Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Products to add texture

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
melly5648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melly5648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Products to add texture
    Posted: February 27 2007 at 5:10pm
There has to be something that can make my hair have texture without looking greasy. It's naturally sitck straight and it dries flat against my scalp-even with a blow dryer. I want some texture on the top or a root lifter or something where I can change my style from one day to the next. And I don't want to look like a grease pit once it's in there. Perms are definitely out and no amount of layers will fix it (I already have a bunch). I also love my pantene shampoo and conditioner because it keeps static and split ends away. I want something I can add after the shower. Does this product actually exist?
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2007 at 12:25pm
I use mousse and braid it whilst wet, it does give it that extra bit of volume.  I've always had very fine, poker straight hair.  I wear it up all the time.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 10:43am
I use Wella spray gel and it really gives me a lot of lift.  BUT, I have very short hair with lots of layers.  If your hair is long and very fine you are probably much better off with less layers and a smooth style.  When my hair was longer that was the only way it looked good.  I am finding that with very short hair I have lots of versitility but I do have to use a lot of products.  In addition to the spray gel I also use a small bit of spray wax or styling cream and Kenra 25 volume spray to hold everything in place.  If you dislike using products this could be a problem.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
StringyMimi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StringyMimi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 5:14pm
I'm glad someone asked this question!  Everyone wants body in their hair, but some of us only want it at the roots!  I just flip my head upside down and use a mousse but these solutions sound much better.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 1:41am
NIOXIN
I too have fine,often flat hair (although thick). I bought nioxin because I heard it helps with hair growth.It is actually meant for fine,thinning hair though.
Ladies,it's a tad expensive,but it really works.It plumps the hair from the inside,and it makes a big difference. I've been using it since Feb. and I love it~all other body building,texurizing products pale in comparison.
It's a 3 part system of cleanser (shampoo),moisterizer (conditioner),and a scalp spray. They contain all natural ingrediants like biotin,rosemary and mint that are known for being good for hair.
You can find it at most salons,or look it up on the web.I reccomend this to all fine haired people!
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 10:22am
I am always mystified about how people can refer to their hair as being fine when it is thick.  If your hair is just fine textured but thick you have no problem really, it is when you have fine baby hair you have a problem.   

I am using Jasons Products because I heard sulfates are bad for the hair, I also like the smell of them.  I use conditioner now as well, and am cutting my own hair.

I would perhaps resort to Nioxin if I was losing it though, but I heard it has to be started as soon as hair loss occurs and you have to keep using it or all the hair that you gained will just drop out again.  The expense doesn't bother me though. Anything is worth it. 

But if like you say you have thick hair already you mean your hair is only fine textured, and therefore you already have something to build on. 

The people with real problems are the ones like me who can't wear a simple ponytail because the thickness is so pathetic.

I just wear mine up all the time, easier to manage :)  And it doesn't bother me as much as it did when I was younger, you learn to live with what you've got.

Nioxin is also available as tablets, but my mother tried that and it made no difference to her and she also had side effects.

Having said that, if Nioxin is cruelty free I might give it a go.  I think I saw something on sale in the health shop like it. 

I'd be interested to hear how long it took to see results.

Problem is what works for some people, doesn't work for everyone.

But it's worth a shot.

Edited by Seraphina - April 20 2007 at 10:27am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 1:37am
 Well NIOXIN is not to be confused with ROGAINE. It doesnt claim to make hair grow~it simply puts the scalp in optimum conditions TO grow.

If you dont like it,then I will eat my words...but I really think it makes a difference in how the hair feels and looks. I was very skeptical because I had bought all kinds of body building stuff that didnt do much at all.
A hair dresser on a different forum said she has never seen it hurt anyone's hair,only help,so I gave it a try.
Make sure you get the kind for your specific hair though.

I'm on system 3 because my hair is chemically treated. They also have one for more noticeably thinning hair. I'm going to buy some for my mom next cuz she is complaining her hair is too thin.
I hope you like it as much I do.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 9:43am
I'm kind of in agreement with Seraphina.  I have fine and very thin hair and I think if it were thicker I would be very happy with it.  Both of my kids have baby fine hair but it is very thick and their hair is beautiful.  They don't have to do anything to it but wash and wear.  My daughter has long, straight, blonde hair (chemically treated of course).  She doesn't even have to blow dry to get that Hollywood straightness and she looks beautiful.  I could never do that.  My hair won't even grow that long.  But I have learned to live with it too.

I haven't heard of the Nioxin that comes in systems.  I looked for it yesterday in Walgreen's.  Do you have to buy it online?
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 10:16am
I think Nioxin is easily available to purchase in shops?  You probably could get it online though.

I'd be perfectly happy if I had thick hair which was fine textured. 

Good luck to anyone who finds the products works.

I think perhaps I was confusing Nioxin with Rogaine, so there's no need to eat your words juleysjul88 :)  If it works for you brilliant, it probably works for loads of others as well.

I'd love to be able to wear my hair loose because it is quite long, although would never get to the length thick hair could get to.  It can't make it to those couple of extra inches required to get to the waist :(

But I have to accept what I've got.

Fine hair can look very nice though as well.  It's just we always want what we can't have.

One day I might try Nioxin.  How long do I have to give it before it works?  And are we talking about shampoo or tablets?

My hair is just very baby fine, always has been so I couldn't say it was thinning as such because I'm not losing it thank God.  So is there a Nioxin for that?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 3:45pm
Well,my problem with fine hair that is somewhat thick (mine) is that it is flat all the time and no body. I dont care for the stick straight look of hollywood on myself. I prefer bouncy hair with some volume to it.
As soon as you use the NIOXIN it fluffs hair up.You dont have to wait for results. The first day i used it I showed my husband and he agreed my hair looked much fuller then usual.(and he never notices anything unless it hits him on the head,LOL)

You can buy it online~I know AMAZON has it. Just about every salon I been to sells it as well. I dont think you can get it at Walgreens.

Oh also,it IS a shampoo,conditioner and spray.No tablets or pills. Important to use all three things though. Together they make a difference.

Edited by julesyjul88 - April 21 2007 at 3:46pm
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2007 at 9:27am
I don't think we are ever happy with our hair :(  But at least you have something to build on.  I remember a colleague complaining how fine her hair was and yet when she put it in a ponytail it was twice the thickness of mine!  Mine is the worst of the fine hair imaginable, that is without it coming out - which is the ultimate.  There's plenty of products out there that can fluff up thick hair and I really could cope with the texture being fine.

Nobody could have straighter hair than me either, poker straight and I often see women wearing their hair straight and it is the look I am trying to avoid.  Very few women can wear what is called the "sleek" look, I think you need to have very thick top conditioned hair for that, most I've seen just look lank.

The price of Nioxin would put me off, I guess it is very expensive, haven't looked.  But I don't want to start using chemicals.  You and me have totally different types of hair as well.

Which is why the term "fine" is rather deceiving.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2007 at 9:36am
I agree.  My hair is baby fine, pin straight, and thin.  There is no way that I could ever wear it that wouldn't require daily heat styling and even that has to be done to an extremity because it mostly falls out during the day.  It has been the bane of my existance for all of my life but now I just rub a lot of products in every day and try to be happy.
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2007 at 10:31am

I wear it up, it's better that way.   Then on holiday I cheat by using those hairpieces, they can be mistaken as real hair and fortunately nobody that knows me as seen me wearing them.  On holiday I wear an extra long one that touches the bum, because I've always wanted ultra long hair and I have got a shorter more modest one.  I just wished I discovered these years ago.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2007 at 11:45pm
Nioxin is 39 dollars for all three things. It really isnt chemicals though which is why I love it.It is mostly all natural things.

Hair pieces can be alot of fun too. I use them now because my hair is cut short. If you have a thin ponytail,you can buy the clip on pony tails to add volume. No one ever knows it's not my real hair unless they know me personally.
I've thought about extensions too,but have heard alot of bad things about how they damage your hair,plus I dont know how to apply them and it costs way too much to pay someone to do it for me.
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 9:46am
Well $39 isn't too bad for a product that you are happy with :)

The thing which spoils the hairpieces is those claw clips you can see them sometimes and if they are too thick they do look ridiculous and too artificial.  I like the ones I have got.

There are clip in hairpieces as well but I can't figure those ones out.

I wouldn't have the ones which you have "weld" onto the hair, they sound very bad for the hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 3:46pm
The nioxin has lasted a long time too. I bought it in FEB and still have some left. So it's about 13 dollars a month.

I hate it when the clip shows! yet the draw string kind doesnt stay on short hair well.
I considered the glue-in (bonded) hair extensions just until my hair grows out. I'd have to do it myself though and I'd be scared I'd look ridiculous if I did it wrong.
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 9:48am
I think your hair is lovely anyway from your photograph :)

I've tried the drawstring type of hairpieces and they simply don't work for me.

The problem with my hair is that because of it being so fine, it is also very silky so some things slip right out of it.  I've even had to change the hairclips or claws (whatever they're called) from the hairpieces and chosen smaller ones.

Recently discovered a lovely hair accessory called "Stylee" - a scrunchie thing attached to two combs and it really works with my hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 2:59pm
Thank you (about the hair compliment) although my hair is now MUCH shorter then it was in that picture. (a very short bob) I had to cut it because I had an incident with a child cutting my hair,and had all these really short pieces.It was the main reason I started using Nioxin because people were saying it can help hair grow by stimulating the scalp.
I have to use bobby pins to help keep my hair back in order to wear the clip on ponytails,and alot of hairspray.
I have scrunchie thing that has fake hair on it that I can tie around my ponytail (stub,LOL) as well.
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 5:05pm
Oh dear kids hey! :(  I hope my son doesn't do that to me.  He has great hair it grows super quick! 

I've trimmed my hair today myself and have now got it in bendy rollers, they are great for adding that little bit of extra body I need. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic