Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

;;

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
renee10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renee10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ;;
    Posted: February 04 2007 at 7:32pm
done

Edited by renee10 - November 29 2007 at 2:36pm
chrissy88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2007 at 5:47pm
I saw no responses to this inquiry, done back in Feb. 07', but given I also have fine hair maybe my views and experience might have an idea or two of interest.  First of all, my very fine hair does have a slight wave to it, especially when shorter, but I like the shoulder length and that is versitile length when slightly layered.  Also once my hair gets much past 3-4" below should length the ends (group of hairs) also become sparse...not just fine shafted. So my recommendation is shorten it some so even finger styling with created waves and some body have a better chance of holding up.  And going up closer to chin length enhances this desired styling a great deal, but given your squarish face perhaps somewhere between mid neck and shoulder length might be better.   

Keep in mind that a truly square shaped face doesn't need any width added or it may further emphasis your less idea facial shape.  So if you go shorter keep it less full (fluffed out), but if closer to shoulder length it helps to pull the focus away from the squareness and you can add a slight bit of fullness, however I would especially look at your jaw and chin shape to see it those are square boned, or more your overall facial shape.  If chin/jaw is square then even more keep it a bit longer.  But it sounds like with you indicating straight and fine hair that some light perm for extra body might really be helpful.  In part you are doing "controlled damage" to your hair without going overboard and burning your fine hair.  But will share another more daily routine that can add fullness and body.

But first, I also cut my own hair, and for my longer length this is fairly easy to do versus if was short and more layered.  I simply shampoo, condition and leave damp.  Combing through with a fine tooth comb (with a super conditioner will not stretch or break it). And part int into two damp ponytails pulled straight down in front.  For a straight even cut just clip straight across evenly.  For a slight layer comb each side out from the head say to the top of should (maybe 20 degrees up) and clip across (the top hair being grabbed further up will create a slight layer).  YOu might want someone to check the back length line by combing it down in back and clipping any uneveness.  Also I wear lightly layered bangs so first comb all bang hair straight down to your nose and cut across just above nose tip (being wet and straight then will be much higher once dry and wavy).  I use a pointed hair pik (or long hair pin) and release the lower (more frontal on scalp) hair of about 1/2" wide band across, then clip remaining in fingers a tad more (about 1/4" or more), then step up again and do a third and slighter shorter clip (to about top of eyes length) for a little light and high layer (hair is from scalp about 2-3" back now), which can even stand up with a touch of hair spray if wanted.  This way the bangs are light looking and not heavy, and you might like the slight half curl the top layer can be made to stand up some. 

Sometimes I will also leave a longer bit of bang to either side that is 2-3" longer than the forehead bangs,and can curl those for some fun or just let hanging loose (mini-wings in effect). 

Now for a super trick I picked up (or invented not quite sure).  Gently towel dry hair and then lightly blow dry but leave a tad damp.  Apply some light moose, then use about a dozen cheap plastic large clips found in cheaper stores and starting at the top just grab a bit of hair, pull up higher on the scalp some and let pinch.  Start with the bangs, then very highest points around the scalp,  then work down till you look like you have a set of rollers in but are all quick clips.  Lightly blow dry (won't reach inside clip well so will need 10 minutes to set some) and then in 10-20 minutes as you do your makeup and dressing, gently take them out.  If you want firmer strong curls let it dry more then finger loosen them. 

For more of a looser wave use a fork hair pik and lift up and and through only a few times, or more if want a softer look comb out even more.  Either way it's far quicker than rollers and you can vary time in and when comb out for a variety of looks, and than fine hair will usually takethis very well. 

When satisfied with the finished style just hit with a medium to extra hold hair spray (I look outside to see how windy it is to decide!).  For a tad more body on the sides I will use the pik and lift up the top layers and shoot the spray underneath, hold it to start to dry, then gently release. BTW, I favor TRESemme' for my fine hair as it doesn't seem to dry it out, and comes out completely with no residue with a single shampoo. Yaaaa!   And is very affordable.....so love it!  (I choose both Ultra Fine and Extra Hold).
To enter, endure and in time to accept one's destined transformation and fly into the heavens of life....is to be closer to the God that created you.
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 12:32pm

Your hair sounds like mine.  I keep mine long and trim it myself.  I always wear it up, which disguises the fact it is so fine.

Perhaps you have already cut now, but if you haven't perhaps you'd like tips on how to wear it up?

I never blow dry my hair.  It is left the dry naturally.  I wash it at night and then usually braid it to go to bed using some mousse.

I am currently using JASON's as they are gentle shampoos and without the sulfates which I hear is bad for the hair.

The real beauty of the way I wear my hair is that it takes less than five minutes.  I am not one for all the fussy hairstyling like tongs etc.

Braiding and pleating is perfect for my hair type.  I also use doughnut rings for the buns.  It does take a bit of practice to put up your hair, but if you want to keep the length you might want to try it.

All the best.

Edited by Seraphina - July 26 2007 at 12:34pm
Snipette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2007 at 1:39pm
Post this on the short hair forum and you will get lots of suggestions.  Ok you will get a few idiots say shave it off but 95% have very good opinions and normally  lots of pictures so you can see the style they mean.

If you post a before picture (and feel free to hide your face in it) you are almost guaranteed to have lots of answers.

All the best
S
chrissy88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2007 at 12:55pm

Adding a further comment here.  Another thing with at least my fine hair is I can never use a brush with it...never!  It would simply pull out or break a great deal of hair, especially when it's been colored or otherwise damaged and roughened up by some chemical treatment (though I like some controlled damage as it adds more body and hold with styles).  Instead I use a wide tooth plastic comb, and to comb it out, mostly right after a shampoo/rinse, then grab a small section of hair and start the comb-out at the ends and slowly work up to the scalp, then do the next section.  I find that right after applying new color that makes a comb-out much easier as the color particles help temporarily fill in the damage in the shafts and makes them smoother.  Also a good super conditioner is necessary and also cuts down on breakage.  When all is combed out by the wide comb I can then use a fine tooth comb and really get down to my scalp going front to back, and that really makes my scalp feel clean and in effect massaged.

Now for daily styling, I must first share my initial beginning point as I sleep with my hair parted and across the top of my head.  I have read some use braids to keep it from tangling, but that's too much work in my case.  My fine hair really doesn't braid too well and that would take too long of time.  All I have to do is divide into two unbound straight-to-side low ponytails then pull in turn each one up and over the top of my head (as it reaching to the other ear) and pop on some flat cheap hair clips (the silver ones that come in packs) and doing the other one they lay side-by-side over the top.  If this looks too odd for you, given you might have a husband/BF you are sleep with  just use a hair pik and pull out some hair on the lower back so it looks less stark.  The point is this prevents my hair from getting tangled that would take an hour to get out, if even possible at all, given my hair will knot up and these would simply have to be torn off. 

Now back to morning styling, as I simply "let my hair down" then use the plastic fork to partially comb out - more stab and style, then trying to go through to the ends.  This is easier to do with hair that only has "average hold" hair spray in it versus "extra hold," but either way it works in a few minutes time.  Hit it again with some spray when all is in place and it's set for the day.  I find I can shampoo and condition twice a week and is a good tradeoff between overdoing it and having a reasonably clean hair, though if I go too long it does begin to dry out too much, and becomes easier to further damage (not to mention takes twice as long to comb out even after a weekly-only cleansing).  I use one of the new conditioners that include some additional color in it to keep my permanent one lasting longer - Suave Professionals conditioner (with brunette...color boast)..

What I wish I knew of was a color-only product, without any peroxide to boast my color between my 6-week interval of permanent color (Revlon or Loreal) , rather than having to rely on the little bit of color boaster found in conditioners these days, in lorder to benefit from how much smoother it makes my hair shafts and reduces breakage (so might put in after every two shampoos, or weekly in my schedule given I shampoo twice a week), but don't want it too look too dull with flat color.  Maybe I just need to go into a large hair-beauty store and ask for such a product.  Any suggestions anyone?

To enter, endure and in time to accept one's destined transformation and fly into the heavens of life....is to be closer to the God that created you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic