Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair turned red!! Please help!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amf0613 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amf0613 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair turned red!! Please help!!
    Posted: June 24 2007 at 9:57am
So I tried dying my naturally light/medium brown hair golden blonde. Well... it turned my hair a medium red. I thought I could fix the problem by dying it a lighter blonde, which only resulted in a lighter red. It's hideous! I'm so upset and I don't know what I should do. I just recently moved and don't have a hairstylist here that I trust. I have been dying my hair myself forever and I really don't understand what happened. Please please help me!! Thanks!!
suicides_eve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 8:24pm
dying your hair is just that- color. when you dye your hair you are only depositing color on the shaft not lightening per say.  anything more then 2 shades of your NATURAL color requires 'lifting' which is bleach lightening. that is the only way to remove the color from your hair shaft.

you have my hair, i have LOTS of red undertones which = red tint . i made that same mistake many many years ago. if i was you i would go to sally's and by a color remover such as color zap (i posted a topic w/ pics about using a color remover in the Hair Color forum) and start with a clean slate. and please please please use a good condtioner on your hair to keep it from becoming straw
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 7:54am
Originally posted by suicides_eve suicides_eve wrote:

dying your hair is just that- color. when you dye your hair you are only depositing color on the shaft not lightening per say. When you dye your hair you are not just depositing haircolor onto the hair. Anytime you are using 10, 20, 30, or 40 volume developer with permanent haircolor there is lifting (aka Lightening) involved. Deposit only haircolor would a semi-permanent color applied to the hair. anything more then 2 shades of your NATURAL color requires 'lifting' which is bleach lightening. that is the only way to remove the color from your hair shaft.

you have my hair, i have LOTS of red undertones which = red tint . i made that same mistake many many years ago. if i was you i would go to sally's and by a color remover such as color zap (i posted a topic w/ pics about using a color remover in the Hair Color forum) and start with a clean slate. and please please please use a good condtioner on your hair to keep it from becoming straw

OK well first of all Suicides Eve's post is not accurate...no offense SE. Hair can be lightened with normal haircolor but the hair must be virgin hair. Not previously colored hair. Artificial pigment in the hair from a previous haircolor will not be lightened by putting a lighter haircolor over it. It is one of the fundamental rules of haircoloring. Haircolor will NOT lift artificial pigment from hair. The only way to lighten artificially colored hair is by bleaching.

HairColoring is a science this is why it is best left to licensed professionals like myself who are experienced with HairColoring.

For a better understanding about HairColoring read my introduction to HairColoring at the top of the HairColor Forum.
suicides_eve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suicides_eve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 8:40am
non taken but i have never reciviced a drastic lift on my roots from just coloring alone.  (example med brown to blonde.)for the execption of using like maxi blonde or what not then my roots take on that ugly red gold color. other then that my hair stays pretty much the same brown red it always was.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic