Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

swimming...and nails!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: swimming...and nails!
    Posted: June 14 2007 at 1:12pm
Recently, I just started swimming as part of my daily workout.  As I have stated before in previous posts...I french manicure my nails weekly.  Well, I got in the pool yesterday...and when I got out.. my nail polish was literally peeling off!  Anyone know how to prevent this?  And I wonder just how bad chlorine is for your nails?
*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 2:37pm
That's a good question.  I regularly get in a jacuzzi full of chlorine, and haven't noticed any detrimental effects on my nails, but I haven't been wearing nail polish either.  Maybe it has worse effects on nail polish, or maybe your nails being wet for so much longer than a shower allowed your nails to get thin and soft (as nails do when wet), and your nail polish just doesn't stick then?  Some of the newer kinds of nail polishes (like Colorstay) are plasticy polymer type things that are supposed to stay on longer, but just peel off even dry if you put them on thick, I could definitely see that kind peeling off of soft nails.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Aloloo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aloloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2008 at 9:45pm
I'm a swimmer. I must get in chlorinated pool at least three times a week. If you're going to be swimming regularly, you might want to consider adding some vitamins or something to keep your nails strong, as mine seem to be weaker because of the chlorine. Also, the nail polish will peel of in the water. I'm not sure why, but it happens to me and all of my swimming friends. It helps if a clear polish is put over the color. I'm not really sure what you can do for a french manicure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic