Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Type 3 Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
carrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Type 3 Hair
    Posted: May 27 2007 at 10:46am

According To Andre Walker naturally curly hair has a definite S pattern. 

Type 3 hair, when well cared for, can be soft with lots of shine, good body, elasticity and well-defined curls.  When damaged, Type 3 hair can be frizzy with no shine and no elasticity.  It can also be very dry and not hold its natural curl pattern well.  Some people find that damaged Type 3 hair is rough to the touch.

Type 3 hair may not do well in humid climates since it easily absorbs water and eventually springs into its most natural shape.  Lots of humidity may mean curlier or frizzer hair.  As curly hair dries, it absorbs water.

Type 3 curly hair is usually fine and soft and there is lots of hair.  The shape of curly hair cuticles is such that the hair does not easily lay flat and does not have a smooth surface area and thus it does not easily reflect light.  Therefore Type 3 naturally curly hair has a harder time looking shiny than other types of hair.

Andre Walker defined two subdivisions for Type 3 hair.

Type 3A
Type 3A, hair that is very loosely curled with big curls. The shorter the hair, the straighter it gets. The longer the hair the more defined the curl.

Type 3B
Type 3B hair has a medium amount of curl, ranging from soft ringlets to tight corkscrews.

It's not unusual to find both subtypes coexisting on the same head. In fact, curly hair usually consists of a combination of textures, with the crown being the curliest part.

Type 3C
Although not defined by Andre Walker some naturally curly people have created additional typings.  One of them is what is known as 3C which is Type 3 hair but very tightly curled.  This type of tight curl is different than the tight curls of Type 4 hair.  Type 3C hair has the circumference of a ball point pen and Type 4A hair has the circumference more of a wide toothpick.

Other Type 3 curl patterns have been defined on the Web.  In addition, many peope with Type 3 curl patterns may have more than one at the same time.

Curly Carrie
Check Out CurlTalk at HairBoutique.com
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 8:03pm
That would be me..........

It's cool that there's actually a separate section set apart for curly hair now! Smile
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
carrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2007 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by hairbraider hairbraider wrote:

That would be me..........

It's cool that there's actually a separate section set apart for curly hair now! Smile

Hi Hairbraider,

Thank you for your feedback.  Karen & the rest of the HB.com team are working hard to improve the forums and make sure that all topics are well organized and any separate sections are available for special interests.

I am also a Type 3. :-)
Curly Carrie
Check Out CurlTalk at HairBoutique.com
Bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2007 at 7:32pm
type 3B here and very proud of it. thanks to karen and all moderators, especially carrie, for the inclusion of a curly hair forum dedicated to the different types of curly hair!
learn to love what you were born with
you can do anything if you set your mindto it (just dont try this with hair,that could turn out bad)
JB521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 7:59am
Wow....this is interesting to say the least. I'm 3A.....but never realized it till now. My hair is in the midst of growing out.....I have had short hair for-ev-er and I cannot beleive how my hair is beginning to look! It's quite exciting to see this.....it was so straight when short......but now that it has gained some legth, it has a loopey curl and I definitely like it. Just will be about 3-4 years before I even get CLOSE to yours Hairbraider (which by the way, I love ur hair...)    Smile
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 10:42pm

Thanks JB! Embarrassed  The longer it gets, the harder it is to keep it looking good.  Care to share a pic?  This should be a fun experimenting time for you..... new lengths and new texture!

sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Msl8y View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Msl8y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 12:38pm
I;m wondering if anyone can help me type my hair. It's pretty long and the longer it get's the straighter it get's because the wieght of the hair is pulling the curl, but the shorter it is I have a mini "fro". I am still not sure what it would be. I have had curly hair all my life and am just now starting to embrace it (at 20 years old). I used to think it was a curse cause I could do nothing with it at all. Please help
<*>I'm so glad it's back!<*>
sara.mwks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara.mwks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 6:47pm
Just like Msl8y: I am having trouble figuring out what type my hair is. Mine is pretty curly if it's long but even more curly now that I cut it short.
zubairgexton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zubairgexton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2014 at 5:01am
nice and informative sharing here about hair. thanks to share..      Android Developer in Pakistan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic