Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How much biotin do you take?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much biotin do you take?
    Posted: July 03 2007 at 11:24am
Hello everybody!Tongue

I hope everyone is having an awesome hair day! Clap
 I have decided to start taking biotin, and am playing around with how much.
Soooooo..... How much do you take, and what have been the results? I have to be careful with it, or it will make me brake out, so I am also taking zinc to help with that aspect.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 7:15am
Hi Alisa! 

I took biotin and silica in 2003 (in the "hair" vitamins from walmart), only for a month to see if it helped, and it didn't do anything for me - didn't cause my growth for that month to be any faster, which was what I wanted.  I haven't taken it since.  
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Lickalime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lickalime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 10:47am
I was alking Biotin for a while - about six months.  I can't remember why I stopped taking it - I think you have to take it for longer then a month to see or feel results.  I did notice a difference after about a month and a half

I recommended it to someone I worked with and she loved the results she saw
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2007 at 9:09pm
I take 2000mcg of biotin and 800mcg of folic acid every day.  A friend said that's what her doctor recommended to her when she was having a problem with thinning.  I've been taking it for about 8 months now I think, and my hair is growing faster than it ever has before.  That's the only thing I can attribute it to.  I don't remember how long it was before I noticed results, probably 2 or 3 months.  (I've heard it can take up to 6 months to see results from any vitamin.)
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 12:10pm

I have always taken a multi, and used to take a skin hair and nail vitamin from wal mart, which had 3000mcg of biotin.I don't get to wal mart very often, and I found regular biotin at the local safeway.So, I started out taking 3000mcg , but I started to brake out, so I went back to 1000 and added 100 mg of zinc. ( I have read that zinc had the same effet of tetracyclyne in over 75% of those tested )I have cleared up really fast, but I think I may try to go up a little on the biotin. I still need to "tweek" it a little to find my dosage amount.

I just started mabye 2 weeks ago, so I know there has been no results,yet, but I am hoping it will help speed things along.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2007 at 8:46pm
Oh my goodness!  I just measured my hair and it's now just reached 39 inches!!  Since I've been taking biotin and folic acid, my hair has been averaging a gain of one inch per month!  That's absolutely amazing for me....... cheer
sarah
40 inches
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2007 at 2:58pm
YAAAAAHHHH!!!! Clap
I am so happy for you! That is so exciting! So, were does it hit you now? To have curly hair and have it be that long, I bet it is so beautiful!!!

I have had to back off the biotin a little, I started getting a little acne.I lowered it to 1000 and upped my zinc. I am not going to give up on it though, my hair now measures at 33 in,so I  am starting to see the results.Oh, and, Oh, my goodness, my nails are rock hard, and growing like crazy! I keep having people ask me if they are real! When I say thay are, whoever I am talking to, always grabs my hand and looks like they have to make sure!LOL
I think I am going to alternate every other day. Take 100 one day, and 2000 the next. I just need to expermiment.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2007 at 7:48pm
I take 2 5mg capsules per day of biotin.  I also take 3 50mg caplets of zinc per day.  (Along with a bunch of other stuff.  The supplementation regimen seems to work well for me.)
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 11:04am
That is quite a bit a biotin, Dave, no wonder your have such great hair!Thumbs%20Up

I also take 3 50mg of zinc.Have you noticed any nauseousness with the zinc? Even with just one 50 mg tablet I get a little queasy. If I drink milk with it it doesn't happen, no matter how many I take at once.
 I am going to try to separate my biotin into morning and evening assumption. Hopefully I can up it this way. I already do this with my flax, and cod liver oils, so I don't feel like I am taking 15 pills at a time!Confused 
When I take everything at once, I have noticed that I tend to stop for a day or two once in a while, then go," oh, I haven't taken my vitamins lately," I can say that I don't go longer than a day or two. So I  am hoping that splitting everything up will help wit this problem. 

Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2007 at 7:57pm
Truth be told Alisa, the biotin seems to help reduce my rate of fallout.  I can't tell what its growth rate is anymore since it isn't getting any longer (already at terminal length).  Nails were always fairly strong, but got even stronger once I added the biotin.  And they grow a little faster (which for me is not a benefit).

I take each zinc caplet with the 3 primary daily meals (along with vitamin & mineral & other supplementation).  I've never noticed any nausea from the zinc, although I have heard from others that they experience the feeling from taking zinc supplements.  Zinc helps hair (lessens grey!) and skin (fights acne!) and my diet isn't otherwise high in zinc so the current supplementation level seems helpful.

Edited by DaveDecker - July 31 2007 at 7:58pm
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 10:43am
Zinc lessens gray? Cool!! I was just taking it for my skin, but thats great.

I was taking the hair formula 37. I quit because it is basically amino acids, and I get enough of them through diet, so I added the biotin to help assimilate the protein.( not to mention biotin is cheaper).ALso because I had read that it helps with fall out and growth.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
baby*flower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baby*flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 7:34pm

can anyone tell me more about the supplements you guys take? does it interfere with weight, or have any other side effects? and where can i buy them? i recently was condering hair extensions and have now just realized that is a BIG mistake im turning to other options to have my hair grow faster and thicker can anyone please help me out, i dont know much about any supplements to take for hair growth it would be a big help if someone could educate me, thank you!

Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2007 at 11:52am

First of all make sure you are taking a good multi vitamin.If you do nothing else, at least take a multi. Hair needs protein to grow.Make sure you are getting enough, either through diet ( the best) or supplements. Essential fatty acids are great, take flax seed oil, fish oil, there are even some out that have borage, flax, and fish together. I personally take flax and cod liver oil.

HairBraider says folic acid is good. I have not taken it but I am very interested in it and as soon as I can find some I am going to try it.As this post indicates, alot of people take biotin. It helps your body to assimilate what you eat, thus helping with energy and absorption.
i just read an article where it briefly stated that zinc was good for hair. I have been taking it because I tend to brake out from biotin, and zinc is good for acne, sooo yeah!Thumbs%20Up I know that zinc helps with healing, and immune functions, ( which is why it is good for acne) but I don't know exactly why it is good for your hair. But, it just makes sense that anything that is good for  your skin would be good for your hair, and vice versa. Not to mention your nails. As I mentioned before, I have had so many people stop and ask me if mine are real! I do a French manicure on them, which, I love. People are always commenting on them. Just a perk of good nutrition I guess.

Anyhow.... These are just a few I am sure of what you can take. I am sure there are more out there. But I hope this helped some.

Edited by Alisa06 - August 07 2007 at 11:54am
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Alisa06 Alisa06 wrote:

HairBraider says folic acid is good. I have not taken it but I am very interested in it and as soon as I can find some I am going to try it.

It was recommended to someone I know by her doctor.  I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it.  He just told her to take biotin and folic acid.  So that's what I've been doing.
sarah
40 inches
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2007 at 10:20am

According to this article,and several others I have found, folic acid is helpful at the cellular level with DNA and RNA production.It also helps to utalize and create new proteins.

I got a bottle this weekend, so I am now taking it.I found a good size bottle at Costco for under $5!  I am hoping to get some good results with the addition.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2007 at 10:28pm
Thanks for doing the research, Alisa.  book
sarah
40 inches
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 10:00am
Your welcome, Sarah. I looovvveee research, espeially about anything that has anything to do with health. I find myself spending hours on the web looking things up.For no other reason than I just want to now.

Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2007 at 11:32pm
Alisa, I am so the same way!  I'm totally addicted to the internet for that very reason.  I have to limit my time or I'd never do anything else. Geek
sarah
40 inches
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 8:27am
Tell me about it! I have to make myself get up sometimes. Although, being a mom of three kind of  takes care of that for me at times. The mornings are usually my"free time".

I forgot to mention, that my skin is starting to get really soft. I have been taking the  biotin for about 2 months now, and the folic acid for one week. Just thought I would mention it. I did not expect it, but I definitely welcome it!Thumbs%20Up

Edited by Alisa06 - August 17 2007 at 8:31am
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
lola32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 11:21pm
so, taking folic acid and biotin is good for your hair ?I want to take biotin , but I'm scared I might break out. What is folic acid good for ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic