Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How To Tone Down Strawberry Blonde Roots?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dawning View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How To Tone Down Strawberry Blonde Roots?
    Posted: April 05 2007 at 1:15am
I used a very light neutral blonde from Sally Beauty and mixed it with a 40 developer. I didn't want to make the mistake of not leaving the mixture on past the orange stage, so I left it on for 45 minutes, just at the root area. I was trying to match the color that was already on my ends. I didn't put anything on the already lightened ends, so I wouldn't damage them.

The result isn't terrible, but my root area is a little brighter and kind of a strawberry blonde, compared to my more beige blonde ends. I, actually, thought the sales person at Sally handed me a medium blonde neutral color. I didn't realize it said "very light blonde," until I checked the box to type this.

What should I put on these roots to make them look less strawberry blonde? Would a toner work? If so, what color should I get, and should I mix it with a 10 or 20 developer? I don't want to lighten the roots any more. If anything, I'd rather them be a little darker blonde than what they are now.

Do you think a toner or medium ash blonde would be the best idea? Which would be the least damaging and have the longest lasting effect?

I bought the Violet Shimmer Lights shampoo and conditioner, but they don't seem to do much to counteract the roots. Plus, I can't stand the smell.

I tried taking pictures, but the color doesn't really show up on them. Sorry.

Edited by Dawning - April 05 2007 at 1:30am
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 10:15am

You could try an ash toner, with 10 vol as to deposit colour, not lighten it, but you may need to apply this through the whole of your hair to balance out the colou/toner. Try applying to the roots first and see the finished results, if the tone is diffrent from the rest you will then need to apply it to the rest of your hair.

Karen Smile

ps, this has probably happened to the root are as it is new hair growth.
karen sanderson
Dawning View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 12:02pm
Hi Karen! Thanks for your reply. I was going to try the ash toner, but then I got scared, because so much of my scalp is dried out, that I decided to stop messing with it myself and go to a professional. The guy I saw talked about adding lowlights and highlights to break up all the warmth/gold/orange tones. It sounded good, but when he started drying my hair, it looked EXACTLY THE SAME!!!!! OMG, I'm so upset! I paid him $200!!!!! If anything, the lowlights added more gold tones. I even asked him what color the lowlights would be. He said they would be a light brown, but they're gold too. The weird thing was that he thought it would be a good idea to make the bottom all light brown (darker than what it was) to "trick the eye." I don't know what kind of trick he was trying to play. If anything, it only draws more attention to the fact that the top of my hair is totally bleached out to a brassy color! I talked to him about trying something ashy, but he said it would only turn my hair a bright green. The entire top of my hair is brassy/warm and the bottom is brown with cool blonde highlights. 

What should I do??? I'm terrible at confronting people, and I'm not even sure he knows what the heck he's doing. Should I go ahead and try the ash toner? Are there different shades of ash toner? 
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 12:40pm
You have the legal right for the salon to fix your hair, he has coned you out of money a simple ash toner would have sorted out your colour, even doing this yourself, and he has known this, but he has wanted to make his money, which I think is shamefull. I can't prove that, but it defo sounds like it. So you go back and demand he fixes your hair until YOU get want you want, not what he thinks you would like, it does sound as if he messed up your hair in the first place and didnt know how to fix it.

I am a hairdresser, and I only give what the client requests, I would try and persued them into a diffrent colour or cut, only if I felt it was in their best intrest, but if they say no, then I do exactly as the want.

I cant really say now whether the ash toner will do anything with your hair, he is right with one thing it may turn your hair green, now that it has brown in it.

If you send me a pic, I maybe able to advise you a little better, sorry.

Karen.

Ps, get him to fix your hair, free of charge.
karen sanderson
allyssa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allyssa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 4:01pm
You sound just like me and the same exact thing happened to me. I agree with you about confronting people. They (professional stylists) should know what they are doing especially when they charge so much money. Color is a science and can be difficult, especially with a correction. I just wish that stylists would admit that a job is way over their head instead of telling people that they can fix it. I have had my hair color ruined so many times and wasted so much money that I am just thinking of growing out my natural color and leaving it alone! It is just not worth it anymore. I am not sure where you live but there is an awesome hairstylist in NYC named Paul C. He is great but he is also far from me and with 2 children it is impossible for me tpo see him on a regular basis. I don't think that you will be able to "fix" your color unless you strip the color completely and start over. I am not a professional but have had mistakes fixed in the past and that's what had to be done. Paul once told me that it is like painting a wall. You will not get a true color on a colored background. You have to paint it white and start over. I feel your pain!!! Make sure you condition your hair in the meantime, try Crede products they have worked well for me.
Allyssa

Edited by allyssa - April 08 2007 at 4:04pm
Dawning View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 4:28pm

Hi Allyssa! I saw your post about how to tone down warmth, and have been watching to see if you get any answers. Maybe someone will be able to help both of us. What do you think about trying Karen's suggestion of adding an ash toner?

I never ask sylists to fix my hair. Usually, I just never go back, but this is so ugly! It might not be so bad on someone with warm skin, but I have pale skin with pink undertones. This color totally washes me out and makes me look sick. Even so, I can't understand what the heck the guy was going for when he thought he'd "trick the eye" with all the dark hair on the bottom. It's the exact OPPOSITE of how hair would naturally turn blond in the sun -- bleached on the top, dark on the ends. Very strange! Like you, I've had so many people mess up my hair over the years, that I figured I couldn't be much worse. 

I don't live anywhere near New York, although we visited their last June. Smile I finally got to see Wicked! I want to try the ash toner, but I'm still a little afraid that my hair might turn as green as the Wicked Witch's (Elphaba's) skin!

Good luck to you!  
allyssa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allyssa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 8:43pm
Hey Dawning, I still can't believe the similarities in our stories! I also have pink undertones and cannot stand gold tones or tones that are too warm. If you don't want to go to a salon then try the toner. Try mixing medium or dark ash brown hair color half and half with shampoo. Apply it only to the areas that are warm. If that doesn't work try the ash hair color straight without mixing it. I have done this before and it worked well and tones down the brass in my hair. Make sure you tone with violet because the blue will give the gold a greenish cast. Always refer to the color wheel. I also read good reviews for L'oreal's Tone Refiner which tones down brassiness and comes in blonde or brunette. I hope this helps! Good luck!
Dawning View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2007 at 4:28pm
Karen, I took your advice and called the hairdresser. I told him that I wanted an ash toner, but he said he didn't think it was a good idea. He said he would try the lowlights again, a little darker, so they would be noticeable and help hide the orangeness. I was insistent and told him I just didn't see it being right, until I had a toner over the whole thing. He said that would be an entirely new color correction, so he would have to CHARGE ME AGAIN! Can you believe it??? My husband is so mad! I'm about to go there in a few minutes, but I still don't know if I can make the guy listen to me and do the freakin' ash toner! What is WITH these guys?!?
allyssa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allyssa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2007 at 9:42pm
What happened at your appointment? did he fix it? I am going Friday to someone else. Actually, the person who colored my hair brown the first time. I hope it worked out for you!
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 9:21am
Hi Dawning,
Glad you went back to the stylist and told him your not happy. As I said before your hair may now turn green if a toner was applyed to your hair as it will countract with the brown and blonde in your hair, maybe give it a green cast all over.

I hope that it works out this time for you, and I hope you tell him you will not be returning to his salon in the future.

Let me know how you get on please.

KarenWink
karen sanderson
Dawning View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 11:34am

Hi Karen and Allyssa, I went to the appointment last night, expecting to have to fight a litttle. He seemed pretty willing to please, after all. He ended up putting a violet based semipermanent color (maybe ash blonde) all over the top section. It didn't cover everything 100%, but it does look a lot better now. I'm wondering why he insists on semipermanent. Won't I just have the same problem again when this fades? Also, he charged me again -- $50!!!

karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 2:32pm
The cheek he had in charging you for his mistake, you should have refused to pay. Its your right that he fixed it free.

You could have done that yourself at home by apply a violet toning shampoo, and it would have cost you loads less than $50. I am from the UK, and a good violet shampoo would cost about £8.00.

If you feel the problem does happen again, just buy a violet shampoo, if thats what helped. You can use it everyday to help lighten the blonde and tone down the brassyness.

Well I'm so glad you got something done, and you are fairly happy with it, but a damn cheek he charged you.Ouch Thats what I would have given him as payment a black eye, lol.

KarenThumbs%20Up
karen sanderson
allyssa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allyssa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 8:57pm

Hey, I'm glad that it sort of worked out for you. If you are still unhappy don't go back to him. Try this link http://www.haircolorist.com/find_colorist.php  to see if there is a certified hair colorist in your area. It seems as if the stylist has to meet a pretty high standard in order to be certified. There is not a certified colorist near me so I can't speak from experience. Nevertheless, it's worth a try instead of trying to find someone on your own and taking a chance.

If you want to try something at home go to Sally's and get something with a violet base or ask them, they can usually help! Allyssa
Dawning View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2007 at 11:34pm
Thanks for the link, Allyssa. Unfortunately, the closest person to me is over an hour away. Honestly, I don't know how much this semipermanent really helped. I washed my hair today and still saw an awful lot of orange, while I was drying it. It seems like these people ought to know their profession a little better. I didn't do so hot myself, with my attempt, but then I'm not trained. I hope your appointment works out on Friday. Let me know!
allyssa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allyssa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2007 at 8:21am
If I were you I would get a dark ash blonde hair color, mix it half and half with shampoo and apply it only to the hair that is brassy. I have done that before because my ends were perfect but I had a couple of highlights that were brassy. I put the color only on the brassy highlights and they toned down beautifully (that was when my hair was long). If that doesn't work try the color full strength without mixing it with the shampoo. Next time I go to the store I can look to see which color I used, if you want? I can't remember the brand.
allyssa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allyssa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2007 at 8:32pm
Well I finally took the plunge and lightened my hair! I think my stylist did a great job. I should have just gone to see him before....anyways, it is finally one color with tone on tone highlights. It looks like Jessica Simpson's hair color in my other post (Need advice before Friday). I wish I could figure out how to post pictures from my computer so that you could see the before and after. It is a huge change, and it is definately better than gold and brass! Now I just need length...Allyssa
Dawning View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2007 at 9:36pm
Oh my gosh! I'm so happy for you, Allyssa! I would love to have the color of Jessica Simpson's hair. What kind of a base color did your stylist use, dark blonde or a lighter blonde? I was thinking if I could get someone to do a medium blonde base with light blonde highlights and caramel lowlights, it would be perfect, maybe even like Kelly Ripa's color. Did you take your picture of Jessica with you when you had your appointment? I had several magazine photos with me. The guy kept saying how my hair turned out exactly like the pictures. In reality, it was NOTHING like any of them.

Guess what? I got a letter from the salon where I had my hair done, last week, saying that the stylist will no longer be working for them. I was thrilled, because then I was able to make an appointment with a higher ranking stylist, who seemed really good. While I was in the waiting area, I spoke to one of her clients, who had a beautiful blonde shade. Now, I don't have to worry about seeing him there!

I couldn't get in with her, until the middle of next month, though. I'll deal with this, until then, but I'm a little worried about what to do when the dark roots start to show. I'm not used to having one color, like this. I've read about products for people with grey roots, but they all say it doesn't lighten, so it wouldn't work to cover dark roots, even temporarily. Have you heard of anything that could be used every day, like maybe even a blonde spray, anything so that line of dark roots doesn't show? 

If you figure out how to post pictures, I'd love to see the before/after!
allyssa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allyssa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 11:13am
I didn't bring the photo of Jessica because it was on my computer and I didn't have time to print it, but I did bring one similar and he did it exactly like the picture. He lightened the entire base to a light blonde (level 9) then lowlighted with a 7. It was more of a tone on tone color which blends more. Next time I see him I think I will get more lowlights. It is hard to get used it, going from dark to light. I think I will like it better once my own roots start growing out and then I can use that color to lowlight some more. I am on my way though (I think)! I still can't figure out how to post pictures from my computer. Do you know how?
Dawning View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 12:26pm
Allyssa, when you reply to the post, you can click on the tree picture, which is "insert image." You'll then have an option to browse your computer for pictures. Hope it works!
allyssa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allyssa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 4:38pm
Just an update! When after I washed my hair, the tone on tone loowlights as well as the toner used washed out and my hair is too yellow! I went back to see him and he lowlighted my hair again. Another mistake...now the lowlights seem brassy and the color didn't take in certain places. He didn't listen to me and didn't use a filler. He also didn't get close enough to my scalp and the lowlight look like they have grown out and now my roots are starting to show. I GIVE UP!!!I am just going to grow out my natural hair color and suffer in the meantime. At least I have the summer off from work so I can hide. Allyssa
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic