Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How much Biotin is bad?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
StephanieM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StephanieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much Biotin is bad?
    Posted: May 28 2008 at 7:03am
I am new here. For the same reason. I went to the pharmacy last night. I have lost half my hair since December. I am very upset about it as I too had very thick hair. He started me on 1000 mg a day of biotin and a one a day multiple vitamin. My last bloodwork was ok and I am wondering it it could be the new blowdryer. I am grasping at straws. I am under an extreme amount of stress. I don't know. It is horribly upsetting.
xBritxBratx93x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xBritxBratx93x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 2:28pm
I never heard that it causes you to start balding, I take 2 pills twice a day that are 5mg. I havent had any hair loss.
Sarsvati View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarsvati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 1:50pm
I don't know from personal experience. But, using logic, I know that biotin is is a form of vitamin B, whic h is water soluble. Thjis means you will just pee out any extra of the vitamin you don't need. On the other hand, I don't think taking megadoses will do anymore good than taking %100 or a little more of the daily value; it will just cost more money.

Since your hair loss is due to the medication it may be causing some other kind of deficiency (I can only speak generally her with an educated guess)? You may want to look up the side effects of this medication to see if it blocks the obsorption of certain vitamins or minerals, or something like that. Or you could just take a multivitamin for good measure.

Edited by Sarsvati - April 24 2007 at 1:53pm
Jinnix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jinnix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 1:23pm
Hey I'm a 16 year old male who recently lost some hair while on a medication. I want to get it back to it's natural thickness so I started taking biotin 5mg a day. Is this too much?, Because I've heard that too much biotin can cause balding?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic