Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why did my colour come out wrong, AGAIN??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PoshMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PoshMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why did my colour come out wrong, AGAIN??
    Posted: February 11 2007 at 2:29pm
This has happened too many times to count now, but here is what happened

The guy used Redken shades, 8and 9 n half and half. I was suppose to go back to my root colour but a bit lighter, which is darkish blonde.

I now have dark browm bordering on Black depending on the light. I hate it, I feel awful, I have tried washing and washing it, as he said it would fade, but it hasn't worked.

The colours he used seemed light, why did this happen?? He put me under heat with a cover for 25 mins, was this too long?

Please help, this is a beverly hills salon who think it's impossible for them to make mistakes

Abby
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 8:15am
If they're going to be so snooty I'd tell them this is not what you asked for and make them fix it.  This was their mistake if you said you wanted dark blond and they gave you dark brown/ black. 

You could wash your hair with a half and half mix of shampoo / baking soda to help strip this stuff out, and if that doesn't work well enough, try the acidic route (the baking soda was alkaline) and wash with a clarifying shampoo and see if that helps remove some. 

But I wouldn't do that just yet, before messing with it trying to get it out yourself, (which likely isn't going to fade it to exactly what you wanted anyway...black hair probably isn't going to fade to dark blonde), try to get them to fix it.  If they did it wrong they should fix it for free.

I'm not a pro, but I can't see any reason 8 and 9 level shades would go that dark, even under heat...which I'm also not sure why he would use...maybe he made a mistake and didn't use those shades?

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
sofine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sofine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 3:12pm
Hmmm, I wonder if your stylist forgot to add the appropriate bleach or lightening element to the 8 and 9 colors respectively. Or perhaps simply used the wrong color altogether. It's not totally unheard of. Basically, if you put color over previously colored hair, it won't go lighter unless a beach is added to lift the pigment before hand. It will only yield darker results, no matter what number is used. (see Claude's Introduction To Color post) But, you had virgin roots, right? If someone at this salon made a mistake like that, you can bet they'll come up with all sorts of excuses rather than come clean. Imagine what that could do to their "reputation". In any case, definitely go back and insist that it be corrected, free of charge! Good luck
SoFine
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by PoshMama PoshMama wrote:

This has happened too many times to count now, but here is what happened

The guy used Redken shades, 8and 9 n half and half. I was suppose to go back to my root colour but a bit lighter, which is darkish blonde.
Q.) was he lightening your haircolor or darkening it? 8N & 9N are very neutral blondes....8N is borderline dirty blonde....these shades are typically used for toning the hair after lifting to remove yellow or brassiness.

I now have dark browm bordering on Black depending on the light. I hate it, I feel awful, I have tried washing and washing it, as he said it would fade, but it hasn't worked.
Q.) Shades EQ is a demi-permanent color not a semi-permanent. Now if your hair was very pourous and overprocessed it would soak up the color quicker and go darker in a shorter period of time. What the stylist should have done is to spray the pourous ends with water to help slow the color on the ends. Demi-permanent on overprocessed hair can actually penetrate the cuticle if it's raised or damaged and actually stain the cortex of the hair strand and many times last far longer than any permanent haircolor. 

The colours he used seemed light, why did this happen?? He put me under heat with a cover for 25 mins, was this too long?
Q.) Is it safe to assume your hair was platinum blonde or pale yellow and you wanted it slightly darker? Redken is a very quirky color line and on a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 6 and I feel I'm being generous in giving it that....actually I think it's more 4 on a scale of 1-10 as far as how true the color line is when it comes to their color swatches and tinting back to a darker haircolor. It typically pulls 1 level darker when tinting back. He probably should have just went with some 9N but I wouldn't have left it on for more than 15 minutes.

Please help, this is a beverly hills salon who think it's impossible for them to make mistakes

In closing I will say there are good hairstylists and there are bad hairstylists it doesn't matter if your in Beverly Hills or in any part of the world. The worst hairstylist is one who thinks they know it all and don't need to be shown anything. Anyone with that outlook in general is in serious trouble.

I'm guessing if he had that color on for 25 minutes.... processing time is typically 20 minutes BTW for Shades EQ. Plus you said he put you inder the dryer....EEP, OPP, ORK, AH, AHHH.....that would have helped the color process quicker.....so it was left on too long....though you think it's black it's probably a medium brown like a level 5.....definately a shock going from a Lvl 9 or 10 to a Level 5.

Will it lighten....NO NOT MUCH! You can bleach soap cap it....have it done at a salon to lighten it then it will need to be toned...with 8N for 3-5 minutes to remove brassiness or you could have some blonde highlights thrown in throughout the hair. 

It doesn't sound like a total train wreck however the stylist did make some mistakes IMHO....left it on too long....shouldn't have put you under the dryer as this accelerated the color absorbtion process and didn't mist the mid-shaft to ends with water to even prevent the color from soaking into the pourous ends.

It can be fixed.....trust me I'm a licensed HairStylist. Oh and BTW you should ask them once they fix it that they should give you a few salon quality deep conditioning treatments (L'ANZA, Joico or Structural Balance) to help restore moisture to the hairstrands to prevent breakage, even out porosity in the hair strands as this hair has been stressed out by the various color processes.

Best Wishes and Good Luck

Claude

Abby

Edited by Claude - February 16 2007 at 6:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic