Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Orange hair? What to do....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ginger08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginger08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Orange hair? What to do....
    Posted: August 01 2007 at 6:22pm
Well my hair is on the orange side, again. No one will give me an honest opinion on it, or what I need to do to correct it. I used Hi Lift Brown by Loreal...from the supermarket, to a supposed light ash brown. I was using some colors from Sallys but the gals there are pretty uninformed with helping and Ive ended up with much worse results there over the years. I was going for light brown, my natural is med. brown, but I like the lighter hair. I have been coloring for about 20 years now and  I work at keeping my hair in shape despite the damage it causes. I would like to just tone down the orange; do I need to use a toner, which Ive never done before,  or go over with a different light brown color? Sigh...I love doing this stuff!~
Ive attached my passport photo, too late to get my hair fixed for that! Any advice given would be great...Thanks!

Ginger
r4ch3l View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r4ch3l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2007 at 8:09pm
This isn't any help, but I thought i'd say I really like it the way it is :)
alwaysandnever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alwaysandnever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 1:50am
Well I don't really have advice but I just wanted to comment because I used the exact same dye a year about - Loreal Preference Ultra Light Ash Brown. I have darker hair - dark brown/black and I used it an it turned out okay, and I'm surprised yours turned orange. Mine was variable to the lighting sources, sometimes even appearing dark brown, other times appearing red [like the sun]. I wish my hair turned out "lighter"; how long did you leave the dye in for?

But honestly, it doesn't even look bad. Was your hair virgin hair or did you have it dyed something else before you used this dye?

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 12:06pm
I'm surprised yours turned orange too...a brown dye called "ash" is usually one with a green base, that would have countered any reds that came out, so that should have worked.  Guess it was more neutral than ash though, they never write such useful info on boxed colors. 

I'd go over it again with a light brown dye that has a green base (you'll find dyes with bases written on them at Sally).  Use a low volume developer since you don't need any more lift, that will help prevent damage you'd get if you used higher volumes (10 vol. would be plenty).  Since you are going darker and your hair is more porous, make sure you choose a brown that is light, if you choose one too dark you could wind up with almost black hair.  Test stranding it is a good idea.

I agree with the others though, I think you look good as a redhead. 

Edited by Susan W - August 02 2007 at 12:07pm
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Ginger08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginger08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 12:27pm

Thanks for the thoughts and Ideas...I just wanted to be lighter for summer without going "blonde" since Ive been there done that and it wasnt pretty!!~ So on second thought now, with what Ive read, I might do some more searching on red and how I might be able to keep it. I just didnt want to be one of the ones walking around with funny haircolor that thinks its great...thats why there are sooooo many makeover shows! Thanks a bunch!!~

MileHiGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MileHiGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 8:11pm
The haircolor in your photo does not look funny at all, but I know what you mean.   I think it really helps to see a photo of yourself to see how a color actually looks on you.  I had realized my blonde was way too light for me when i saw a pic of myself.
With your complexion tone and eye color, the color looks very natural on you!  I'm trying to tone orange out with an ash, as the orange doesn't complement me like it does you! (i need more of a red than copper shade for fall when I will do this)
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 7:03am
Keeping red dye on will probably be a little easier for you than most since you've lightened your hair to orange.  Reds have a big problem with fading, but yours will only fade to a red shade, so you are good to go!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic