Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

creased hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bluebuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: creased hair
    Posted: April 25 2003 at 1:07am
I sometimes have to wear a ponytail but I've noticed that it creases my hair, and now the crease seems to have become permanent. Is there anyway I can get it back to normal without cutting or excessive blowdrying? My hair is thick and a little wavy, shoulder length.

Thanks
caro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 4:33am
Hey,

I have the same problem, I have a little over the shoulder layered style, I want to grow it at least bra-strap lenth, I want to keep the layers framing my face but I want to grow out the layers in the back.

the top layer, at chin length always makes a crease with a ponytail holder but when I wash it it's gone.

I hope it isn't permanent damage, maybe you can try not to wear a ponytail for a while to see how it goes.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 6:56pm
Welcome to the board, bluebuster!

I think Caro's ideas are good. I wonder if you are ponytailing your hair when it's wet or damp and it dries in the ponytail? Anyway, I definitely don't think that cutting your hair will remove the "crease" in your hair. Let us know if you try Caro's suggestions and if they work for you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2003 at 2:48pm
Hi! Thanks for the response and the welcome! To answer your question Dave, no I'm not tying my hair when it's wet. I usually let it air dry and then comb it down. I will try the suggestions given however. Thank you!
Nicole Z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicole Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2003 at 7:26pm
Be sure that the hairtie you're using isn't one of the thin kind. Also, anything with metal connectors are bad because your hair will get caught in the connectors and tangle and rip it out. These are especially good at making a bend or dent in your hair.

The best, by far, are scrunchies. Because the surface area of what is gathering your hair is so large, your hair will not get that bend. It will get more of a wave.

Hair Hoisery are really good at avoiding the bend. Also, large hairties without metal connectors of thin, medium & thick are better for reducing the bend. The lack of a metal connector (but the addition of glued connections) in the largest ones (like triple-quadruple thickness of the thin bands) are much better at reducing the bend.

The good news is, the longer your hair gets, the weight of it pulls the bend out.
My hair is almost to my knees (~50") and continues to grow longer. Rather slowly these days, but that's ok - it's still *growing*.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2003 at 7:50pm
Thanks, I guess I should've mentioned that I'm male. So a scrunchie might look a little strange on me. :) But yes, I do use the ouchless thick kind. I'm planning on growing it longer though, so perhaps that will pull it out, or maybe it will go away by itself.
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2003 at 12:35am
Oh yes, but like Nicole said, you should try the ones that are like hosiery. Scunci makes them and they probably have them at your local drug store. They're not feminine at all, they're just made of the same material as women's hosiery. They come in black and brown.

Here, I grabbed mine. It says "Scunci Style Super Soft - No Damage - Won't Dent or Pull Hair - Light Weight"

Honestly, especially with the black ones, you can't tell it's women's hosiery material. It just looks like a wide black band.

I don't wear my hair in a ponytail much though- I think ponytails damage my hair simply because the weight of your entire head of hair is being held by the hairs on top. The hairs on the top-center-back of my head are very straw-like, unlike the rest of my hair. This has to be because I used to have to wear my hair in a ponytail every day for marching band practice and lifeguarding. No more!

Maybe if I had had these hosiery elastics back then, I'd be better off now.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2003 at 2:01am
Hi Welcome BlueBuster,

Blax makes these wonderful elasticized plastic stretchy bands that will not rip or tear hair and will not make creases. I wear them ever day and love them so much that I can't recommend them highly enough. Also, scrunchies made from pantysocks are wonderful as are smaller scrunchies.

If you like, you can also buy long barrettes in a variety of sizes and use them to hold your ponytail in place. I use a really big fat one from Karina and it will hold up all my hair w/out creasing it. Goody also makes some big volume barrettes that are comparable.

Sometimes creases are more obvious if you make a ponytail when your hair is still damp. And of course as all the other very wise people already pointed out, using anything with strong elastic or a metal connector will make the creases much worse.

Best wishes,
Karen Shelton
shelton@hairboutique.com
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic