off center a bit more.  Then added volume to the top.  The layers in the cut you've chosen will make this easier to achieve.  On thing I would change about the cut for you would be to add some soft layers around the face by slicing the sides with a razor.  (Yeah, I gave you bangs too because I didn't know how else I could move your part.  Confused)

Regarding the back... 
Either this shape  
or this shape would work nicely...

I'd say find a good stylist and put your trust in him/her to make you look great.  Take the photo(s) you like to give them an idea of what you desire realizing that certain things about the hairstyle may change based on you, your hair and your stylists discretion.   Getting a new hairstyle shouldn't be scary, it should be fun.  Have fun!

-Rocky
Insanity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Insanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 1:52pm
Rocky! I can't thank you enough for doing that for me! I see the problem now, you've a keen eye! You rock!!!

Thanks to everyone for their responses....

XOXO
Rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2007 at 3:23pm
My pleasure!  I'd love to see the finished product 'cuz I think it's going to look awesome.  Please do consider posting results of the big event.

-Rocky
DaisyMae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaisyMae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 2:38pm
Rocky I like the last picture of the back of the head above I am on another thread looking for angled or bob haircut ... the picture did not print off well for me could you send a description about how to cut the back to look like that plus do you keep the sides one length with that.
mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2007 at 8:41pm
Insanity,
I must agree with Rocky, by the way great job rocky. I f I was you I would go for it. That style is in. I see alot of those cuts that are layerd very heavy in the back. Its all how the stylist does the transition from layerd to the sides that need to reach the chin with long lengths.
Good Luck
Mike
Rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 1:45pm
DaisyMae:

A picture is worth a thousand words...  The picture you refer to is actually larger than it appears within the message.  Click this link to see a larger version which may print better for you. 

Describing how to do that cut is difficult.  A qualified stylist should be able to look at the photo and see what needs to be done.  There are two layering patterns within the cut.  First, I would cut a design line to the desired length (the bob).  The nape area below the line is tapered scissor over comb.  The rest is cut like a basic, layered bob.  Light layering (graduation really) above the design line is heavier in the back than in the front.  It is acheived by directing  the hair toward the back and cutting it employing the proper geometry to get the amount of graduation desired. 

It's harder for me to explain than it is for me to actually do.

-Rocky

Edited by Rocky - January 26 2007 at 4:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic