Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mariska Hargitay Pixied?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 5:46pm
Mike, a little knowledge is dangerous. You've heard NBC is number four without any idea of how to apply it. First, the numbers you cite are household viewership. No advertiser uses those to buy advertising. The newspapers use those numbers because 1) it's what was used before Nielsen started measuring demos 2) they don't have access to and can't print demo numbers. Regardless of NBC's numbers, it's "SVU" numbers that are important. "SVU" posts strong A18-49 numbers and usually wins it's time slot. The show posts the highest or second highest (after "Deal or No Deal") ratings on NBC. Despite being a mature show, "SVU" is doing very well in the ratings.

No, Jules, those are not good points or questions. To be mean, you have to do something with the intent to inflict emotional harm. That isn't the case here. This is a creative decision. It's one that actors and actresses have had to make for decades. Do you think it's mean that all the actors in "Black Hawk Down" had to get military short haircuts?

This is a creative process. Haircuts are creative decisions. She probably grew out her hair because the show producers wanted the character to have long hair. Whether she wanted long hair or not. Now they feel the character should have short hair. There is no animosity involved. It's about creativity.

Wigs can look good. Nicole Kidman has looked great in wigs. They can look fake. Mekhi Phifer looked silly in "8 Mile."
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 7:35pm
"No, Jules, those are not good points or questions. To be mean, you have to do something with the intent to inflict emotional harm. That isn't the case here."

They are good questions to me.I'm not here to debate it,merely stating my opinion,and that is how I feel.
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 8:05pm
New photos.

http://www.celebrity-babies.com/2007/05/hargitayhermann.html
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2007 at 9:05pm
Cool so the show is doing well. Hey I just wanted to say what has been pointed out. That's all when things start going downhill please let me know. Thank you. Heath. WWII history is more bag of tea then TV rating.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 5:40am
I like the tapering on the back.  I'm trying to get my wife to do that.
Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Mike46019 Mike46019 wrote:

Cool so the show is doing well. Hey I just wanted to say what has been pointed out. That's all when things start going downhill please let me know. Thank you. Heath. WWII history is more bag of tea then TV rating.

Don't you think it's a bit arrogant to assume that since you don't like the cut, that most people won't like the cut and that the ratings will go down as a result?

I have no idea whether people will like the cut. As Bob points out, viewers of People.com do like it better. Bob concludes that the viewers aren't men and aren't thinking clearly. So he also has decided his personal beliefs are the same as most of America.

You believe that because you don't like the cut and America won't like the cut, the ratings will go down. Haircuts don't influence ratings. I'd guess that a tiny percentage of the viewers will be bothered by Mariska's haircut. It's possible that more will like the cut and viewership will increase. Whenever Jennifer Anniston cut her hair, "Friends" fans loved it. As I pointed out earlier, actors and actresses change their hair on shows all the time. It never (including Keri Russell) influences ratings.

I think there are few people who watch shows based on hair. Unless you're on this board, you judge a show based on the characters and the writing. Mariska has had short and long hair on the show. All the "ER" actresses have done the same. It hasn't changed the ratings.

Like the haircut or don't like the haircut. Your choice. But assuming most of America agrees with you is arrogant.
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 2:17pm
In my opinion the style ages her--though I agree that hairstyles don't generally influence ratings.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 7:07pm

Apparently it took this thread to wake me out of my deep slumber.  I'm sure that won't please some.

I went to look for the pic at the link shared by arch94, but all I saw after scrolling through some of the choices were pictures of celebrity women sporting long hair, including Vanessa Minnillo, Eva Longoria, a now-wigged Britney, and this of Jessica Simpson (long pause):

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/startracks/070521/jessica_simpson2.jpg

Anyway, where was I?  Oh, right, the discussion on Mariska Hargitay's recent haircut.  I agree with what ssjockey said in his self-described "off-topic" second post on page 1 (14th post overall in the thread).  And I'll elaborate: I encourage self-moderation in response to those whose posts with which we might disagree.  Argue the position, but don't attack the person.

I won't pretend to know what drove the show's executive producer to make the decision regarding her hair.  Was it to fit a desired image of the role?  Or was it just because he's a sick bastrd who wanted to see her suffer (knowing how traumatic a cut would be to her)?  Certainly it is much more palatable to assume the former.  Not meaning to suggest the latter has any validity, but it is within the realm of the possible.  If I'm not mistaken, other women playing these roles in the series have had long hair.  Has he, or anyone, ever analyzed the ratings based on the hair length of the female lead in this series?

Most people have, at least once within their lifetimes, decided to cut their hair in a way that they either thought would help them appeal to an employer, or as a requirement of a new job.  I would hazard to guess that in the absence of the job factor, most of these folks would not have had their hair cut at that time in that way.  Is it right?  People determine their priorities, and the ability to pay bills seems to annoyingly (lol) take precedence over preferred hairstyle.  To assume that all or even most women presently have the hairstyle they truly want is fallacy.

Curlyfan, I will hazard a guess that in all of your acting roles, you never once had to cut off long hair that you wanted to keep?  All of the other physical trappings of roleplaying (primarily clothes and makeup) are easily put on, removed, and put on again at will.  Annoyingly again, hair just doesn't work the same way.  And what might be fun for you was not for Mariska.

Merlin, I was not aware that short hair makes a woman look more believable as a detective.  Do you have scientifically-designed hair length & style descriptions "best" befitting a large set of occupations?  In the entirety of my extensive professional career, I've never found a correlation between effectiveness and hair length among my many colleagues.  One request: please refrain from bringing real politics into this arena.  And FWIW, your assumption of correlation between LH and bush is laughable.

Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 11:04am
L & O doesn't make every woman playing a cop or a lawyer cut her hair, but they have a history of women with short cuts. Alana de la Garza chopped hers off for her role. Julianne Nicholson cut hers for her role. Jill Hennessey said she had to get her hair every two weeks to keep it the length they wanted. Carey Lowell had short hair. Angie Harmon's hair was long. Milena Govich also has long hair. So does Kathryn Erbe.

I don't think they expect the ratings to change based on the hair. They are just looking at how they want to express the characters.

Female police officers with long hair will always put it up in a bun. Suspects used to grab female police officers' hair during a scuffle. They no longer give them that advantage.
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 2:51pm
Heath you posted this,"Like the haircut or don't like the haircut. Your choice. But assuming most of America agrees with you is arrogant." about me I don't feel arrogant. If it came across that way well I guess I have to really watch what I type. I was just putting things out there that has been cover by this board a few times. That was all. Thank you for calling me "arrogant" Makes me feel that I can be like my favorite general Patton. Now I will play Axis and Alles with my big head.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 10:49am
It's worth noting that Mariska Hargitay was consistently a long haired gal before L&O:SVU. Think of ER. Think of Falcon Crest. Though some seem to think of Mariska as a short haired icon, it seems that she only keeps it that way for the program. Expect a grow out as soon as she finishes.
Curlyfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 12:50pm
Just a quick response to DaveDecker's fair question - I've never cut long hair short for an acting role, but I'm currently involved in a corporate gig for which I'm keeping my hair at short and neat instead of having it grown out a bit and messy, as I'd like to have it. I made this decision of my own free will because the money I make in this gig is worth the small price of keeping my hair a certain way.

I can't speak to Mariska's feelings on her choice. But I'd still guess that, if the request indeed came from the producer, that Mariska made a similar decision of her own free will to comply because it wasn't worth losing her job and salary to keep her long hair, and it's not any more complicated than that. And I'd suspect we have now given it more attention than the producers, the average viewer, or even Mariska herself ever has.... :-)
Your hair is your best accessory; wear it with STYLE!
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 2:20pm
NBC may soon be saying buh-bye to the bum-bum.

With just a week until the Peac*ck network reveals its fall schedule, there's word that the Law & Order "mothership" may be jumping ship to TNT.

NBC Universal and Wolf Films, the producers of the long-running, franchise-spawning prime-time stalwart, are in talks with the basic cable network to pick up either, or possibly both, Law & Order and Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

"Negotiations are ongoing regarding Law & Order and Law & Order: Criminal Intent and, as always, we do not comment on negotiation," Dick Wolf said in a statement.

A rep for TNT, meanwhile, says, "We don't comment on speculation."

The move appears to be a last-ditch effort to keep Law & Order from being canceled. Now in its 17th season, the formerly dominant procedural has struggled ratings-wise in recent years. But Wolf is apparently willing to make concessions to enable his brainchild to surpass Gunsmoke's 20-year run to become the longest running show in prime-time history, one of his oft-repeated desires.

The pickup, should it occur, would come with a price—a much, much lower one.

TNT is apparently targeting a truncated 18th season—13 versus the standard 22—to cut production costs. The basic cable network would also require Wolf & Co. to dramatically reduce other per episode expenses to make the pick up a more economically viable option. In exchange, TNT would offer producers more creative freedom.

Even if Wolf balks at the TNT parameters, he's facing some serious budget trimming if he wants to keep the original series going.

According to Broadcasting & Cable, if NBC opts to keep Law & Order in its Friday night graveyard slot, the network is demanding the show's annual costs be pared down by $11 million. Over the years, the show's price tag has ballooned to about $4 million per episode and it would require a $500,000 per episode drop to keep it on NBC.

The trade publication reports that TNT, which currently runs an average of 28 hours of Law & Order, Criminal Intent and Special Victims Unit reruns a week, approached NBC about the pickup several months ago. But the offer has reportedly gained traction in recent weeks as NBC has considered dropping the flailing series in lieu of fresh drama programming.

According to Variety, NBC was initially planning to shelve Law & Order: Criminal Intent but keep Law & Order on the prime-time roster, though in recent weeks the network has reportedly flip-flopped its mindset. Variety reports that now it appears NBC will reup for CI and SVU, the sole franchise player to already be granted a renewal for next fall, come next Tuesday's upfronts, leaving the original Law & Order out in the cable cold.

NBC execs apparently don't want to completely kill off a show that has been a cornerstone of the network's lineup for nearly two decades and remains lucrative in syndication and video. The Law & Order franchise's estimated value is a staggering $3 billion.

As it is, the Jack McCoy-led cops-and-lawyers brigade has been averaging just 9.0 million viewers this year, losing nearly a fifth of its audience after getting shuffled from Wednesday night to its current spot in Friday's no-man's land. Law & Order: CI, meanwhile, has fared even worse, averaging a franchise low 8.8 million.

Well not sure if this is good or not.
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 2:26pm
I got that from E news.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 3:17pm
     Hey, Dave! Big%20smile Thanks for saying some of what I'd been thinking. The thought of some sicko waving a contract and taking pleasure in demanding that Mariska chop her stunning locks DID cross my mind. I *believe* that it was just an ill-advised attempt at creating buzz about the show, but you never know. It surely doesn't make sense to me. Well, I couldn't watch that show anyway, even with a *hot* Mariska. The world's injustices are harsh enough. I don't need to see more of the same on fictional TV shows! (lol) Blessings, Bob

Edited by Bob S - May 10 2007 at 3:18pm
arch94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arch94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 10:42pm
Note to self: in next life, goto college to become a contract waving sicko. Wink
We all know what opinions are like...and I've got both!
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2007 at 8:00am
Nice photo a month or so before the chop.

Klaatu48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klaatu48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2007 at 10:03am
She was looking pretty good (to make an understatement about it...)
It's a shame they made her cut it.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2007 at 11:40am
     Shocked WOW Fat!!! It was awesome! I hadn't seen her in a while.
     HEY ARCH!!!  LOLLOLLOL I hear it's good work if you can get it. Confused
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2007 at 11:27pm
Thanks Fat one of the best pics I have seen for her. Thank you again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic