Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DOMINICAN PRODUCTS - ARE BAD FOR YOUR HAIR!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lusciouscurlz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lusciouscurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DOMINICAN PRODUCTS - ARE BAD FOR YOUR HAIR!
    Posted: August 03 2007 at 2:41pm
Hi,

I have just gone through all threads concerning Dominican Products.

Please beware of Dominican Products. They are known in the Dominican Community as a "quick-fix". They are just used to get the style right, for the momment.

Lacio,Salerm, etc.. all contain Dimethicone which is bad for the hair, it dries it out, weakens it, and is NO good for any hair. Its temporary- but the damaging effects last way long after that. They don't tell you this, correct? Why should they- they get that $40 bucks from you for the Wash & set and Blow ( not including tip) and you walk away happy as a bird. But you all know that is not you hair in its healthy state- its all a cover. If it was doing such great things to your hair, why when you wash your hair without any of their products you hair is no better???

I am Dominican and live in Washington Heights. Believe me NO Dominican uses these products, I repeat WE do not use these products. No Dominican does. We use cold pressed olive oil, avocado oil ONLY to deep condition. WE only do wash and set and NEVER, EVER do Blow Dry or Flat Iron- Its too damaging. That is why everyone says Dominicans have good hair. Its not that. Its that we donot use these products, The Dominican Salon stylists tell you that they use these products, but they DO NOT! They use it on their clients, because the clients want to look great!- for the momment.

Listen, if you want great hair, any hair type can have can look its best. Just DO NOT use any products that have Dimethicone. If you put a Dominican on an Island for a year with no relaxer, and no stylin' products her hair is exactly (100%) the same hair as african american women absolutely no difference whatsoever, AT ALL!!

Its just that we relax, wash & set and use all natural things and regular tims to our ends-   You have no idea what a good relaxer does, followed by Dimethicone-free hair products AND REGULAR TRIMS- I MEAN REGULAR- ITS THE KEY- I KNOW YOU GIRLS LIKE LENGTH BUT GET THOSE ENDS TRIMMED.

Its a a fassad! Listen to me....Don't believe the "Dominican Hype". They don't use those products they are shoving down your throats. Dimethicone coats hair, thats it and its TEMPORARY!!!. bUT THE dAMAGE IS CONTINUOUS. Dimethicone: Used for its superior spreadability, excellent emolliency, water repellency- THIS IS ALL TEMPORARY!

Ladies, once again Don't believe the HYPE!

Sala Malecum -Yaya nkisi
Sistaslick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2007 at 12:41am
 As far as Dominican Products being good, I've only used the Salerm 21 leave in conditioner and have no complaints about that.  It's a staple of mine.  I do agree that just because something is "Domincan" doesn't make it automatically 100% special or good.  Same thing goes for "Indian" products.  I think many of us tend to feel that if it's "exotic" or "foreign" it's got to be great, but many of the people with healthy hair in those regions also have very simple, healthy hair regimens and practices period.  The products aren't the end all be all. 

Pretty much everything that we put on our hair is temporary and a "quick fix."  Nothing applied to the hair creates any permanent change in the hair shaft except chemical processes like relaxers and permanent colors.  Everything else, shampoos, conditioners, moisturizers are all temporary hair fixes.  Their effects are always washed down the drain at the next washing.  It is all surface acting.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that dimethicone is bad for the hair or that it damages the hair either.  Many products, particularly conditioners and leave ins, contain dimethicone and other silicone derivatives to aid in the detangling process.  In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a good conditioner without them, Dominican or not.  Dimethicone forms a breathable layer on the hair shaft and is actually one of the better "cones" to use on the hair.  It can be removed from the shaft rather easily, unlike amodimethicone and cyclomethicone which are much more stubborn.  Those usually require a sulfate or clarifying shampoo to remove from the shaft.

Finally, "cones" can dry out the hair, but only if they are allowed to build up on the hair shaft, and the hair is not conditioned well prior to using them.  But no one can deny their benefits.  They are excellent detanglers, cuticle smoothers, frizz busters, friction reducers, and thermal protectors.  If you are going to use heat on the hair, you'd better have some silicones on the shaft to buffer the heat and reduce cuticle damage.  Silicones do have a place in healthy hair care.Embarrassed

digitaldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitaldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2007 at 9:58am
Interesting....

AS OF 5/25/2007
4A
10 1/2' in the top
10 on the sides
3 1/2 in the back

GOAL
BSL
kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2007 at 10:20am
Giveupi am still looking for stuff to use on my natural hair. i was about to get some Dom products from bluebeez.com and now Confused
what's a girl to do.  Eh
We need an honest scientist on the jobDetective 
http://public.fotki.com/Kell1e/
Transitioning since Aug 06
Last Relaxer Apr 06
coutourqueen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coutourqueen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 11:56am
dang, i love me some silicone mix. i don't use it a lot though because of the cones in it. but it works wonders!
www.lovelylocs.com
blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 5:14pm
ITA w/sistaslick....anything can be bad if you overdo it and silicones are the same way...i use cone products but in moderation and i clarify to remove build-up...my experience with dominican conditioners has been positive and other than kenra mc all my deep conditioners are dominican (miss keys 10 en1, miss keys avocado, silicon mix, salerm wheat germ mask)
Hair album
pw:Romeo
MsMocha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 5:31pm
I never have used any Dominican products but I get the gist of what you're saying is 'Don't believe the hype' and go for something because of the name attached. I also don't think cones are bad and that they have their role in actually benefiting the hair.
synthia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote synthia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 6:17pm
Interesting. Thanks Lusciouscurlz.

I've never used Dominican products becaues I don't like their ingredients ... the cones, mineral oil, etc. A lot of really cheap stuff.

I switched to natural products about a year ago and my hair is 5 times better. Even when I put nothing on it at all ... I can tell the healthy, natural, earthy products have altered the texture and quality of my hair.

And finally, no more moisture problems because the natural conditioners and leave-ins have been the best at deep conditioning and detangling for me.
In fact, I had to get rid of big liters of Aveda Damage Remedy because they ruined all those wonderful ingredients by including 'cones...which after a couple of weeks ruined the behavior of my hair.

Interesting to hear, from at least one perspective, that Dominicans don't use these commericial products ...which I assume evolved from the the practice of Dominicans using the natural ingredients at the heart of the products but now thrown into them in small measure --- with a whole lot of quick fix stuff thrown in.

I've seen healthy heads from people using these Domincan products, but I know they wouldn't have suited my hair or admiration for natural stuff.

Edited by synthia - August 18 2007 at 1:05pm
redhed787 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhed787 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 6:56pm

Hey hey hey I've never used these products either.. but would they fix THIS?!

Cry Cry Cry Cry
Cry Cry Cry Cry
Angry

I am so desperate omg I'll try anything haha! Would it fix that? The thickness and poofyness Cry
Samanthajones67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samanthajones67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2007 at 11:43am
I guess it depends on the products and the person's hair.
I don't use commercial products....so Iprobably would not use them.
Mrs. Jones
sugaplum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugaplum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2007 at 5:41pm
This is very ineresting to read.  I've been using Dominican products for a while now and my hair has never thrived so well.  True they do have cones, but I just use it in moderation.
100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2007 at 2:36pm
I used to use them quite frequently on my hair and i loved the results. I may purchase some again in the near future. There is a hispanic grocery store across the street that carries them. I didn't experience any ill effects using them on my natural hair.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic