Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any successful perms on color treated hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any successful perms on color treated hair?
    Posted: May 14 2007 at 1:22pm
Hi, y'all! Haven't been in here in ages!

OK, a year and a half ago I stopped bleaching my hair. It was bra strap length last summer and I got 6 in. cut-off and some layers put in. Basically, there is still about 3 or 4 inches of previously bleached hair. My hair is naturally pretty light....about a 9. I still put a demi-perm in it about every 5 weeks to darken the ends...which lighten with sun and fading to almost platinum/very light golden.

Anyway, with no bleach....there is no body. My hair is thin and fine and the bleach used to make it thicker and bareable. With summer here (I'm in SE Texas) I can't handle the flat, no-curl-holdin' stuff!

I used to do my own perms YEARS ago. Can anyone recommend a high quality DIY perm product for color treated hair? One that can be purchased at Sally's or another beauty supply?

Thanks!
Kel

(btw....PHASE 6 below is after my cut and reflects my natural color)

Edited by KellyH - May 14 2007 at 1:28pm
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 8:47am
Hi KellyH!  Sorry I can't help with the perm question, I gave up on perms when I was in my teens because they damaged mine way too much. 

I just wanted to say "That's your natural color in phase 6?!?!"  You're lucky - I'd never dye mine if I had such a nice color!  I've heard curls are popular in Texas, but with such a nice haircolor, I bet it looks just lovely even if it does lay flatter than you are used to.  Just me yakking....! LOL

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
nursie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nursie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2007 at 11:54pm
oh please dont do a perm on your pretty hair!!
what products are you using to hold a curl? are you using a volumizing spray ? there are so many products out there now that really do help you set in a style

sorry, i am anti perm (especially for colored hair!)
lotta talkin 'bout hair n other stuff: http://www.diyextensions.net/
KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 2:13pm
Thanks y'all! I haven't been on in a while. I used a very gentle perm with purple rods and got just what I wanted.....body! But it only lasted about a month. heheh....

Yes, Susan...that's my natural color. I know, I know....why did I ever bleach it to platinum? <sigh> Anyway, I still have to darken about 4 inches of it once a month. Still using demi on it. I can't quite make myself use a perm color anymore! I like being natural. Big%20smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic