Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Transitioning - Must you cut the relaxed ends off?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transitioning - Must you cut the relaxed ends off?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transitioning - Must you cut the relaxed ends off?
    Posted: March 05 2007 at 8:19pm
ladies i need your help. Cry
I have not relaxed my hair now since Apr 06 (10 months). I have quite a bit of new growth. But i dont feel like i am getting the length I expected.
If i cut the relaxed ends off I won't be able to pony it up for a bun. And i feel that keeping the relaxed ends and having the 2 textures is not helping me either. If i cut it, i will have a TWA, cause my hair shrinks up to my skull cap because i have not been able to pin down how to get my hair moisturized and keep it that way. I find that what works on the relaxed ends does not work for the natural.
Is it better to chop off the relaxed parts or hang on to it to help with length?
http://public.fotki.com/Kell1e/
Transitioning since Aug 06
Last Relaxer Apr 06
PickledGeuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PickledGeuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2007 at 9:59am
..Do what feels right for you. If you can't emotionally hack having a little fro, then don't cut it. Not cutting it means giving it the patience it deserves. I didn't cut my hair .. when I transitioned for as long as you because.. I was in the same mindset as you are.. "short hair".. but.. till this day, I still think if I I had just chopped off these few ends, I'd be a lot more stress free. But I'm stubborn ..so I let the little ends straggle. Since majority of my strands are natural, I wear wash & go's .. and my hair is pretty short once it begins drying.. but I no longer worry.. It's all in due time.
blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2007 at 10:13am
Hey Kellie we transitioned kinda around the same time (March 11 '06)....I decided that I am going to do a long transition because my face/head lol can't carry short hair....I was starting to get frustrated to because I thought I would see alot of growth when I started transitioning but that wasn't the case because I wasn't handling the hair correctly I suffered alot of breakage and I just had an issue with heat damage/split ends but co-washing/rinsing daily helped me resolve that. I would say that you should keep your length and continue to experiment with different products (this gives me an excuse to be be a pj )
Hair album
pw:Romeo
Lady_q_tee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady_q_tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 7:53am
Hey kelie, at one time or another if you are transitioning you ill have to cut your ends of, to keep it mouisturised try using s-curl or stasofro it will make your hair soft. Also try co-washing. This will help greatly
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 1:20pm

Hi Kellie, you can slowly trim your ends as your hair grow. The other option is to just do a big chop. It really depends on you. I tried the former first, but it made me more tempted to relax so eventually I ended up doing the Big Chop and that worked great for me.

At first, I thought I would look weird because my face is round and I have a huge forehead, eventually I loved it.   I say, take your time to think about what you really want to do.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 8:32pm
Ladies thanks so much for the words of encouragement and the tips. God Bless y'all.

I think if i can keep it moisturized i would stand a chance. but i have not been able to get a real routine going that i know for sure works all the time for moisture. some days i hit it on the head and then i try to repeat it and its a disaster. Do you ladies spritz evryday to keep the moisture going or do you let it go til the next wash?

Edited by kellie7777 - March 08 2007 at 9:55pm
Last Relaxer Apr 06
Luvlybelizean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luvlybelizean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 12:21pm
hi kellie
i also went natural around the time you did.
my problems are the same as yours right now: how to keep the hair moisturized and healthy. I dont like it hen my hair breaks off or gets tangle and im a firm believer that whatever my hair type is it should be healthy and manageable.

i tied lusters revitalex, (its time for a new bottle) it was my sisters and i used it as a co only, it left my hair soft and moist. Thats what i use and since we're on the same path, maybe u should try it .. what the heck.

Kel for trimming i trim bit by bit: i do medium size braids or twists and trim only the very tips

my goal for now is to use some natural products like oils and sheabutter, fromlovewithnature.com have intersting recipes.
"A rose is still and always will be a rose"~Aretha Franklin.* Remember beauty is in the eyes of the beholder*
Last relaxer:4/06
Trans. styles: weaves&braids
goal:4-6" natural
Currently: 4"uneven
love59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 5:03pm
 There are more than one or two highly rated books about trasitioning on Amazon, I will hunt it out for you as I saw one the other day but I understand that they dedicate a lot on how to transition and how to look after the natural hair.

As for moisture I spritz 3 times a day followed by moisturiser. Keeping the moisture def requires regular consistent care. Also the exact meeting point between the relaxed and unrelaxed hair is very very fragile and most prone to breakage so needs good moisture

I believe one of the books goes a long the lines of " how to fall in love with your nappy hair", ill get back to you on that ...Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 11:01pm
Thanks again ladies, i will look for that Pink Oil Moisturizer RevitaLEX Moisture Replenishing Conditioner. Truth be told, i have no more room under my bathroom sink, but what's one more, especially if it will help me out. Wink
love59 i did a search on the book you mention and i found this website http://www.going-natural.com/  i bought howse's book and i saw this one after and thought, whatever, i am just not buying another book, but if you say it is a keeper i will look into it. The site seems really great.
Last Relaxer Apr 06
fatkat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2007 at 4:02am
   Hey girl, try a product called wave nouveau.  This is not a perm. You can find it at local beauty supply stores or walgreens.  It makes your hair very soft and managable.  I've used this on my boys hair since they were babies.  They do not have perms just thier natural hair and I braid it.  It's not greasy either.  It also comes in a spray form as well.  Try it.  Smile

Edited by fatkat - March 15 2007 at 4:03am
mz. dimples

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 10:05pm

fatkat, i was checking it out and from what i read it is saying that you should get it applied by a professional, so it sounds like a chemical based product (relaxer).  maybe i saw the wrong product, let me know.

currently i am transitioning from no lye relaxer for kids, beautiful beginnings to my own natural curls. my hair is very soft when i hit the right moisture balance but with the straightened ends, it looks messed up if i try to wear it open. but if i cut it then i cannot put it into a pony tail or pin it up. Transitioning... Confused
Last Relaxer Apr 06
blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 11:36am
Yea wave nouveau is a texturizer chemical
Hair album
pw:Romeo
fatkat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 3:32pm
  Wave nouveau is in a turquoise bottle .  It is not a perm, some people use it if they have an s- curl.  It's a lotion or a spray.  I use it daily on my kids hair, since they were babies.
mz. dimples

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 8:35pm
I tried to post the pic of the bottle i found but i couldn't so here goes.

Is it :

Soft Sheen Wave Nouveau - Moisturizing Lotion - 16.9oz blue bottle

Edited by kellie7777 - March 19 2007 at 8:38pm
Last Relaxer Apr 06
fatkat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 3:32am
 Yes that's it. I use it from their roots to their ends and comb through.  Try it once and see if it works for you.  If you are at the store spray a little or rub a little in you'r hands and see if it is something you would like.  Sorry I couldn't get back sooner, I am very sick and trying to fight this flu.  Good luck.   Sometimes they say that it's best to clip the ends.  You'r best bet is to go into a beauty salon and ask a licensed beautician what does she think, with your hair washed and hanging down, so that she can give you better answers.Smile

Edited by fatkat - March 20 2007 at 3:38am
mz. dimples

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 9:31pm
Fatkat I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well. there is something going around it seems. 
I never see products like this in my area, so it may take me a while to get. Thanks for your help. when i get it, i will let you know.  
Last Relaxer Apr 06
fatkat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 11:03pm
   Thank you, I hope it helps.Tongue
mz. dimples

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2007 at 11:43pm
Ladies, today, the BC was on my mind.i couldn't take it anymore.  the 2 textures. so i cut the 5 inches of straight hairs off got about 6 inches left. those 6 inches have shrunk to 1 inch. sheesh... my hubby doesn't know. i put extensions in my hair record time.. i don't know how i feel right now. but i am sure looking forward to the future. i need to buy some scarfs and stuff to tough it out.

Dear Lord Deliver me from temptation of chemical straightening. Teach me to moisturize and stretch for length. Help me to find and use the right products to help me keep my hairs well moisturized and my curls well defined. In Jesus name. Amen.

Now that i cut it, the ends feel like there is a ball at the very ends. Do you think i need to cut more?

i didn't take any pics, because i don't want to have to explain anything just yet.

Edited by kellie7777 - March 24 2007 at 11:44pm
Last Relaxer Apr 06
tffy2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tffy2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2007 at 12:22pm
If you don't want to do the BC right now and continue to transition, MOISTURE is going to be your best friend along with Kids Organics shea butter hair lotion (make sure you just use it on your new growth some women have found that it makes their relaxed end hard)

And another product that will help you is S-Curl

You don't have to do the BC right now if you don't want to.
Goal:Waistlength Natural Hair!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 11:51am
Hey tffy2004

i did it already, i did the BC, i went on your FOTKI some time back and i saw yours. i am in braids right now so my husband doesn't know i did it.  i got the S-curl from your FOTKI but now i can't find the kids organics in my area, i tried ordering online, but most websites didn't have it in stock. i need to find this stuff in a couple weeks cause my braids will be coming out and my husband will freak if my hair looks busted.... arrrgggh help. This is the part that gets me, the short stage, no pony tail.
Last Relaxer Apr 06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic