Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shampoos and extension hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
sourgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sourgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by malibu malibu wrote:

Krimsa, I totally hear you about the bonds. The sew ins is a whole lot easier!! I thought it would bother me and be bulky, etc. I really just forget they're in.
I did like the feel of bonds though. It felt more natural but I'm used to wefts now.

SourGirl, I'm still unclear as to how your hair got damaged. I would think that if the GL caused damage it would be where the bond is, ya know?

Carol, it shouldn't be so bulky. It sounds like you had too much hair in your braid? hmmmm But yeah, they're very secure. I think you would really like it.

My hair got damaged because of a bad install. the bonds were really thick and some of the bonds ended up sticking together making one big clump, she kept telling me I had to get in there and wash them really good, and when I did it matted my hair around and above the bonds.
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 5:25pm
I think also when getting tracks you have to really go to someone good who knows what they are doing and can work with your particular hair type. The micro wefts are really small and lay totally flat but if the braider takes too much hair like Malibu said, that can cause problems. I think overall, less can go wrong with sew ins but the person doing it needs to be experienced and also some education needs to be given to the client after the install about care and washing and maintenance.
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 5:20pm
Krimsa, I totally hear you about the bonds. The sew ins is a whole lot easier!! I thought it would bother me and be bulky, etc. I really just forget they're in.
I did like the feel of bonds though. It felt more natural but I'm used to wefts now.

SourGirl, I'm still unclear as to how your hair got damaged. I would think that if the GL caused damage it would be where the bond is, ya know?

Carol, it shouldn't be so bulky. It sounds like you had too much hair in your braid? hmmmm But yeah, they're very secure. I think you would really like it.

krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 4:51pm
Yeah tracks certainly have a different feel to them than individual bonds. It’s nothing bad though. To me it just feels like a bit of string tied around my head and I don’t even notice it anymore really. In fact strand by strand method and all those bonds drove me nuts. I didn’t like constantly checking for danglers or loose ones and having to hold the hair when I brushed to keep stress off them. Weaves have a much sturdier connected feel. That’s the main difference in my opinion but say if wearing a bandana or head band or something like that bothers you, you might be annoyed with tracks. It depends on your sensitivity level to things on your head I would guess.
sourgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sourgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 4:36pm
When I had GL last year towards the end I noticed the ends were splitting and getting really dried. I got a free sample of fekkai overnight hair repair that you apply on dry hair. And it instantly brought back the luster and shine. When I got the extensions taken out and saw how much damage it did to my hair, I tried everything and nothing made my hair appear healthier. Then I remembered the free sample I got and decided to buy it. When I went to order it it was $195!!!!! I finally went on ebay and got it for $60 which was still way to pricey, but I needed help. Between using that and Ojon hair repair I quickly got my hair back into shape. Any way I went on way too long, but if you come across a free sample or a good deal on ebay Fekkai overnight repair is great on dry extensions, a little goes a long way and if its a humid frizzy hair day, i just use a dab and it keeps my hair shiny and tame all day.
Carol328 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol328 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 12:38am
Originally posted by malibu malibu wrote:

Carol, I think you'll love how easy the sew ins are compared to the fusion. It's a different feel though but you get a lot more coverage and volume.

Thank you Malibu.  I think I would get use to it pretty quickly too.  I remember when I wore them years ago back in the 80's how stiff and big the wefts were but I always felt very secure in wearing them.  Thank goodness though that they have come a long way since then!  The wefts today are so much smaller and natural looking.

Thank you Krimsa for the advice too.  I am going to ask my stylist if she does them.
This is such a great board and Im so happy to have found it!!  I use to think that GL's were the only extensions out there but I've learned alot since then and am still learning.
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by tessa111 tessa111 wrote:

I have gotten to a point where I wash on the fourth or fifth day and just spritz with water on the bumps from my braid at night and they look great! 

What do you mean you spritz water on the bumps at night?

krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 12:53pm
Thanks Malibu. I just did a little top shampoo today of my natural hair. I might ad that it is so much easier to do that with a sew in because you can clearly tell the division between the top track and your own hair and can just clip it back. I just got a speck of water on the top track and even that made it feel a little softer so it should be fine once its shampooed. It doesnt hurt or anything just if you touched the top of my head it would kind of feel like I had a tiarra under there or something rigid but you cant see it at all. I love the sew ins! I am kicking myself now for all those years of fusion and the money I spent. This whole time I could have been wearin tracks and using nice Russian hair! Live and learn I guess hehe.

I dont know how many of you have ever touched a rabbit but if you have you know how sleek and smooth their fur is, this hair is almost that soft!

Edited by krimsa - July 10 2007 at 12:56pm
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 12:12pm
Hey Krimsa, I'm so happy to hear that you're enjoying your sew-ins!! I think the stiffness on the weft will lessen over time. I think sew ins are so much easier to maintain. I'm surprised that you asked for it to be as tight as possible!! And you don't feel it!! It always feels tight the first couple of days for me.

JeepGirl, Triple moisture is great! I also love Hello Hydration (not as thick). I've done deep conditionings with the triple moisture. Have you tried Loreal's Nature's Therapy? I really like that too.

Carol, I think you'll love how easy the sew ins are compared to the fusion. It's a different feel though but you get a lot more coverage and volume.

krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 8:26am
Hi Carol, sorry didnt see your post earlier. It depends on the tracks who charges what. She did 3 for me for $100 and trimmed the hair even at the ends, slightly razored it on the sides for blending and did a little bit of styling and showed me some good ways to wear it. All that for $100 I think is VERY fair.

It will vary though and I think it really depends on the stylist, the salon and just what they feel like charging. This lady was working out of her house. She used both thread and little itty bitty rubber bands to make the wefts very secure and in there.

I dont think we are allowed to advertise hair sites here? I dont know. Just do a search for Russian Hair Store USA and it will come up.
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 6:05am
Thanks Tessa. Yeah I like the sew in. The only issue I had was the wefts were stiff at the top and she sewed them in like that! So they feel a little bit hard around my head right now. I think normally wefts are kind of soft at the top but these came with like a clear coat on them. I am guessing once I wash them the first couple times they might soften up a bit and I hope that doesnt make them loose. I should have soaked them in conditioner or something overnight probably but I didnt know to do that lol. Well I definitely wont get shedding.
Carol328 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol328 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 12:32am
 Wow, after hearing so many good reviews on the sew ins Im thinking of maybe giving them a try again.  I use to wear them years ago (and I mean years ago!!) back in the early 80's and never had problems with them.
I am currently (still) wearing the fusion bonds, but like Krimsa said the worry over losing the strands is really a pain. (especially out in public!!)
I recently bought some nice Bohyme hair from Ebonyline in handtied too.
I will have to find somebody to do them though around here.

For those of you who have them in now, can you tell me if they're expensive to put in?    I know every place is different but I have no clue at all on what they charge for this since it has been years since I've worn them.

Also, Krimsa, can I ask you where you've purchased the Russian hair from if you don't mind?  Im just wondering because I don't see many sites to purchase Russian hair. 

And, I got to try that Trader Joe stuff!!  I love that store and shop there all the time.  I never thought to check out their hair products!
Thanks for the tips!Thumbs%20Up
JeepGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 10:49am
MAn all this talk about sew ins.....I really want that done but am having a problem finding someone in the Nashville. Tn area to do them.  Soon as I find someone I'm going to have the sew-in done.
I'm also going to try the Neutrogena Triple Moisture...thx for the tip Amm!
PS.My husband thanks you to Amm for the tip on the After Party leave in stuff.......he LOVES it......and you are the one that told me about it several months ago.
Thanks,
JeepGirl

Current install-Bohyme Bodywave #30 and #14 in the straight hair/ they didn't have the #14 in bodywave, so I mixed them...works great!
tessa111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tessa111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 9:08am
Krisma,  I am soo glad that you love your sew-ins!!  I love mine too and have a re-install tomorrow to have them moved up and think they are so easy and fun!  I have gotten to a point where I wash on the fourth or fifth day and just spritz with water on the bumps from my braid at night and they look great!  So much easier than my own hair.  I am too lazy to flat iron so I have gotten to the point that when I do wash it, I dry my own bangs and get the attached portion dry and then let it air-dry with some Bumble and Bumble Prep and off I go!  I use Chi Silk Infusion to protect the ends and calm any fly away and I love it!!  Glad you are pleased!!
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 7:04pm
Yeah its awesome. I told her to go as tight as possible and I guess my scalp is pretty tough now after years of extension wear lol. No pain or anything and it seems really on there! I like the freedon of not having to worry about slipping bonds and is everything level and am I losing one. That just got annoying. A sew in is there for the long haul until you need it redone.

Edited by krimsa - July 08 2007 at 7:05pm
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 7:02pm
Cool! I'm glad you like the tracks! I love my sew in!!

krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2007 at 4:05pm
Oh and I did get the sew in on saturday. Its nice and I really like it. This Russian hair is fantastic and so soft and smooth. It just feels so much better than any other hair type I have used. Anyway the only issue with the lady doing the sew in was I brought the wefts to her stiff at the top with that coating on them still and she acted like she had never seen that before and didnt think she could work with it. I told her to try getting it wet and soak in conditioner and she didnt really understand and just decided to sew them in like that. Anyway she just bent them around my head and sewed in so Im hoping they get softer after I shampoo? I dont know. I have never dealt with wefts before and thought she would know more about them lol.

I would say that sew ins have just as much natural movement as strand by strand methods. The only differance is instead of a billion little bonds on your head that you have to worry about, its just 3-4 tracks and wefts but you get virtually the same effect and I think the wefts actually are more hidden because its more like a "tiarra" effect with one line going around instead of all those separate attachments.   

Edited by krimsa - July 08 2007 at 6:05pm
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 5:18pm
Wow! I'm going to look for those!!

amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by monsterita monsterita wrote:

I just found a wonderful non-sulfate shampoo for less than $5 a bottle at Trader Joes.

Here's something else...

Trader Joe's carries a line of dog shampoo from Cloud Star called Buddy Wash. Works on our hair, too! It's non-sulfate and check out the natural ingredients!

https://www9.mailordercentral.com/cloudstar/prodinfo.asp?number=W1520. A huge 19oz bottle is less than $9 and the lavender/mint aroma is fantastic. Best thing is that every purchase Cloud Star gives back to non-profit animal rescues.
monsterita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsterita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2007 at 4:10pm
I just found a wonderful non-sulfate shampoo for less than $5 a bottle at Trader Joes.  It's really nice and leaves my hair feeling as good as the Pureology.  Garnier didn't do as good a job for me and I had extensions go bad using that shampoo.  I haven't tried the Herbal Essences because I object to their commercials.  Confused

cathug<---------  I just thought that was cute. 
Hair type: 1a/f/i
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic