Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - To professional hairdressers or students, advice?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To professional hairdressers or students, advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Anima View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To professional hairdressers or students, advice?
    Posted: February 09 2007 at 7:43am
I'm a single mother, teaching myself (yes, i know, but i can't afford to go to college), to dress hair. I'm thinking of buying a practice mannequin with real human hair, but i'm worried at the expense and it will be useless after one cut. Would i be better off buying a hairless mannequin (very cheap) and a few synthetic wigs to attach to it, so i can try out dressing and cutting? Don't know whether it's possible to colour synthetic hair though...

What do you think? What do they tend to use in training schools?

Thanks everyone,
Anima
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 6:52am
I'm not a pro, most of us here aren't, though there are a few pros around.  I don't know about your manniquin, but I wanted to point out that most states require that you go to a real school before you get a beautician's license (which you cannot cut hair without...probably excluding your own family members of course...you could be sued). You should probably look into whether your state has this requirement.  Here is a link to the dept. of labors info on a beautician's license.    
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Alwayzblessed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwayzblessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 3:38pm

I just saw this post. Have you thought about doing on the job training. I will be starting this really soon. I will not be a cosmetologist, I will be a master stylist. I will be a cosmetologist/barber. Just call around to the beauty salons in your area to find a beautician that do on the job training. I only have to pay booth rent.

Vampyfox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vampyfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Anima Anima wrote:

I'm a single mother, teaching myself (yes, i know, but i can't afford to go to college), to dress hair. I'm thinking of buying a practice mannequin with real human hair, but i'm worried at the expense and it will be useless after one cut. Would i be better off buying a hairless mannequin (very cheap) and a few synthetic wigs to attach to it, so i can try out dressing and cutting? Don't know whether it's possible to colour synthetic hair though...

What do you think? What do they tend to use in training schools?

Thanks everyone,
Anima

You really do need to officially study to get your licence. This is necessary for you to get insurance, which is vital, as so many customers can try to sue you, for imagined or real problems after you attend to their hair needs.  Keep yourself safe!

Synthetic hair, cannot be dyed. And, if real hair bought, is dyed a few times, it will turn brittle. You have to remember that chemicals are applied to all but the best hair you can buy, and is already ruined. The cuticle of the hair has been removed, and a shiny substance replaces that for selling. This is why hair does not stay looking good for a long time, even if it is real hair.
Vampyfox
Author/Performer
(Pic taken a few months ago)
www.donni-jay.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic