Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - SOMEONE - ANYONE pls help regarding botched perm !
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SOMEONE - ANYONE pls help regarding botched perm !

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cattiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cattiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SOMEONE - ANYONE pls help regarding botched perm !
    Posted: March 13 2007 at 2:49pm
Hello all, I am new here: first posting -- need help.
I have blonde (colored) hair - original color is light brown/dirty blonde... now also with gray for sure. I have shoulder length hair that I have been growing out from super-duper short for about two years. I have lots of wonderful curls underneath, but very thick hair and the top-most layers are more just wavy/straight, so in order to enjoy and maximize the curls better, I have been using various curl-enhancer/activator creams and blow dry w/diffuser to keep the overall curly look. This works fine and I was very happy with the look - healthy, kind of retro, BUT - it took sooooo long to do my hair and in my infinite wisdom, I thought if I got a spiral perm it would give me the overall curl that I wanted without all the products and time to get ready -- wash n' wear -- so to speak.
Here is the problem: the gal that permed my hair shampooed AND conditioned my hair before perming and the perm didn't take so well... duh. I have tiny (stupid) spirals near the top of the hair shaft (near roots) but the bottom 3-4" of each is totally straight and looks like crap-o-la. Shocked
It looks like straw... and even my pretty fat curls underneath are messed up now. They have offered to 'fix' my hair for me so I went away and am using protein packs and also bought/used Biolustre' product (recommended here in the forum by many) and am just waiting to build up the structure again. It is starting to feel better - softness-wise, however, it still looks so ugly. I can do NOTHING with it other than pin it up. Even the curl enhancer products will now no longer work on the straight parts. It won't curl. Just hangs there and looks stringy.

Notes: I have had perms before, but not for about 15 years or so. I use Wella(r) Color Charm color with a creme developer - have done it myself for many years with no problems. I am not on any meds that would have affected the perm 'taking' -- it really was determined that the gal who did it screwed up because the conditioner she put on effectively 'blocked' the perm solution from getting to the shaft of the hair -- is this the correct analysis?

So here are my questions:
1) Will it indeed be possible to 'fix' my hair, as in, re-perm it after a few weeks - done properly - will it 'take'? Maybe a nice body wave or a fat spiral?
2) Why won't the curl enhancer products work anymore? Is it really damaged hair, or just permed improperly?
3) How long should I wait -- if at all?
4) Suggestions? Do I need to cut it?

Sorry for such a long posting; trying to be as thorough as possible in the description of the situation.
Any response would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you all!!

Edited by Cattiva - March 13 2007 at 8:57pm
"Nothing risque', nothing gained."
groberts80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote groberts80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2007 at 8:38pm
Well that is crazy that she conditioned your hair before the perm was put in, even amatuers know your not supposed to do that. Perms are very damaging to the hair. You mention your hair looks like straw, I would definetly not try to put more chemicals in it anytime soon. Its a good idea to use the biolustre and build your hair strength back up like you mentioned. I would wait at least three months before attempting another perm. And within those three months I would condition like crazy and you might also try Nexxus' Emergencee hair treatment, the stuff does amazing and also Redken's CAT protein treatments in addition to the biolustre. Good luck and Im sorry that a so called professional messed up your hair.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2007 at 4:06am
Agree with groberts80...I also wouldnt be sure to go back to them if you do have it redone.Even if they are doing it for free...they didnt do it right the first time,I have NEVER heard of shampooing and conditioning before a perm!
I would go with your gut,and if you dont trust them,find someone else.

Edited by julesyjul88 - March 15 2007 at 4:07am
Cattiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cattiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2007 at 10:41am
Hi groberts80 & julesyjul88 -- Thank you both for your comments. I am very afraid to go back to the same place and they will give me other services as reimbursement instead if I don't want them to mess with my hair further. Question though: would the conditioner before the perm have only just blocked the perm from taking or actually really damaged the hair? I mean, if it were done properly, why wouldn't it take? I am just really searching for something to do with my hair because I am a business person and really at a loss as to how to wear my hair in public now because it just hangs and is part curly/part frizzy/part straight. Just DO not know how to even wear it for business functions/meetings. Feel so very ugly and am wondering if I should just bite the bullet and go get a lot cut off so that I can have a style in the interim? Can you tell me why the curl enhancer products no longer work either? Thank you so much. 
vikki7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vikki7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2007 at 2:46am
It may not be working because when hair is extremely damaged, it quits accepting additional chemicals or products. The cuticle shaft has  been "blown". You can try an epsom salt treatment, to help rebuild the salt bonds in your hair. I posted the "recipe" in another topic: Cotton Candy Hair. Good Luck!
Cattiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cattiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2007 at 2:56pm
Hi everyone - thanks for all the thoughts and responses. I have been treating my hair to lots of protein and care, but then did finally go to a great lady - very professional - for a consultation and we decided between us that I just needed to cut it and get it to a healthier length and give it the chance it needs to bounce back. I was sad Cry and now have to start over, but short hair isn't foreign to me, so I will get over it. As my gal said, I just need to think of it as my 'summer do' and keep smiling. It is becoming on me and certainly easier to care for - and very wash n wear. I will keep conditioning it and giving it the TLC it needs as it grows out.

sigh....
ah well, live and learn!
Kendra
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic