Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

manage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Weylon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weylon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: manage
    Posted: June 02 2007 at 2:29pm
Hello, i'm a 22 year old male who has Type 3 curly hair.  I live in extreme deep south Texas, and the humidity is awful.  I have had short hair for the majority of my life, and two years ago I decided to grow it out.  I have no idea what so ever how to manage my hair, and I know currently I am not doing the right thing.  My current routine is either take a shower the night before and towel dry it a little and then put it in a pony tail with a hair elastic and then I usually go to sleep shortly there after OR I will shower and towel dry it a bit and put it in a pony tail and wear a cap over it.  The baseball cap seems to help with the humidity and keeps the hair under it from frizzing out completely.  Any advice on what I should change is greatly appreciated since right now I am completely fed up with my hair and will be cutting it off if my situation cannot be remedied.  Thanks.

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2007 at 6:22am
Originally posted by Weylon Weylon wrote:

Hello, i'm a 22 year old male who has Type 3 curly hair.  I live in extreme deep south Texas, and the humidity is awful.  I have had short hair for the majority of my life, and two years ago I decided to grow it out.  I have no idea what so ever how to manage my hair, and I know currently I am not doing the right thing.  My current routine is either take a shower the night before and towel dry it a little and then put it in a pony tail with a hair elastic and then I usually go to sleep shortly there after OR I will shower and towel dry it a bit and put it in a pony tail and wear a cap over it.  The baseball cap seems to help with the humidity and keeps the hair under it from frizzing out completely.  Any advice on what I should change is greatly appreciated since right now I am completely fed up with my hair and will be cutting it off if my situation cannot be remedied.  Thanks.

Hi and welcome to HairTalk,

I wasn't sure what your ultimate goal was with your hair?  Do you wish to grow it to a much longer length or just wish to keep it the current length but relieve the frizz?

Anyone here will tell you that naturally curly hair has lots of interesting challenges but there are so many people that visit that have tamed their curls and waves that there is a lot of group intelligence about how to manage natural curls.  When you know how to work with your curls, it can be extremely rewarding.

What products are you currently using on your hair?  If you are washing every night are you using full strenght shampoo, diluting the shampoo, doing a conditioning wash only or using only water?   What products are you using?  This can make a huge difference.

If you wish to embrace your natural curls but just avoid the frizz there are definitely things you can to do manage that issue.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Weylon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weylon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2007 at 12:46am
I apologize for not being more thorough whilst explaining my situation.  I currently use Pantent Pro-V Hydrating Curls shampoo and conditioner.  I usually wash it every night or every other night with full shampoo/conditioner treatment.  I would like to keep my hair about the length it is right now or perhaps a bit longer.  I have no real knowledge of caring for my hair so as stated in my previous message, any and all help will be greatly appreciated.  Another thing, my hair always feels really dry and tangled.  And there is hair at the very front of my scalp that get frizzy especially fast, it's a lot lighter than the rest of my hair when it's frizzy and it really annoys me.  Thanks

-weylon
carrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2007 at 7:36am
Originally posted by Weylon Weylon wrote:

I apologize for not being more thorough whilst explaining my situation.  I currently use Pantent Pro-V Hydrating Curls shampoo and conditioner.  I usually wash it every night or every other night with full shampoo/conditioner treatment.  I would like to keep my hair about the length it is right now or perhaps a bit longer.  I have no real knowledge of caring for my hair so as stated in my previous message, any and all help will be greatly appreciated.  Another thing, my hair always feels really dry and tangled.  And there is hair at the very front of my scalp that get frizzy especially fast, it's a lot lighter than the rest of my hair when it's frizzy and it really annoys me.  Thanks
-weylon

Hi Weylon,

Naturally curly hair is famous for getting dry because of the way the cuticle is shaped.  It is a spiral shape and as a result never completely closes so that moisture easily escapes and as curly hair loses moisture it gets more dry.  The drier it gets, the frizzier.

Also, curly hair can have different textures mixed on the head at one time. 

Unfortunately there is no magic formula for which products to use for everyone because no one curlyhead experiences the same results.  However, never fear, there is a lot of curly hair knowledge on the web and people here at HB and in other forums have shared a lot of their experiences on what products may work best.

The first thing I would suggest is that you experiment with a diluted shampoo washing.  Many people with curly hair either shampoo with diluted formulas or do a water only (WO) or Conditioner Only (CO) wash.  You may want to work up to that.

To do a diluted wash, take 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of the Patene Hydrating Curls and mix with 1 quart of warm water shaken up to form a sudsy mixture.  I use empty Smart Water bottles because they are plastic and less danger in the shower.

1.  Always detangle before getting into the shower.
2.  Get your hair really wet with lukewarm water.
3.  Drizzle the suds over the top of your head and then gently pat the suds into your hair as they run down the length.  Do not rub vigourously.
4.  Since you wash every night or every other nite, no need to use the shampoo mix more than one time.
5.  Rinse really well and then gently squeeze excess moisture out of your hair with your fingers. 
6.  Apply the Hydrating Curls conditioner.  Leave it in your hair for at least five minutes.  Longer if you can.
7.  Rinse well and finish with a cool/cold rinse.
8.  Towel blot your hair to remove the excess water.
9.  Apply a good leave-in conditioner or defrisant or a mix of both.  Many people get great results with Phytodefrisant.  It is a little expensive but you only need a dab.  John Frieda also has a good defrisant product that works.  Make sure to apply the defrisant product to the areas of your hair that get the frizziest.
10.  Detangle your hair and either dry with a long finger diffuser attachment to shape your natural curls OR let your hair air dry.

Try out some of these steps to see if it helps.  Shampoo, even shampoo that is designed to hydrate, it often too much when used undiluted on curly hair.  Which means hair will get very dry.

There are a lot of great people on this forum.  I am sure they will post their thoughts as well.

Keep coming back here and let us know what you are experiencing with your hair as you try various things.
Curly Carrie
Check Out CurlTalk at HairBoutique.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic