Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Matting with Extensions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
peanutschipmunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanutschipmunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Matting with Extensions
    Posted: April 20 2007 at 9:13pm
Has anyone experienced any type of hair matting while wearing their extensions?  If so, what did you do about it.  Did you wait till you removed the extensions to deal with it or did you try to get the mats out with the extensions in?

Thanks for any replies
I have 14" hair dreams extensions and seamless extensions.
saucyblossom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saucyblossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 9:29pm
What kind of extensions are they?
Early years are learning years, make them count!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saucyblossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 9:32pm
Duh, Sorry, I missed it in the signature.
It seems to me that some of my clients are just prone to them and some aren't. It may be a matter of hair texture or care. The mats always seem to come out on removal, with  very gentle combing, but I don't know of any way to remove the mats while the extensions are stilll installed.....
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 9:48pm
If you are experiencing matting you need to either get the mats out or get the hair out ASAP. If its matting, not just tangling it will only get worse and cause a real problem, and possibly damage your hair if you let it go.

I would suggest contacting the stylist who installed them and having her take a look to see whats going on.

How long have you had the extensions in? If its been close to 3 months it may be time to have them removed. Are you keeping the bonds seperated at the root? A looper brush will help you brush at the root area without snagging or catching on the bonds.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saucyblossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 9:57pm
I agree with Sherrie, to clarify my prior post , if a client has matting it usually occurs toward the end of the life of the install. I did have one client who showed up with horrible matting on  one side of her head- but when we went over her routine , I discovered  she had "straightened" her fusion bonds with the flat iron and melted them into a big matted mess.

Another client with baby fine hair wasn't braiding at night  and I believe that was causing her hair to mat at the root level from her hair rubbing on her pillow al night....

But as SHerrie said , if this is a fairly new install, you should take them out and figure out the problem.   THe mats WILL come out , but you have to be VERY gentle.
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by saucyblossom saucyblossom wrote:

I discovered  she had "straightened" her fusion bonds with the flat iron and melted them into a big matted mess.

OMYGOSH...Confused that had to be a mess to removeShocked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saucyblossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 11:34pm

Oh yeah- it was a nightmare- but it did come out with lots of patience and acetone....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanutschipmunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2007 at 8:17pm
I don't have alot of matting, just where one bond is.  I have had the extensions in for a month.  And I just went in for an appt this week.  She just told me to be more careful with my brushing at the root area so that I don't break my own natual hair.  I have been trying my best to keep the bonds from "marrying" each other.  I use what is called a bristle brush.  The have a picture of it on hairdreams. com.  That is the hair and products that I use.

Thanks.
valentine319 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valentine319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2007 at 12:13am

Are you using a looper brush?  Also I recommend using a heat resistant spray to make brushing easier whether vevisal or something else with silicone.

Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2007 at 10:16am

Finger comb your hair from the roots to the ends 2-3 times a day, it'll only take a minute or two. If you find any tangling/matting GENTLY separate the bonds from one another.  If you do it daily, a few miutes a day, you won't have to spend a lot of time going row to row untangling your hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanutschipmunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 10:24pm
Thanks for the help.  She had me buy a bristle brush that she sells in her store.   I have started the finger combing already and I have started braiding my hair before going to bed.  I wasn't doing this before so, this may help also. 
Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by peanutschipmunk peanutschipmunk wrote:

Thanks for the help.  She had me buy a bristle brush that she sells in her store.   I have started the finger combing already and I have started braiding my hair before going to bed.  I wasn't doing this before so, this may help also. 

Are you seeing any improvement with the finger combing and braiding?
ALL EYES ON ME

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanutschipmunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2007 at 9:12pm
Yes, I am seeing improvement with the finger combing and braiding. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic