Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how to seal hair wefts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nursie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nursie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to seal hair wefts
    Posted: March 19 2007 at 2:57pm
this is meant to be just a brief explanation/demonstration of what 'weft sealing' is....this is meant for someone really new to extensions, so if you think you know all there is to know about extensions just keep it movin'
when i was new here, i read about quite a few people used 'fray block' to seal wefts....i really thought (dunno why) that it was just people who do sew-ins that 'sealed' the end of the braids ( i had read THAT much at the time).....after a couple of months i realized that lots of people seal wefted hair (especially beauty supply store hair) to stop the hair from shedding. luckily, i did not get hair that shed (i've used bohyme,rkhair,and jetset)....but i started using fray block just in case, sometimes wefts start to shed hair AFTER you've installed and yes it is too late to seal the wefts once they are on your head

a brand of hair that is newest to me is DLUX, its really pretty and i want to switch to straight hair for my upcoming beach vacation.....however, if you do a quick search here many people have found the hair wefts to really shed..so since im determined to use the hair, but want it to stay ON my head not the floor, i sealed the wefts with fray block,but after i let it 'cure' the DLUX  still shed,visibly just with brushing with my fingers.....so months after that fiasco, i finally got out of my cheap-O mode and bought the weft sealer that sherrie sells....here is what i mean:

what you will need: hair, weft sealer, small applicator bottle

the squirt bottle gives a lot more control, just run it along the length of the weft, applying it directly to the weft material....in this pic ive worked too slowly and some of the sealer runs down into the hair (move down the length of the weft quickly to avoid that, it makes that bit of hair very stiff)
flip the weft over and do the other side, sherries sealer comes with a little nailpolish-type brush but after about 30seconds of that i realized i would be too impatient for that and put it in the squeeze bottle

after you get both sides of the weft saturated, hang it up to dry, i did mine outside because it was pretty out and the weft sealer does have a super-strong odor

i left it for about a half hour, when i came back all was dry, and i gave it the aggressive-brushing test with my round bristle brush......not a loose hair in sight YAY me!

now before some smartie pants says 'why dont you just buy hair that doesnt shed?', this is hair that i had anyway and i WANT to make it work....i also think sealing wefts is a good preventative strategy to making the wefts last longer

i used weft sealer from here: http://www.hairextensions101.com/main/index.php?&vmcchk=1
if you are experimenting and wanna use fray-block, its sold in the craft/sewing department of wal mart and looks like this:   

if you want DLUX hair, its on sale now, and just so you'll know it comes super straight in the pack but after you wash it will have some nice natural waves to it, its at http://www.yourhairshop.com/

ok, so that wasnt as brief as i expected it to beLOL.......but now if one of you comes back and asks if you can still seal wefts AFTER they have been installed i am gonna HUNT YOU DOWN!!LOLLOLLOL

Edited by nursie - March 19 2007 at 3:22pm
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 7:12pm
Thanks so much Nursie! This is a great tutorial!

Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 1:25pm

Excellent demo Nursie!!!!Thumbs%20Up

Sherries new weft sealer is AMAZING!!! This product is MUCH better than Aleene's Stop Fraying because there is no 5 day cure time before the bond can be exposed to water.. I think the consistency of this product is better than Fray Block because IMO Fray Block and Fray Check are much too watery to be effective weft sealers.. Sherrie's weft sealer dries quickly, has no "cure" time before the bond can be exposed to water and this product is the right viscosity for an effective weft sealer..

Kudos to Sherrie for bringing this product to us!!! 

Edited by Divavocals - March 20 2007 at 1:26pm
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic