Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vee6390 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vee6390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SUGGESTIONS PLEASE
    Posted: March 08 2007 at 3:14pm

Hi everyoneSmile

My name is Veronica, but you can all call me Vee if you want.  I'm 17 and my hair is a few inches above my waist.  This is the first time I've ever posted on hairboutique.com and I chose this forum because I read everyone's comments and you all seem very nice.  I have been thinking about cutting my hair shorter, but I don't know how short.  I don't want to color it or anything, maybe just highlights.  I just wanted to introduce myself and ask if anyone had any suggestions for me.  It would be greatly appreciated.  This is my hair. Not a very good picture I know, but I just wanted you to see the color & texture.  It's pretty basic, looks a little darker than it really is here & it's always that straight.  Please reply with suggestions !! Thank you I really appreciate it.

Skydancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skydancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 3:24pm
Hi Vee!  I'm Lisa.

When you say shorter do you mean you want it shorter but still long or you want it in an actual 'short' style?  Because with such long hair I think your definition of shorter might be different to mine!

Also note this is the short hair forum, if you are definite you want to go short then we would be more than happy to help but if you are unsure you might want to try the General Board where you can get a more general response.

Oh, and I love the colour, I don't think it even needs highlights and if it always straight you are very lucky! Smile
"Sometime's you have to roll the hard six"

"I hope evil takes mastercard"
Vee6390 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vee6390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 3:39pm

Oh. Well. My definition of shorter is probably anywhere above the shoulders. I'm pretty sure I want to go short, so I'm going to keep my post here, but maybe I'll copy it into the general forum as well. Thanks =]

mikecuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikecuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 4:42pm

Vee, sounds like a great idea. does you hair have any color or highlites?If not, donate it to locks of love. How about this,I would suggest just a simple bob just off the shoulders w/ a side part. then some cheek length bangs or fringe could be added. I did a cut like this today for a lady with the same features that you have and she loves it. I would not do nothing drastic at all. How would you feel about that?

Mike
Snipette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 6:28pm
Vee

Could you imagine yourself with a style like this?

or longer like this

Or shorter like this

or

or with bangs (fringe) like this

Do you like any of these or have something different in mind?  Let me know what you think Smile
Vee6390 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vee6390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 9:15pm
Actually, all those pictures are really nice . But I was thinking of shorter than that . Idk . Tell me if I'm wrong or if I have the wrong features or face shape or something . You're all the experts . & your doing a great job too guys . Thanks
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 9:54pm
Your face appears to be oval in shape to me which means that you can get away with just about any hairstyle.  You should decide whether you want bangs or not; I think you should probably have bangs; I like all of Snippette's pictures that were posted but especially like the third one.  Good luck with whatever you decide but as always, keep us posted.
HAWG
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 2:08am
I also posted in the other forum,I agree with hawg,you have a very pretty face,so just about style is gonna look good on you.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the short hair,but maybe you should first just go to medium length or about mid-neck so it isnt too much of a shock for you.You can always go shorter later! Just want you to be sure.Hair as long as yours must have taken a while to grow.
You said you wanted to go shorter,do you have any ideas? Like,what is it that is making you want this change? Less maintance? someone else's style you saw that you liked? Just tryin to help.
Rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 7:57am
Originally posted by julesyjul88 julesyjul88 wrote:

...maybe you should first just go to medium length or about mid-neck so it isnt too much of a shock for you.You can always go shorter later! Just want you to be sure.Hair as long as yours must have taken a while to grow.

I have to agree.  I'm not so worried about the shock of going long to short.  In fact, a dramatic change in your look can draw a lot of attention and compliments which may boost your confidence if you're freaking out over cutting your hair short.

One other consideration...  You have a great opportunity to try a whole bunch of hairstyles.  Hair grows slowly but cutting it is easy and quick.  Going gradually gives you a chance to "try on" a bunch of different looks on your way to that short haircut you're wanting.  You can get a new hairstyle every week if you like.  Changing hairstyles during a grow-out is not nearly as easy.
Snipette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 1:00pm
Vee,

What about some thing like this?

or

or

Rocky also has a point that you have a great opertunity to try lots of styles in between.

Let me know what you think and post some picture after you have it cut. Wink

Vee6390 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vee6390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 1:20pm
I think I've decided to go short. I like the cut you showed snippette. But I don't like all the extra bangs and hair by the ears.
Snipette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 1:24pm
Vee,

Which picture did you like the most and i'll see if i have anything similar.

Smile
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 11:31am
Vee, Rocky offers sage advice on the opportunity you have to try a variety of styles.  I would also suggest that you try virtual makeovers to see how different styles will look with your face; some of the pictures shared here are of women with a very different facial structure than you have.

Edited by DaveDecker - March 10 2007 at 11:31am
Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 7:52pm
I think one thing people rarely mention is that cutting your hair "mid-length" is a bit pointless. It just looks like a shorter version of your old hair, which makes you miss your old hair. When you cut it short, it makes your head a different shape. If you go above the ears and messy, your hair is an entirely different shape. It's better to do it all in one guy IF you're REALLY set on doing it. I did that and I loved it. If I'd have gone mid length, I'd have hated the missing length. That's what my hair is like now, and it's boring, I like it either long enough to flow a little or short enough to be cute and ruffly.

I think the virtual makeover is a much better idea.

I would go very short but not quite so short as Snipette's second batch of pictures.

Also, highlights look kind of redundant on hair that's shorter than chin length bobs(and I think look the best on chin length bobs, incidentally). Your hair colour is fine the way it is, I think, it looks jet black which is a good colour for short hair.

Though her face shape is different, I think this style would be perfect for you -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/Wetflame/pixie-10.jpg

I would dye it black though if it's not already. Since your hair will be so short it'd only take 10 months or so to grow out.

Edited by Rosalie - March 10 2007 at 7:59pm
Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Rosalie Rosalie wrote:

I think one thing people rarely mention is that cutting your hair "mid-length" is a bit pointless. It just looks like a shorter version of your old hair, which makes you miss your old hair.

That's an interesting perspective, one that I'd never heard. There is no magic answer for everyone. Some people need to go short a little at a time. They want to remove 3-6 inches and not have too much of a change. Get used to that and do it again. I can see how for some people this would make them miss their long hair. If going five inches shorter makes you miss your long hair, then going 15 might be make you really miss it. Or maybe not, as with you. For some people, mid-length is the answer.

Some people regret cutting their hair and transfer that to someone else. "Don't cut your beautiful long hair. I did and I regret it." That doesn't apply to everyone and neither does your advice. Everyone is different.
tashanicole86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tashanicole86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 9:40pm
You are actually very lucky to have the face shape you do. You can pull off almost anything. If you do it would be nice if you did donate it. Here are some ones that I like.

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/9931/aj1px2.png

http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/2969/brittanydanielbed6qm.jpg

http://imdb.com/gallery/hh/1027847/iid_958274.jpg.html?path=pgallery&path_key=Armstrong%2C%20Samaire&seq=10
Americas%20Next%20Top%20Model%20AJAmericas%20Next%20Top%20Model%20AJ
Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 5:34pm
Quote If going five inches shorter makes you miss your long hair, then going 15 might be make you really miss it.

When you cut it to chin length and above, it makes your head a different shape. When it's "Mid length", it just looks like a shorter version of long hair; the same but "Inferior".

If you cut your hair all in one go, it's not only much more of a rush, but you won't have an annoying mid stage and will be able to see there and then if you like it. It's what you wanted, not a transitionary stage.

I think someone did mention something similiar earlier about cutting hair.

I think a virtual makeover is the best, and tying your hair up to resemble the short hair cut, maybe, so you know what it feels like to have shorter hair.
Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by tashanicole86 tashanicole86 wrote:

You are actually very lucky to have the face shape you do. You can pull off almost anything. If you do it would be nice if you did donate it. Here are some ones that I like.

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/9931/aj1px2.png

http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/2969/brittanydanielbed6qm.jpg

http://imdb.com/gallery/hh/1027847/iid_958274.jpg.html?path=pgallery&path_key=Armstrong%2C%20Samaire&seq=10
Americas%20Next%20Top%20Model%20AJAmericas%20Next%20Top%20Model%20AJ

1st and 3rd are a bit guyish, IMO. The first is the kind of haircut a lot of japanese (male) popstars have.

Second one is adorable, but may be a bit too extremely short for a first short cut.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic