Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mariska Hargitay Pixied?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 8:44pm

Fat, Where exactly did you hear that?  From Kramer or from a real source?  Wink
[/QUOTE] You can quote me on this: Her long hair was award-winning.

Do you guys ever remember her looking like this? Yikes.

I hope they gave her a handsome bonus to go short again.
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2007 at 10:03pm
She was looking great with it long. Now will this save the show? I keep hearing that NBC has trouble with it's line up. Fox keeps getting into the 1 spot while NBC is in 4th. I just hope they go one more season before pulling the plug.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
ssjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2007 at 1:43am
Originally posted by fatmoogas fatmoogas wrote:

Don't see why you have to be so doubtful and irritable about it SSJ. There is nothing new about celebs having their hair cut for movies or TV series: think of Lauren Holly for example.

Are you just miffed because it seems Marisa didn't actually want to go short? Remember you're the one who keeps repeating ad nauseam that every woman should choose for herself. In this case, it actually seems that Marisa didn't really want to cut her hair.

P.S. They are quotation marks around what Marisa said.

Not miffed that she didn't want to cut her hair.  I make a joke about your lack of source, then you still don't identify it.  All I'm saying is that it is POSSIBLE that the NY Post Gossip Column could misrepresent what she said.  They are well known for that, and many people think that the NY Post is one small step above the National Enquirer and below People Magazine for journalistic integrity.  With that said, if it is true (I would guess it is) then I feel bad for her, but I still think she looks great with short hair.

Given the history of the show, I'm not completely surprised.  I liked her long hair, and I like this cut.  She kept her hair very short for almost 4 years before growing it out.  I thought at one point it was too short, but this cut is very nice.

But this get's back to my point of "good news" vs. "bad news", doesn't it?  If she was forced or "asked" by the show to cut her hair, then it is not bad news, but unfortunate for her.  She probably gets paid something in the neighborhood of $100,000 per episode, so I'm sure that will take the "sting" out of a cute short haircut that flatters her features! 
love it short View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love it short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2007 at 7:59am
She's a short hair lady, so glad she cut her hair again she looks GREAT!
pockyisgod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pockyisgod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2007 at 1:14pm
Poor woman Cry
When you have long hair and you lose it because of a natural problem it is one thing...but when there is nothing "wrong" with you and you are forced to chop it off, that's altogether another thing and it's terrible.

The cut suits her, but she looked better with long hair, definitely.
*~!wa-ah-ow!~*
Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2007 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Klaatu48 Klaatu48 wrote:

Ugh... It seems almost cruel that they'd make her cut it after she grew it out for so long. Practically teasing her, you know?

Cruel? She makes more money each episode than most people make in a year. Having her bosses tell her how they want her hair is a small price to pay. Would you cut your hair for $6.5 million? Not only is the show not in danger of being cancelled, Mariska is one of the highest paid actors on TV.

So, yeah, Mariska wasn't forced to do anything. For the money she's being paid, deciding her hair is the minimum her producers should ask her to do. Living in SoCal, I've met actors and actresses who would cut their hair for non-paying stage roles. I've met actresses who are very attached to their, but they'd part with it in a second if the role was a big break. Their work is way more important than their hair. If it wasn't, they'd be doing something else.
ssjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2007 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by pockyisgod pockyisgod wrote:

Poor woman Cry
When you have long hair and you lose it because of a natural problem it is one thing...but when there is nothing "wrong" with you and you are forced to chop it off, that's altogether another thing and it's terrible.

The cut suits her, but she looked better with long hair, definitely.

She wasn't forced.  She had a choice.  If the long hair was that important to her, she could have put it in her contract.  For all we know she gets paid more so they CAN tell her what to do with her hair.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2007 at 4:11pm
      I am TOTALLY on your side, Pocky. Even if I liked this cut on her, I would think that forcing a woman to make a relatively permanent change in her appearance IS cruel. The fact that Mariska is unimaginably wealthy does not make her immune to sorrows and insecurities. Some people get their jollies from wielding power over others, but I cannot relate to this. If hair control was part of her contract, at this point you'd think that she has attained the stature that her own feelings would be respected.
     One final thing: About the lopsided vote, my **guess**, Heath, (lol)  is that  90% of voters were women. Since Mariska has a fabulous shape, and is facially attractive, is it possible that many of the "positive" votes were more from women wishing that *they* could still look that good if they cut their hair that dramatically? (Note: Many of you *would* look better than her with the same cut. It's just not HER, IMO.) Or from those who feel that her short coif is a confirmation of their own choices? I'd love to see a breakdown of the sexes, in any case. I can't believe that most men *prefer* this new chop. Big%20smile Best, Bob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pockyisgod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2007 at 4:46pm
exactly, Bob.

ssjockey, yes she makes truckloads of money, but that does not mean she is the one wielding the power. They may have put her under a lot of pressure to cut her hair and eventually she gave in? I don't know. Whatever the reason, the result seems to me that SHE did not want to cut her hair, so she was forced or she was pressured into to do it. Wealth does not make her immune to the sadness this can bring because she loved her long hair; hair which she grew by herself instead of just buying extensions. That's years of time and effort just gone, just like that. To anyone it's heartbreaking. 
*~!wa-ah-ow!~*
Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2007 at 6:18pm
90% of what voters? What vote are you talking about? I can't see a vote on this page.

1) This is not a permanent change to her appearance. She can grow it back out in a year and a half.

2) She is not forced to do anything. If she chooses not to cut her hair, she can pursue other work. If she were really that sad, she would have quit. She's a big name in TV. She could easily get very lucrative work if she quit. She chose not to.

3) It is not cruel to pressure an actress to cut her hair. You people seem to have no concept of how TV and movies work. No one is trying to
weild power over someone else. Directors and producers have their idea of how a character should look. It is a creative choice along with camera angle, lighting, line delivery, editing, wardrobe et al. This is their job. It's really irrelevant whether you feel an actress should cut her hair for a role. The director or producer sees the character in a certain way and feels that his or her vision can be communicated with a haircut. Hairstyle is not in the actor's hands, no matter how much he or she makes. Thus, Tom Hanks' in "Da Vinci Code."

Actors and actresses understand this and are fine with it. Their craft is far more important than their hair. They will all cut it for the right role.

You are lamenting her going short. Are you lamenting Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley being asked to grow their hair out for roles? Both expressed love of short hair. But the parts their playing now call for long hair. So they grow it. It's the business. Nothing more.
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2007 at 6:36pm
Here we go lets see if the rateing start to fall? Call it the Keri Russell effect? I like the show I watched when she went short the first time. But as I said NBC has been hit real bad I guess we will see how this plays out.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
Curlyfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2007 at 9:22pm
Heath, I'm right with you. I've done lots of acting, and part of the fun of inhabiting a character is changing your outward appearance to "become" that person, whether it's clothes, glasses, or hair. If she did cut it at her producer's request, then that's the price that comes with playing this role, the same way some jobs require a long commute or sitting at a desk all day. She's always free to say "no" and walk away anytime. But my guess is, she recognizes (as most would) that it's a small trade-off for the work, and it's not permanent. And once she's over the "trauma" of the moment, she might even like it.

Also, for the record, I'm a heterosexual man and although I liked it long, I think she looks sexier and more distinctive with it short. I even liked that blonde spiky pixie thing!
Your hair is your best accessory; wear it with STYLE!
Ben C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 5:25am
if you look at wireimage it appears that Mariska's hair was cut short in a 2 step process.  In March there are pictures of her on the set of Law & Order with very long hair.  It appears to have been trimmed slightly on Mar 21 before a Gotham cover party. It's hard to say, it could just be stylying making it look shorter, but I actually think that was trim #1. 

Trim #2 came between April 9 and April 23.  Here was a bigger cut.  She went from below shoulder length to above her shoulders.  There's only a couple of photos but it's definitely a lot shorter.  It looks to be just below her chin.  Then of course there are the photos from May 1 that show the chop pixie.  It's quite a makeover for her and probably not in a good way.  I think her best look in these series of photos was the was after trim #1. 

If I read correctly they are already filming for next year on Law & Order so I assume the haircut won't show up in shows until next fall? 

I must say she really looks to have aged a lot with that haircut. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pockyisgod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Heath Heath wrote:

90% of what voters? What vote are you talking about? I can't see a vote on this page.

1) This is not a permanent change to her appearance. She can grow it back out in a year and a half.

2) She is not forced to do anything. If she chooses not to cut her hair, she can pursue other work. If she were really that sad, she would have quit. She's a big name in TV. She could easily get very lucrative work if she quit. She chose not to.

3) It is not cruel to pressure an actress to cut her hair. You people seem to have no concept of how TV and movies work. No one is trying to
weild power over someone else. Directors and producers have their idea of how a character should look. It is a creative choice along with camera angle, lighting, line delivery, editing, wardrobe et al. This is their job. It's really irrelevant whether you feel an actress should cut her hair for a role. The director or producer sees the character in a certain way and feels that his or her vision can be communicated with a haircut. Hairstyle is not in the actor's hands, no matter how much he or she makes. Thus, Tom Hanks' in "Da Vinci Code."

Actors and actresses understand this and are fine with it. Their craft is far more important than their hair. They will all cut it for the right role.

You are lamenting her going short. Are you lamenting Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley being asked to grow their hair out for roles? Both expressed love of short hair. But the parts their playing now call for long hair. So they grow it. It's the business. Nothing more.

I've said what I've said and I will stick to that. And I'm lamenting nothing. I merely said I thought she looked BETTER with long hair, and that it is damn upsetting to lose your hair if you took the trouble to grow it long. WHOEVER you are, it is upsetting. Over and out.
*~!wa-ah-ow!~*
Merlin101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 8:43am
How traumatic can it be when you've done it before?  Maybe she is playing the media for additional attention and ratings.  Personally, I loved MH with the short hair and haven't watched the show lately due to touring, but I doubt this is an attempt by NBC to save the show.  She looks more like a detective, her role, with the short hair.  As for aging, if you like it, you say she looks younger, if you hate, you say she looks older.  Eye - beholder, you get the rest. 

Oh, I just shaved my head for the first time ever.  From pony tail to slick in 10 minutes.  Not traumatic.  I even like it.  I'm told daily that I look younger.

Where do these long hair worshippers get their material?  Maybe they should get jobs in Hollywood or go to work for the Bush family to bring back the "good ol' days", pre-1920's.

Oh yeah, I am a very heterosexual male, loving MH's short hair to the max.
I can barely conjure myself out of bed, let alone conjure up the devil.
Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Mike46019 Mike46019 wrote:

Here we go lets see if the rateing start to fall? Call it the Keri Russell effect? I like the show I watched when she went short the first time. But as I said NBC has been hit real bad I guess we will see how this plays out.

There is no such thing as the "Keri Russell" effect. It's a myth because her haircut was so unpopular. The show's ratings dropped slightly because it was moved to a new more competitive night and there was a sharp creative drop.

Characters cut their hair short on many many shows. Sara Michelle Gellar, Charisma Carpenter, Alyssa Milano, Ashley Scott, Katherine Heigl, Jenny Garth, Cynthia Watros, Lauren Holly, Jennifer Anniston, and Josie Bissett all come to mind off the top of my head. None of their shows had a ratings drop as a result.

In fact, a haircut is more likely to make the show more popular. Whenever Jennifer Anniston cut her hair women ran out to the salon. When Alyssa Milano chopped hers off, she brought the pixie back to popularity.

Most people don't watch TV based on an actress's hair. Especially men. If men watch a show because of a woman's appearance, it's usually not hair. But few men base what they watch based on attractive an actress is. Shows like "Charmed" and "Gilmore Girls" with very attractive women get low percentages of male viewers.

"SVU" is one of NBC's most popular shows. Dick Wolf has had many many shows on the air that have been very successful. That happens because he knows the creative decisions to make that will attract viewers. Mariska had short hair when the show started. Ratings were good. They were good when she had long hair. They will likely continue to be good. Eventually there will be decline, since all shows run out of steam.

You know what would be upsetting for her? To not play the character.

Edited by Heath - May 04 2007 at 11:46am
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2007 at 3:23pm
     Heath, the "vote" is on people.com, as linked in the first posting. I emhasized that my opinion was a "**guess**". And I said the cut was a "*relatively* permanent" change. You know, more lasting than make-up and less so than plastic surgery.
     Obviously she made a choice, but IMO, if she made it clear to her bosses that she was not keen about doing this, they *should* have respected that, contract or no contract. And what is this about Keira and Natalie being forced to grow their short hair for roles? Wigs did the trick nicely in LOTR!
     One more thing: Not every hetero guy cares even a whit about chest size or shape, or any other one thing about a woman. If you ever were to attend a Crystal Gayle concert, you'd *know* that there are countless guys who go crazy over a gal's long hair! (lol) Wink Bob
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2007 at 6:32pm
Hey I didn't pick on Dick Wolf. I like his shows. Also She did start off with hair just a bit below shoulder lenght. See the first Season. If you can't USA has the show so you can watch the older shows there. I'm just going by what the rating are going. NBC is number 4. Just have to see what is going to happen.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 4:49am
I love the color and highlights. The haircut...doesnt look bad,but looked better long IN MY OPINION. Actress or not I think it's mean to make someone cut their hair if they dont want to.And,a good question would be WHY on earth would they let her grow it out only to make her cut it?
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 10:52am
They are very good points and questions Jules.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic