Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hair won't take dye

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amberlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amberlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hair won't take dye
    Posted: July 02 2007 at 9:22am

I have been using a tanning bed for over a year and it has seriously lightened my hair. except for about 2 inches down from the roots.  I wish i would of covered my hair when I started but that's a mute point now. My hair was a medium brown when I started and now the top is still medium but the rest is between a light brown and dark blonde. At first I liked the color but I need to cover the greys so when I dye it  a light brown{which turns the top to a medium brown which I want} the rest still looks blonde. It just won't grab any color. I've tried searching the forums but I must not know how to look for the right words. Anyway, aside from going to a salon, is there anything I can put on it to make the color stick? Thanks!

lovetocolor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2007 at 2:17pm
go to sally's and get a color filler.  you can get them in different colors which i guess in your case would be a brown...i would put it in my hair for the 20 minutes they say to then color hair.  i think that works better than adding the filler to the dye...good luck.
happy coloring
amberlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amberlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2007 at 4:26pm
Thanks! I would have to order online since we don't have a Sally's nearby.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2007 at 5:14pm
isn't that frustrating...i like just going 4 miles and being able to pick up what i want...thank goodness for being able to order off internet.
happy coloring
amberlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amberlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2007 at 7:49pm
okay, I just looked up Sally online and apparently you have to go to the store. Is there anyplace else to order fillers or do you think Walmarts would have them?  (I live in such a dinky town!) Also I once used a hairdye, can't remember which one but it had some kind of cream you put on you hair for a couple minutes and then put the hairdye over it. Was that some kind of filler? I wish I could remember what it was but I go through so many different brands trying to find one that works.
amberlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amberlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2007 at 9:45pm
Another question, I've been going through the boards and people have mentioned putting a semi permenent color on the hair that wont take color and then dying it with a permenent color.Would that work? I want medium brown hair. I know i cant use a medium color or it will come out dark. Should I go for a light brown or dark blonde (for the permenent color) to end up with a medium brown? If so should the  semi be the same color as the permenent color too or should it be darker since that part of my hair is way lighter then my roots? If so, I just put the semi color on my hair without mixing it with  the other bottle that comes with it right? And then I let that dry and then put the permenet color over that?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2007 at 12:41am
i have heard of using semi as a filler....i would go with the lighter color, you can always go darker but lighter is hard on hair....i would use the same shade i guess of both.  i didn't know you could not order from sally's on line.
happy coloring
amberlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amberlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2007 at 4:46am
thanks. I looked up sally beauty and I couldn't find any prices. Just a place to click to show me where I could find a store. Maybe someone knows other stores online that sell sally stuff, besides ebay, if they sell it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2007 at 7:33am
listen, you're going to take the internet route, try redken shades eq...it is a demi-perm but the colors!!!!!  and it is easy on the hair...makes it shiny...they call it a color gloss but it is more than that....it covers grays and is a really great product....you can find anything you would want for your hair on the internet....you'd have to get the developer and you mix ratio 1:1.  if you have questions about it i might be able to answer or you can read about redken shades eq if you look it up online.  good luck.
happy coloring
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2007 at 9:14am
Have thought about going blonde... blonde is a great way to cover grey.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetocolor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2007 at 1:46pm
hal is right...going blonde is a fab idea!!  everyone can about be blonde if they pick the right shade for their eyes and skin....again, great idea.
happy coloring
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic