Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What makes a good stylist?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SilkStrands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SilkStrands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What makes a good stylist?
    Posted: May 23 2007 at 12:06pm
I was wondering this the other day. A friend of mine does hair, she is currently taking a break from cosm. school but is going to finish eventually. She does hair for family, friends, etc. and it seriously comes out better than I've ever gotten in a salon. She is amazing.

So what makes someone good at what they do? Is it a gift that you are given like singing well, or being a good artist? Because doing hair really is an art, you have to be able to envision what your client wants and follow through and make it happen...

Basically my question is for those who have been in the industry, is doing hair styling/coloring something that can be learned by someone who is very eager to do well, and is very passionate about it just as well as someone who is naturally good at it?

I ask this because all my life I have wanted to do hair and makeup, since I can remember, and I wonder if I would be good at it. I am a quick and eager learner and especially if it is something I love I think I would make a great stylist. If I go for it, I don't want to work in some mediocre chain/family salon, I want to go for it all the way and work in an upscale salon (eventually, obviously you have to work your way up) but is this an attainable goal for anyone? Or do you have to have "natural" talent, per se?

Any info/insight is greatly appreciated!!  SmileStar
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2007 at 6:08pm
Hi,

I would say go for it. I was 38 when I done my training, like yourself I always wanted to be a hairdresser. I would say you do have to have a passion for it and creativity.

I am a fully qualified stylist in cutting and colouring and I love it, I have just finished and passed an HNC in hairdressing and salon managment and I work for myself.

I dont know what its like in the US, but i feel here in the UK ( not all salons) but some its like a convare belt in and out a quick as possible, and I  hate that, I like to take my time with my clients and give them what they want. I take the time to do a consultation with them give them some idea's maybe show them a few styles in magazines, etc, if they are unsure. Basically listening to what they want taking a little time with them.

I hope this has answered a little of your question. My advise to you is you go girl!

KarenThumbs%20Up
karen sanderson
TanglesRC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TanglesRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by SilkStrands SilkStrands wrote:

I ask this because all my life I have wanted to do hair and makeup, since I can remember, and I wonder if I would be good at it. I am a quick and eager learner and especially if it is something I love I think I would make a great stylist.  

Any info/insight is greatly appreciated!!  SmileStar

hi,
if u have the passion like you say, then you will go very far. i was like u, i knew ever since i was a little girl i was to do hair. and after 15 years behind the chair, i still love love love it.
 i say go for it- you will be great.
besides the passion, dedication and drive makes a good stylist. Also being willing to learn even after school. Take lots of classes, can never get enough education.i still take cutting, coloring and other classes.
you will go far,
s
Bringing beauty, one head at a time...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic