Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chelating shampoo---What is that?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chelating shampoo---What is that?
    Posted: June 28 2007 at 5:15pm
Hello does anyone know what a chelating shampoo is? TIA
Hair album
pw:Romeo
Sistaslick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 5:54pm
Chelating shampoos are like super strong clarifying shampoos that are specifically formulated to remove  mineral deposits (calcium, Magnesium, salts, copper) from the hair.  Regular clarifying shampoos simply remove product buildup, while chelators take it a step further removing minerals and buidlup.  Mineral deposits usually wind up on the hair when someone has hard water or uses no-lye relaxers. 

These chelating shampoos are also often used as precursors to chemical services such as relaxing or coloring hair because of the deep levels at which they are able to work within the hair shaft. They help these processes take a little better.

I use Kenra for chelating.Smile

Edited by Sistaslick - June 28 2007 at 5:56pm
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 11:22pm

Chelating shampoos are also used to prevent "swimmers hair". I use them after swimming to ensure that I remove the harsh pool chemicals from my hair.. (I always follow up with a good moisturizing conditioner, and extra moisturizers when I style my hair) Nexxus makes a chelator gel called "Aloe Rid" which is used in conjunction with their chelating shampoo (also called "Aloe Rid")

Edited by Divavocals - June 30 2007 at 9:08pm
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
digitaldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitaldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2007 at 7:23am
Originally posted by Sistaslick Sistaslick wrote:

Chelating shampoos are like super strong clarifying shampoos that are specifically formulated to remove  mineral deposits (calcium, Magnesium, salts, copper) from the hair.  Regular clarifying shampoos simply remove product buildup, while chelators take it a step further removing minerals and buidlup.  Mineral deposits usually wind up on the hair when someone has hard water or uses no-lye relaxers. 

These chelating shampoos are also often used as precursors to chemical services such as relaxing or coloring hair because of the deep levels at which they are able to work within the hair shaft. They help these processes take a little better.

I use Kenra for chelating.Smile

Great information. If you aren't a swimmer how often do you use chelating shampoos? How do you know when you need a chelating shampoo verses just a regular clarifying shampoo? Also, when you go to buy it does it say chelating shampoo by Aveda or just clarifying shampoo? I just used Aveda as an example.

Ciao!
AS OF 5/25/2007
4A
10 1/2' in the top
10 on the sides
3 1/2 in the back

GOAL
BSL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2007 at 10:47am
Originally posted by digitaldiva digitaldiva wrote:

Great information. If you aren't a swimmer how often do you use chelating shampoos? How do you know when you need a chelating shampoo verses just a regular clarifying shampoo? Also, when you go to buy it does it say chelating shampoo by Aveda or just clarifying shampoo? I just used Aveda as an example.

Ciao!

If you aren't a swimmer, a no-lye user, or don't have hard water, you really don't need a chelating shampoo.  A clarifying shampoo will do everything you need (and some clarifiers actually contain chelating ingredients like EDTA).  A clarifier won't work well if you have hard water though.  So if your shampoo isn't lathering well, you're clarifying and your hair still feels coated, your hair color has a strange cast to it, and just feels rough and tangly in the shower-- you probably have hard water and you might benefit from a chelating shampoo. 

If you don't fit the description for a chelating shampoo (and/or aren't sure if you have hard water), but you want one just in case---  I'd use one once a month or every couple of months just for maintenance.  Most people with hard water know they have hard water, though. LOL 

Most chelating shampoos will say that they are.  Some popular chelating shampoos are:

Shampoo Three' by Paul Mitchell

Kenra Clarifying Shampoo (indications for chelating as well)

Aveda Detox

RESOLVE® Chelating Shampoo from Joico

Elucence Moisture Acidifying Shampoo
Nexxus Aloe Rid
Nexxus - Phyto Organics Kelate Purifying Shampoo
Ouidad Water Works
Artec Texturline Daily Clarifying Shampoo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitaldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2007 at 11:45am
Great!
Thank You
AS OF 5/25/2007
4A
10 1/2' in the top
10 on the sides
3 1/2 in the back

GOAL
BSL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2007 at 4:14pm
No problem!!!Big%20smile
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2007 at 9:07pm
I also wanted to add this: For those of you with hard water, and no home water filtration system, a GREAT solution is a shower filter.. You want the kind with the 6 month or better filters to get the most benefit. (The cheapie ones really don't work well if at all) These little gems come as either a filter which is installed with your existing showerhead or as a showerhead unit with a built-in filtration cartridge. (the latter is the most expensive of these two options -- both are equally effective)

Edited by Divavocals - June 30 2007 at 9:11pm
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2007 at 7:28pm
Thanks for this info, I never knew this.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

femmemuscle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2007 at 10:14am
mizani also has a clarifying/chelating shampoo as well..i use it once every 6 weeks to knock off the mineral build up, and give the hair a clean start...

here in California, we have the worst water...it's full of chemicals, chlorine, flouride..you can smell it, before you drink it...
some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2007 at 9:24pm
Thank you for explaining this for me...I have been thinking of getting Kenra and then I had read about Nexxus too...I think I'll get one of these because I do have hard water in my area and I have to use my garlic poo every shampoo to get rid of build-up but I have been noticing its not cutting it 100%. Great information

Originally posted by Sistaslick Sistaslick wrote:

Originally posted by digitaldiva digitaldiva wrote:

Great information. If you aren't a swimmer how often do you use chelating shampoos? How do you know when you need a chelating shampoo verses just a regular clarifying shampoo? Also, when you go to buy it does it say chelating shampoo by Aveda or just clarifying shampoo? I just used Aveda as an example. Ciao!

If you aren't a swimmer, a no-lye user, or don't have hard water, you really don't need a chelating shampoo.  A clarifying shampoo will do everything you need (and some clarifiers actually contain chelating ingredients like EDTA).  A clarifier won't work well if you have hard water though.  So if your shampoo isn't lathering well, you're clarifying and your hair still feels coated, your hair color has a strange cast to it, and just feels rough and tangly in the shower-- you probably have hard water and you might benefit from a chelating shampoo. 

If you don't fit the description for a chelating shampoo (and/or aren't sure if you have hard water), but you want one just in case---  I'd use one once a month or every couple of months just for maintenance.  Most people with hard water know they have hard water, though. LOL

Most chelating shampoos will say that they are.  Some popular chelating shampoos are:

<P =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Garamond; mso-bidi-font-style: italic">Shampoo Three' by Paul Mitchell<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Garamond; mso-bidi-font-style: italic">Kenra Clarifying Shampoo (indications for chelating as well)

Aveda Detox<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Garamond; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold">RESOLVE® Chelating Shampoo from Joico<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Garamond; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">Elucence Moisture Acidifying Shampoo</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Garamond">Nexxus Aloe RidNexxus - Phyto Organics Kelate Purifying ShampooOuidad Water Works</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Garamond; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">Artec Texturline Daily Clarifying Shampoo<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

Hair album

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2007 at 9:26pm
Hey diva, I wanted something like this 2 christmas ago lol which filter brand do you recommend? I rent my apartment, the one that is installed into the showerhead---could that be removed later? TIA

Originally posted by Divavocals Divavocals wrote:

I also wanted to add this: For those of you with hard water, and no home water filtration system, a GREAT solution is a shower filter.. You want the kind with the 6 month or better filters to get the most benefit. (The cheapie ones really don't work well if at all) These little gems come as either a filter which is installed with your existing showerhead or as a showerhead unit with a built-in filtration cartridge. (the latter is the most expensive of these two options -- both are equally effective)
Hair album

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2007 at 9:32pm
That's why I love hair forums, learn something new everyday

Originally posted by cmesweet cmesweet wrote:

Thanks for this info, I never knew this.
Hair album

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitaldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2007 at 8:11am
Sistaslick originally posted it. She'll tell you the best one to get Tongue
AS OF 5/25/2007
4A
10 1/2' in the top
10 on the sides
3 1/2 in the back

GOAL
BSL
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2007 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by blackhoney112 blackhoney112 wrote:

Hey diva, I wanted something like this 2 christmas ago lol which filter brand do you recommend? I rent my apartment, the one that is installed into the showerhead---could that be removed later? TIA

Originally posted by Divavocals Divavocals wrote:

The one I like and have is the Sprite Slim Line shower filter.. The cartridges on these babies are the 6 month cartridges.. This filter works well, is reasonably priced, and easily removed. Should you move, you can take your shower filter with you!Tongue Home Depot sells these for a pretty good price..

Edited by Divavocals - July 05 2007 at 1:00pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2007 at 4:33pm
Thanks Divavocals!
Hair album

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2007 at 4:34pm
I was curious, how often do you use a chelating shampoo? I usually clarify using Nutrine galric poo once a week...would that be an overkill with a chelating shampoo? TIA
Hair album
annetoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annetoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2007 at 1:50pm

I take it that a chelating shampoo will strip color out of one's hair if they have a rinse? Am I right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 2:06am
Originally posted by annetoin annetoin wrote:

I take it that a chelating shampoo will strip color out of one's hair if they have a rinse? Am I right?

Even a regular shampoo could strip some of your color if you have a rinse.Embarrassed  The color in a rinse is deposited on the outer cuticle, so you'd want to make sure that you're using color safe products in general.  Anything else will cause your color to lose it's vibrancy sooner than you want.  A chelator will definitely pull some of your color.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic