Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Non-damaging hair-styles - suggestions please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non-damaging hair-styles - suggestions please
    Posted: March 21 2003 at 5:04pm
As my hair is getting longer (shoulder-length), I would like to know the least damaging way to wear it.
I don’t want to leave it open while I am outside or at work.
Currently, I am using a doubled up scrunchie. I make a ponytail first and then pull the hair into a bun-like structure and secure with a second loop of the scrunchie.
When I get home and release my hair, I notice that it is bent out of shape by this. In the longer run, the points at which the hair is bent may well get damaged due to the continued physical stress.

I have also tried those ficcare clips but have the same reservations – they cut into the hair strands, no matter how “gently”.
The only thing I can think of is braiding/plaiting the hair in a simple braid, but this means that the hair is continually pulled back from the face and the roots are stretched in one direction on a daily basis.

I would really appreciate any suggestions on this.

Thanks.
Uzi

wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2003 at 2:09am
Just so things aren't stretched and pulled in only one direction all day long each and every day, try different yet "safe" hairstyles each day. That is once you find out what styles are safe.

Now I am hoping someone else answers your post, cause I want to know as much as you do.

But for years... 22 to be exact... I would braid my long hair after washing it. Never in tight braids, just gentle french braids. Either two (one on each side) or just the one in back. This way my hair was out of the way as it dried, and when I took them out my hair had beautiful waves.

You talk about being pulled in one direction all the time. But I never had problems. That is definitely less damaging then brushes and blowdryers.

Now, since I have cut my hair (just recent!!!) I have been letting it air dry loose and I have natural waves I never knew.

But when it is dry I use a plastic clip, can't think of what they are called... the claw clip things. I have some medium sizes, not the ones that are huge, but mine are about 2 inches long. And I have a way that I put it up in a ponytail so it doesn't pull. I have been doing this for about 2 years and it works.

I bend over and gather my hair and make a loose twist, stand up and clip it with the claw-clasp thing, then I open it again and secure it closer to my head. It doesn't pull my hair doing it this way like it could if it were a free moving ponytail.

It looks pretty too because the highlights sort of flow down into a swirl and the ponytail becomes layered. Now that my hair is shorter it barely works for me, but it's cute. I have some hair underneath that ends up loose.

I hope some people answer your post so we both get ideas!!

wittils
Precious is the day... it happens only once in a lifetime.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2003 at 4:14am
Thanks Wittils

Ooooo your hair sounds lovely.
I'm going to try the claw clip thing you do.
I must be tender-headed tho' because no matter how gentle, each hair that is pulled causes pain, not just pressure.

Anyone out there that can help us with more ideas, please?
Uzi

turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2003 at 5:13pm
i would suggest a loose braid down the back or a lightly twisted bun held up with hair sticks. these seem to be the most gentle for me.
knotty View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2003 at 11:35pm
i have the same concerns as you. i like to wear my hair a bun but it always feels like it's pulling at my scalp. how can i make a bun so it doesn't cause pressure on my scalp or hairline?
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2003 at 6:39am
Hi Uzma - I have had my hair long (bsl, waist)(then cut it all off last year and am on the grow)I think it is maybe the years and years of doing it, but I can remember it hurting more to wear my hair when i was younger. I really believe that my roots have become stronger due to the daily wearing it up and they no longer hurt as much. I can wear it up all day and not feel anything...Now, i do take it down every few hours and massage my scalp. i don't use scrunchies or goody bands - I use a hair band that is made out of a knit yarn with a slight stretch. I have them in many colors and they wrap around my pony tail 4 or 5 times but never become too tight. i do the same thing you do, except I take the ends and fan them out before pulling partway through...kind of like Phoebe on Friends. i also use the clippy....but I know that once my hair reaches about 21-22 inches it will be too thick for one of those....It doesn't grab all of it and ends up falling out. i tell you this as I think from your hair description yours is thick also...you may want to try the biggest clip- not the 2 inch.

As your hair becomes longer and longer the pull will be from the actual weight of the hair and not so much from the band anymore...Instinctively, I feel that wearing it up only helps to make the roots stronger...Just don't use any goody bands or bands with a diameter of less than 1/3" I feel that is too much of a "point load" on one spot of your hair.....AS far as it bending...I really think God made it malleable for that reason...He wanted us to be able to move it up and out of the way when neccessary for survival.....I am rambling...

jacqui
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2003 at 1:59pm
Jacqui & Turquoise Girl

Thank you both for your helpful suggestions.
I will try them all out.

Cheers

Uzi
Uzi

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2003 at 1:52pm
Ok what about this? I saw a Picture the other day, of long hair gently pulled back and wrapped (pretty tightly) with a long peice of fabric. So, the fabric is wrapped all the way down the length of the hair. Or wrapping two ponys could work too.

The ends were still sticking out, but I would think that this generally would be really protective.

Plus it looked really cool, maybe too casual for the office, but fun.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic