FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

reggie miller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Willie SKRILLA View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie SKRILLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 1:49am
Originally posted by JaySole JaySole wrote:

Mark Montieth of the Indy Star gives several reasons why Reggie Miller won't join the Boston Celtics. Among them:

- Miller indicated last year when Dallas expressed an interest that he wouldn't return just to chase a ring.

- Though he's a team player, Miller may not be comfortable in a role limiting him to just 15 minutes per game.

* Although he doesn’t need the money, I don’t see him going to all the trouble of getting in shape and resurrecting his NBA life for the veteran’s minimum.

* He told me a few years before he retired that he wouldn’t play past the age of 40 because it “wouldn’t be fair to my body,” and he stuck with that. He turns 42 on Aug 24, which means he's still past the age of 40. Always will be, too

* He’s a competitor and he loves the spotlight, but he also knows his history and has plenty of common sense. That means he knows the odds against any athlete past the age of 40 successfully coming back from a two-year layoff.

In other words he doesn’t want to be another Willie Mays, tripping over his own feet in the outfield while closing out his baseball career with the Mets at the age of (drum roll, please) 42.

Miller respects his legacy with the Pacers too much to soil it by becoming a green-clad mercenary. Not many pro athletes have come out of retirement to play for another team after their jersey numbers have been retired. Besides, he could never look at that Bentley Mel and Herb Simon gave him the same again.* He’s a sophisticated man who can adapt to most any environment, but I don’t see him being comfortable in Boston. Why brave the weather, traffic and sterile confines of the league’s worst arena? The chowder isn’t that good.* He hit 32 percent of his 3-point shots his last season with the Pacers. Has he improved since then?

He’s got a good life going. He can’t possibly be that bored. And if he is, I've got a used set of golf clubs I'll give him. They'd make a lovely birthday gift. A lovely 42nd birthday gift, I might add.

This guy seems like a big Stan for Reggie. Hes basically begging him in prose to leave the game alone and quit competing. I can't say I have any big pros to him returning. But there are quite a few cons of which were all listed.
You can't win with women. You just have to maintain."
- Wave Connection

Real Recognize Real
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic