Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

my parents hate my long hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
prettyboi View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prettyboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my parents hate my long hair
    Posted: April 14 2003 at 5:16pm
Hey everyone, I am a 15-year old male and I need some serious help with keeping long hair, but it's not about the speed of growth or what people think of it; I'm not really worried about it at all... Well here's the story

I've had long hair almost down to my shoulders since 7th grade, but I cut it WAY shorter a few months ago (although it is almost eye-length now) and my parents don't want me to have long hair, EVER again. Me and my dad have been arguing about it for a long time. He wants it short, clean, and nothing below my eyebrows, which I can't agree on. I tried all sorts of deals, like I promised to keep my grades up, or never to get into trouble. I even threatend to intentionally fail school if he didn't let me grow it long, but he said he would make me shave it all off, and I would probably just cold feet before even doing it. His reasons for not letting me have long hair is because he says it is feminine (I strongly disagree), non - hygenic (although I wash my hair everyday and I am clean 99% of the time) and he says I would look like a gay person, which I think is totally ridiculous. He says only gay men have long hair but he knows it isn't true. = / My parents are usually understanding of me but they cant agree with me on long hair. Not a single day passes without my mom or dad saying, "You need a haircut". Its driving me crazy. It is making me become more distant from my parents, and I hate having short hair. How can I convince them??? Please help me, this is urgent.

Thanx,
prettyboi (im not gay lol )

PS sorry the post so long! =D
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 5:55pm
Hi,

Oh what a dilemna. I totally relate since I have endured parents, lovers, friends & bosses lean on me at various times in my life about my hair being too long or too blonde or too whatever. This is a very hard one to resolve because of your age and the fact that you live with your parents in their home.

One thing I would suggest is to get an adult that your parents respect and listen to as a mediator. Are you close to any of your teachers or a school guidance counselor? What about a priest or preacher or someone from your church? Or someone from a youth group.

I think if you can talk to another adult and let them know the problem and ask them to help you negotiate with your parents you might be able to find a win/win solution for everyone. It really sounds like you have hit a roadblock where your parents believe one thing and you another. So if you can break the block w/ an advocate that can show your parents that letting you compromise and have your hair a way that you can both live with, you will all be happier.

I know that when I get stuck like this I always look for a third person that is objective to both sides that can help me negoiate the situation.

Is this a possibility for you?

Hang in there. I am sure you will find a way to work this out.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 1:14pm
Hey PB - As a mom of 3 boys who I will NEVER tell them how to wear their hair I have to tell you that your parents are doing this becasue they are trying to protect you. They don't know how not to be this way and will not stop because they feel like if they do, then they are failing as parents. I can tell you this becasue I have felt this way about other things before with my sons and have had to stop myself. Your parents can't let go of the stigma of long hair and they feel that you, their son will be judged badly by other people who have their same stigma. You feel me?

So Anyway, my 2. You need to tell them what you told us...with another person in the room as Karen suggested, would be great becasue they would be forced to see the other person'r side.

Good luck.

jacqui
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 1:37pm
You are at a cross-road.
Parents are there to nurture their children into healthy adults, to guide them and above all to love them.
Your having long hair is not going to compromise your health, moral values or anything else critical to your proper development.
It is, therefore, not their business.
Whatever their personal prejudice about this matter, I would advise you to do one thing - and it will take every fibre of patience you have: IGNORE THEM AND DO NOT RESPOND TO THEIR COMMENTS OR THREATS.
You hair is part of your body and it is totally your choice what you do with it.
If they persist and you really cannot bear it, do not give in to their demands to cut it off. Tell them to post their point of views on this board and see the responses they get.
If that's no-go, and things get really serious, go see your high-school counciller, doctor, priest (sorry, I don't know your lifestyle, but basically I mean anyone who is an adult in a position of authority) - see them all and explain how this is affecting you. Ask those who are sympathetic and approving of your choice if they could speak to your parents and tell them to cool it.
Hell, if you were local to me, I'd do it myself.

This really makes my blood boil because it is an infringement of your basic, God-given right to be yourself in your physical person. Of course, this is also spilling over into your psychological and emotion relationships with your family, but remember to remind them that it is THEY who choose to cause the distancing you spoke off.

Be careful, be brave, be determined and maintain your dignity. You will soon be an independent adult and can walk away. And please, let it be just their words and control you walk away from - not their love.

For what it's worth, you have the support of myself and the other posters to your message.

Best wishes

Uzma
Uzi

Lorilee View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2003 at 11:31pm
I say, cut it. First, it will probably look cute. Second, get a cute girl at school to go wioth you. Tell her your story, and ask her to go with you, or cut some of it. Girls like that stuff.
Also, if you tell your parents you don''t think long hair is gay, or dirty, but if this make them happy, fine. Now you have all the power. And like I said, it will probabaly be really cute.
Constance View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Constance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 12:43am
I say follow your heart and talk to your parents. Don't cut your hair because it will make you unhappy and if you work at this thing you can find a win/win. I think asking another person to help mediate is very wise.

C
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Lorilee Lorilee wrote:

I say, cut it. First, it will probably look cute.

Your opinion, fair enough.

Quote econd, get a cute girl at school to go wioth you. Tell her your story, and ask her to go with you, or cut some of it. Girls like that stuff.

How do you know he doesn't already have a cute girlfriend? How do you know the girls he has his eye on don't already have their eyes on him and his long hair?

Girls like what kind of stuff? That guys cut their hair? Or that they are communicative and expressive? I'm not sure what you're saying.

Quote lso, if you tell your parents you don''t think long hair is gay, or dirty, but if this make them happy, fine. Now you have all the power.

Now you've got me really confused. That makes no sense. Care to elaborate how he gains all the power just because he expressed his opinion?

Quote nd like I said, it will probabaly be really cute.

Yes, you like short hair on guys. We hear you.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 7:53pm
Hi Dave,

I have to agree with you that cutting the hair will only make PrettyBoi feel bad since he has been very clear with all of us that he doesn't want to cut his hair. I still vote for keeping his hair and getting a mediator. Just my 2 cents worth.

Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Lorilee View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 7:59pm
Yikes! Under attack! This guy has had long hair for a long time. His parents are using it as leverage.
I say take away the leverage. I cut my mid-back hair to my shoulders to get the flip thing going, and I didn't like it, but everyone else did. Its become my style. I asked a guy at school if I should cut it, I asked a bunch of girls... it made it fun, kind of an event. I meant for him to enjoy the moment. And, yeah, I like short hair on guys, but not every guy.
I don't like the " its just long enough to comb so I slick it down with gel " look at all. Better longer and dry, or buzzed.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2003 at 1:21am
It really doesn't matter what anybody likes or wants, other than the young man in question.

Personally, every time my hair was forcibly cut I felt an intense sense of loss that was disproportional to the actual act of cutting hair. That's because hair had become a battleground. Because it represented the possession and control of my identity by others and the act of hacking it off was their asserting control of it.

Prettyboi's hair is as much part of him as his arms and legs. Just because it grows if cut does not make it less so. Other people owning and modifying one's body parts carries strong hints of slavery.
These "parents" need to engage brain and see that their behaviour and attitude - not their son's hair length - is the problem.

Yeah, I know I'm getting really heavy on this one (sorry).

Uzma
Uzi

Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2003 at 9:48am
The problem is, his parents are paying his room and board, and he is still a minor.
They do have some say in his life, whether anyone thinks that is good parenting or not.
Not to worry. In 3 years he will be 18 and will either have to go to college, to the military or out into the workforce. Then he will have adult responsibilities AND will get to make his own decisions about hair and other things.
Lady Maria
Isla Q. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isla Q. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2003 at 3:48pm
Yes, so maybe his parent support him financially, but that doesn't mean they can make all of his decisions for him. I mean, that's part of growing up, right, you're starting to make your own decisions and learning from them? And hopefully your parents support you (and not just financially).
And the fact that he's a minor shouldn't make any difference here, it's not like getting a tattoo!

The way you look, and the way your hair looks, is such a personal thing, I don't think other people should make decisions for you in that area. Giving advice, or expressing concerns, that's fine, but that should be it. It doesn't really matter how old you are.
I would have thought that the people who post on this board would all feel this way, considering we all have an above average interest in hair and therefore realize how important hair can be to people. And by this I don't mean important to other people, but how important your own hair can be to yourself.
Brent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2003 at 5:10pm
Isla:
If I understand Maria correctly she agreed with the 15 year old boy but simply pointed out that he isn't paying the bills, he is living off of others, and yes he still is a kid, 15 isn't an adult . I don't know if you got kids Isla, I've got 3 kids and I can tell you every responsible parent has rules the kids have to follow.
One of the reasons we are creating such a disfunctional society today is that us adults have pandered too much to our children's every whim. Children, and this includes teenagers, have to learn they don't always get their way in life. That is part of being a grownup and they especially have to learn that they cannot wear any clothes they like or hairstyle they like until they are grown up enough to pay the bills. Honestly, my oldest son is 14, there are certain styles of clothing and hair I wouldn't allow him to wear. Kids have to hear NO once in a while,otherwise they will grow up to be spoiled,self- indulgent little brats, and they will learn the hard way, once they deal with real adults in real circumstances, that you sometimes need to compromise in real life and work with others, you don't allways get your way.
Nothing worse than a spoiled prima donna(male or female) who feels they should allways get their way.

How the real world works:-
You get your way when you are grown up enough to pay your way. Even then you don't always get your own way. That's life. That's reality.
Sorry.
Princessa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princessa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2003 at 6:01pm
I think if you don’t want to cut it, don’t your 15 your parents can’t throw you out they WILL deal with it. When I got purple streaks in my hair, my parents were mad and demanded I get my hair dyed to its original color, my parents said I was going to be mistaken for a lesbian because only lesbians dyed their hair purple. I was 14 so they could not force me to do anything. They told me I was punished till I dyed it back to its original color I told them I would purposely fail my classes if they punished me. I was punished and after a week I go tone of my teachers that understood my situation to call my parents and say I wasn’t doing my work, if I continued not doing my work I was going to be taken out of honors classes and I would start high school in regular instead of honors (she lied). After that phone call I was unpunished and was allowed to dye my hair whichever color I chose. Seeing that they were okay with it I eventually decided to give my original hair color another try and currently I am a happy with my hair being a golden dark-brown

*Princessa*
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2003 at 6:44pm
Decisions that 15-year olds can make which should be judged by their parents (no particular order):

* School grades & effort
* Being helpful around the home, keeping bedroom clean
* And in general, being respectful and thoughtful for themselves and others, in word and deed

Decisions that 15-year olds can make which should not be judged by their parents (no particular order):

* hairstyle
* clothing style
* musical & other artistic tastes

It is not wise for parents to quash children's harmless wishes and dreams. Period.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2003 at 7:45pm
I agree with you Dave to a point. It depends how outlandish the hair style is. Also as far as clothes go, would you let your daughter wear something so skimpy that she looked like a stripper or a streetwalker? And if you would let her wear something like that, in a way you are telling her that you don't care much about her, that maybe she isn't really worth much.

I believe that some children act out and wear outrageous clothes or dress like a tramp because they are looking for some discipline. They are hoping their parents will care enough about them to give them some rules. As much as I hated being told what to do when I was a teenager, I knew my parents loved me and wanted the best for me. That meant much more to me than being able to do, or wear, anything I wanted whenever I wanted.

My parents were fair with me but they did have some rules, including not looking like a punk girl or a tramp, and I'm glad they did. I still to this day allways try to look neat, clean and presentable. I learned that from them. And it has helped me with my self respect and my ability to get along with others.

I have to go with Brent on this one.

Also Princessa, I think when Brent was refering to self indulgent and bratty children he may have had someone like you in mind. I was hardly a perfect kid but you sound not only stubborn but a little spoiled, manipulative, and bratty. Some parents would have thrown you out on the street. Your lucky your parents indulged you, although that may not be good in the long run being that manipulative. You pull a stunt like that in the workplace and try to manipulate your boss like you did your parents you may find yourself out of work and into the poorhouse. Many people don't go for that sort of manipulation.

Sincerely,
Maria
Lady Maria
Josie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 12:42am
I think long hair on men can be really sexy...just as long as when you get older and (possibly) start going bald, DO NOT try to comb the remaining 20 strands into a pony tail. It just looks bad. I support you wanting your hair long, your parents should understand that they are being prejudice against people by saying men with long hair is only for the gay. I know plenty of gay guys I go to college with, and let me tell you something...not all of them have long hair, some have really short hair, and some none at all. High school is hard enought, your parents shouldn't make it harder on you by fussing about your hair. I agree with the other postings, that suggest a mediator. Life is not about worrying what other people think of you because of your looks. Life IS what you make of it, and what makes YOU happy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 1:01am
I agree Josie that people who believe long haired men are gay are living in the stone age. Where have they been the past 30 years?

The point that myself and others were making though is that parents do have some control over their children until they are eighteen and earning a living. If I had a teenage son I would let him have long hair,(my fiancee has long hair and I assure you he isn't gay!). But there are some forms of clothing or hair I might not allow for my son or daughter.

A meditator isn't a bad idea, that could work for everyone involved.

. But I still content that teenagers have to learn they can't allways get their way. I had to learn it.(Example- My parents let me pierce my ears but wouldn't allow me to have a pierced nostril. I didn't get my nostril pierced until I was an adult).
Lady Maria
Isla Q. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isla Q. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 2:33am
I agree with you here, Maria. When your daughter's walking around wearing next to nothing, a parent should speak up, absolutely. But -and from your posts I understand you feel that way too - a fifteen-year-old boy growing his hair long does not fall into that same category. He's not hurting anyone by doing this.

I don't think it's right to call Princessa bratty and spoiled, though. She shared her own story with us, and gave a view from a teenage perspective, which I personally appreciate. You can't have a discussion without all sides taking part.

Brent:
I think you misunderstood my post.
Indeed, a 15-year-old is not an adult, but he should be able to make *some* decisions for himself and learn from them.

Like Dave said, when it comes to education, housework and being kind and respectful to others the parents should be scricter. And no, kids shouldn't always get their way.
But when it comes to one's appearance they should try to hold back (except when their looks can put them in danger - like a Christina Aguilera outfit -, or if they can be offending to other people - like growing a Hitler-like moustache for example).

Your looks are such a definition of your individuality, maybe especially at that age. And, like I said before, who's is someone hurting when he grows his hair long?

Princessa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princessa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 4:34pm
(This is really long)

Lady Maria,
I have a couple of things to address to you:
1) learn to spell “Brent was refering to self indulgent”. REFERRING is not spelled correctly the way you wrote it.
2)You refereed to yourself as “I WAS hardly perfect”, obviously you still are not perfect since you can’t spell.
3) I am not bratty, a little spoiled and stubborn maybe but what you considered bratty and manipulative was just a form of trying to get some freedom, you are not me and unless you were you wouldn’t understand what my life is like. If you knew what my life was like you would see that what I did was not bratty and what my parents gave me was a form of psychology. Indeed my aunt is a psychologist and told my parents that what I did was forming my individual identity.
4) If I am manipulative and I do that in the work place I might be out of work but not in the poorhouse. I think the only reason parents would want to throw someone out would be if they were thought they knew everything, like YOU.
5)Although “people don't go for that sort of manipulation” I found it to work when parents don’t understand. My story is my parents are way too strict and don’t give me much freedom I finally got some freedom through “that sort of manipulation.” I just thought that Prettyboi is in the same type of situation. Just because you don’t agree with my ways, doesn’t mean I will change (<- my stubbornness) for you. Or anyone.
Last but not least, the message I wrote was not for you, it was for Prettyboi.
THIS MESSAGE REFLECTS MY PERSONAL VIEW, I HOPE NONE OF THIS OFFENDS YOU and THANK YOU! I was really refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view. I can see your point but I still think your full of it.
Thank you Isla Q. for seeing my point.
*Princessa*
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic