Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rag curls - help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
akaisha0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akaisha0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rag curls - help!
    Posted: June 01 2007 at 2:02am
I've heard a lot about the magic of rag curlers and so I tried it out, but I had a few issues.
First, I have issues wrapping them without tangling my hair.  I put the rag over a pencil to make it easier but it still just doesn't wind up right.  Also I can't get it very close to my head.  Once I slide out the pencil I curl it up tighter so it's very close to my head but once I tie the rags it still falls loose and so it dangles instead of resting against me head.
I also try to gently release the curls in the morning so it doesn't disturb them but my hair constantly tangles!  I damaged my hair much more with rags than I did with pins.
I have also tried pin curls, and am rather fond of them, but I noticed (on the few curls that came out decently) that the rags make better ringlets, which is what I want.
Does anyone have any advice?
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2007 at 6:19am
Hi,

Gosh I love rag curls and they do a wonderful job but for me they are a lot of work and take me a lot of time.  But when I do have time and make the effort I love the spirals. 

Do you apply your rags to wet, damp, partially damp or dry strands?

One thing that I have personally noticed about rags is that if my hair is too wet (I have Type 2 wavy hair with curls at the nape of my neck) when I tie the rags into my hair I find that I can't tie the rags as tightly as I want.  I find that they are easier for me to tie tightly when my hair is slightly damp.

Do you use a detangler or a leave-in conditioner?  When I use a detangler product that is light enough to get my tangles and knots out and then I use rag curls, I have an easier time of them not slipping than when I use one of my leave-in products (Phyto 7, Phyto 9 or Rene Furterer). 

A detangler or glaze will help remove tangles but doesn't make my hair as slippery as a leave-in conditioner.

Also, I find that using a small amount of a gel or glaze product will hold the rags better.

Sometimes I cheat and use the Conair rag rollers that are not exactly the same as tearing up a t-shirt or old sheet but are easier to work with and more like traditional rollers.

Also, I find that my hair grips certain materials better than others.  I cut up an old flannel bedsheet and those strips worked much better than softer cotton.  My hair seemed to grip the flannel better than the cotton.  Of course it could just be my hair which is naturally coarse.

Not sure if any of these tips will help but hopefully they will give you some new ideas to try.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic