Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can Hair be Highlighted Blonde Without Bleach?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
laurie_lu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurie_lu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can Hair be Highlighted Blonde Without Bleach?
    Posted: March 15 2007 at 3:08pm
Can medium brown hair be lightened or highlighted to a blonde shade without the use of bleach? A coworker went completely blonde after having med brown hair and she claims that bleach was not used on her hair. She said it was a 'blonde' shade that was applied over her own color.

If it is possible, I really want this for my  hair.  Bleaching highlights have destroyed my hair in the past and I don't want to go back there.
-= laurie_lu =-
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2007 at 3:44pm
Medium brown won't be blonde--at least a nice shade, not brassy--unless you apply bleach.  I've seen nice shades of single process blondes from those who have naturally medium ash blonde hair.  Was her hair medium ash blonde? 

Bleach really is the only way to go if you have hair darker than medium ash blonde. 

Rebekah

Edited by Rebekah - March 15 2007 at 3:45pm
laurie_lu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurie_lu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2007 at 4:02pm
That's what I thought too.  She said she had it professionally done.  Her hair use to be reddish brown.
-= laurie_lu =-
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2007 at 8:34pm
Sometimes colorist tell their patrons that they are not using bleach simply to put their customer's mind at ease.   For some reason people are scared of bleach.  When it's really the best way to color hair with the least damage, if done correctly. 

Rebekah

PS Overlapping is what really causes the damage.  Most people's hair can handle being bleached three times before it breaks.  I've seen colorist apply bleach over almost white highlights---now that will cause damage and breakage.
laurie_lu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurie_lu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 7:46am
What about a drugstore products like Revlon Colorsilk in a blonde shade?  How does a product like that make hair lighter?  Does it use bleach.  Sorry for the stupid questions.
-= laurie_lu =-
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 10:37am
No it does not.  What lightens the hair is the developer...which comes in 20, 30, 40 and higher.  In general, the developer will lift the color of hair 2, 3, and 4 levels, however there are many exceptions to this assumption.  Then the dye will be deposited into the hair shaft creating the final color.  Color lifted + dye color = final color.

Bleach is nice in that it lifts the color inside the hair shaft as far as we would like it to, say pale yellow in most cases.  Then a toner is applied over the hair shaft to create the final color. 

Hope this answered your question.

Rebekah
Slipknothartgir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slipknothartgir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2007 at 3:18pm
Do not use Revlon Colorsilk! Have u ever colored your hair before?I agree with Rebekah, bleach is nice.It does lifet very well.Be careful with it though.I'd get it done at a Salon though.I think foil is the best way to do it.It looks natural.Cuz, if u mess it up at home, then u will have to fit it.I got my sister-in-law to do it.Now, I just touch up my roots with foils.I have had her do my hair for a year now.If u knew someone u can trust,but I had to see how she did others hair first.If u never colored it before i'd go to a hairdresser.By the way I'd buy some Artec color shampoo that will help the color from fading & will keep u from having to color it as much.It adds color into the cuticle fiber.Which is made for colored or bleached hair.They have all kinds of colors.I got Lemon Flower for my blonde highlights.My hair looks so shiny & bright from it.That my husband's Nana asked me if I dyed it again.Well, good luck!!
laurie_lu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurie_lu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2007 at 4:01pm
The only time I have colored my hair is when I used a semipermenent color like Castings.  That was to cover up the white streaks that were the result of leaving bleach on my hair too long.

ps.  I'm a huge Slipknot fan.
-= laurie_lu =-
Slipknothartgir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slipknothartgir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2007 at 12:22pm
Cool, My ex b/f got me into Slipknot.I'm now married to a Metalhead.I'd love to know how your hair turns out.Let us know.I'd for sure get it done at a Salon.Maybe u should go to where your co-worker went.What color of blonde do u want?If u want alot of blonde.Make sure u tell the hair dresser to do heavey chunks of foils.I wouldn't use a cap.They hurt,plus foil is turns out much nicer.Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic