Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Graylicious, it's me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Blackjade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackjade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Graylicious, it's me
    Posted: August 11 2007 at 12:34am
Hello, first I want to say that I was glad to find a site that talks about gray hair and sad to see that it is not very active. So come on back and lets talk. I am completely gray. I have been gray for a while, I was a natural for two years until March and then I relaxed.

I have not had a relaxer since Mar. and this is what I do with my hair. I was about 3 or 4 times a week. Use mane and tail conditoner as a leave in and because lately my hair has been grasping everything, that is yellowish, I use bantu and I leave it in, moisturize, oil and scrunch my hair and let it air dry.

I am also using Surge Plus 14, Castor Oil, S Curl. I have about 10 inches in the back and 8.5 inches on the top and sides.

I use to dye my hair and get it relaxed, stopped because it was thinning the top out.

I am often compliemented on my hair color. I have found out people not like natural, but who cares. I think gray hair is beautiful.

come on back ladies and gents..

Blackjade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackjade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2007 at 1:56pm
Welcome Blackjade....dang where is everyone.
Did you find another board to post on about gray hair?
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2007 at 5:45pm
Yes, I wish this board was busier.  Perhaps "silver strands" would be a more exciting name for it.  I've seen messages (usually negative) about grey hair on the hair color board and on "bloopers".  All the disaster stories there should put people off hair dye  forever.
dolcecasa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dolcecasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 3:22pm
Bumpin this thread up! Hi everyone I think it
should be sexy silvers IMO. Hows everyones hair
growing,or routines going. I went back to using
silicone conditioners. My coarse hair is MUCH nicer
now.

Dolcecasa
dolcecasa!
mammy4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mammy4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2008 at 11:21pm
Hi eveyone, I had all the dye cut off in May. It was a pixieish cut but it had to be done(couldn't stand it any longerWacko. It has been 3 months and it's growing. I like the color it's silvery in the front and sides and gray in the back. I'm going to let it grow long as it will grow. Going to be 60 in Oct.
Age is just your attitude
tarheelgal05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarheelgal05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2008 at 3:26pm

Hi, All:

I’m not a senior yet (actually only 30), but I’m prematurely gray and have been dyeing my naturally dark hair blonde for several years in order to conceal it.  However, the constant dyeing has taken a toll on my hair and I am seriously thinking of going natural.  My tentative plan is to let the gray grow out about an inch and then get a buzzcut to get rid of all the dyed hair.  Since my hair is currently past shoulder-length, I know that this will be a drastic change, but I think I can pull it off.  I’m just a little leery of all the remarks I’m sure to get as I will look a lot different.  Have any of you guys tried something like this and, if so, what kinds of reactions did you get?     

tooolgrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooolgrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2008 at 7:31am
Hi tarheelgal, I am 48, look younger than that thanks to good genes, and i was dying my base and getting highlights for years, after seeing how great Jamie Lee Curtis looks in gray hair, i decided to go for it, my hair was in a short bob, i told my stylist i wanted a short pixie cut and that i was going to stop dying it, the first cut there was still a lot of blonde left, the next cut i told her take it down to about a half inch, still a bit of blonde on the tips but the gray has grown in now, its about an inch and a half long, i love it so much!! i get more complements on my hair color now, its amazing how liberating going gray can be, i don't have to worry about my roots coming in and i absolutely love the color of my hair, i never thought i would but i am so happy i did it, good luck and keep posting!!  Sandra
tooolgrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooolgrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2008 at 7:36am
And Mammy, congratulations on the change, isn't it the most wonderful feeling??? I know it didn't make me look older, it is a radical change though, for the better, I did not want to be dying my hair blonde forever, all i did was obsess if my roots were visible, now i am happy to have it grow, but i like keeping mine in a pixieish crop cut, and my hair feels so incredibly healthy now, keep posting!!!  Sandra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarheelgal05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2008 at 4:42pm
Thanks, Sandra - that's just the sort of encouragement I need!  You are so right about the obsession over whether gray roots are visible.  I am just tired of worrying about it and am definitely tired of the inconvenience (and expense) involved with keeping my hair blonde, so I'm at the point now to where I just want it to be totally worry-free for a while.  I'm just a little nervous about taking the plunge - long blonde hair can be somewhat glamorous and I'll be going from that to a mostly gray buzzcut - yikes!   
tooolgrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooolgrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2008 at 6:07pm
I was terrified too, but I made the decision and I went and did it, I am so happy I did, it is so liberating, and I love the color of my hair, never again will I put bleach to it, and for those who don't like it I really don't care, I am not out to win beauty pageants, if I like it then its all that matters, and I absolutely love it!!! Good luck
Sandra, I will post some pics when I take some
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2008 at 4:59pm
Absolutely, do what you want.  It's your hair!  I'm another one who will never dye again.  The money I'm saving is going towards keeping fit with some left over for "good causes" such as sorting out my teenager's hair disasters.  She's still at the experimenting stage!
tooolgrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooolgrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2008 at 5:41am
I honestly didn't think I would like my hair brown and gray, but to tell you the truth I absolutely love it, and if it ages me, well I am 48 so, I am not trying to be 20 years old. I am happy with myself at this age and thats all that matters, I keep mine in a short pixie cut, which is wonderfully easy to maintain. Keep posting, wish more people would post here.

Sandra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarheelgal05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 2:52pm

Well, I did it!  After a couple of weeks of waffling back and forth, I finally decided to just take the plunge so I went Saturday morning and had it done.  I couldn’t believe how nervous I was (terrified is a good way to describe it, Sandra)!  My hairdresser was initially very surprised at what I wanted to do, but she really was quite supportive and totally agreed that I could pull off the look.  I had figured on having it buzzed to 1” all over, but that wasn’t short enough to get rid of all of the blonde so she had to go down to a # 6 guard on the clippers.  As much as I had thought about it, I still wasn’t fully prepared for how much different I looked – I hardly recognized myself!  I’m actually more gray than I had thought – it’s actually about 60/40 gray now, but it doesn’t seem to have an aging effect on me.  Since this was such a big change, I’m still getting used to it, but I’m warming to the idea of just keeping it buzzed – with the gray, it’s actually a pretty distinctive look.  Thanks for the support – it definitely helped!   

Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2008 at 5:17pm
Congratulations!  More people should do that.  Hairdressers should also be that supportive.  Mine wasn't.  I think she just wanted me to spend a fortune on dye every month.  She made some very negative comments which I was luckily strong enough to ignore.  I'm glad I did.  The odd thing about my hair is that it seems to have stayed at 40% white for a couple of years now.  I would actually prefer it to go all white.  By the way...I now go to a different hairdresser!
tooolgrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooolgrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 3:47am
Congratulations is right!! Good for you, when I first had mine cut she didn't get all the blonde, but my next cut I told her to go super short, and it was about 1/2 inch long. It sure turned heads, good and bad. I am happy you are happy with it, isn't that all that matters?? My boss just yesterday said to me "oh you colored your hair?". I said no, I stopped coloring my hair months ago, he replied, "well there is less brown" I said, then there is more gray, lol. He then told me it looked GOOD, and he is someone who made negative comments about how short I went, I think going natural is well, natural. I do not want to be a 60 year old woman with obviously dyed hair, and I know it would look that way on me, and to spend a ton at the beauty parlor, I have better things to spend my money on!! I wish more women would make the move, so many tell me they would love to, but are too afraid to. Isn't it liberating though??? Again, congratulations and enjoy!!

Sandra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarheelgal05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2008 at 4:39pm
Thanks, guys!  It really is liberating – that’s the perfect way to describe it.  I’m not only free from the constant dye jobs and touch ups, I’m free from having to do anything at all to fix my hair.  It’s literally just wash and go!  I’ve gotten a lot of positive feedback and more than a few shocked reactions (though I gave friends/family a heads up before I did it so everybody wouldn’t be surprised).  I’m sure there are some who wonder what in the world I was thinking, but I don’t care – I really like it and, as you said Sandra, that’s really all that counts.  I definitely think more women should do it, but I can understand why they don’t.  As happy as I am that I did it, I really struggled with the decision to go ahead with it.  In fact, I was shaking when I was in the chair about to get it cut.  Sugarloaf, you’re stronger than I am – if my hairdresser had been the least bit discouraging, I really don’t think I could have gone through with it.  Thanks again for your encouragement/support – stay in touch!          
baker46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baker46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2009 at 1:55pm
I know it's been a while since anyone posted on this topic, but just thought I'd see how everyone is doing with the cuts and growing out their gray. How about an update? Any pics to share?

I have been taking the "journey" to a natural me. It truly is liberating! I colored my hair for many, many years and decided about 5 months ago that I was done with all that. My hair was thinning and it looked flat and dull.  I didn't do the buzz cut but I wear my hair short so I have been getting an inch cut off every 5 weeks. It looks really good and I only have a couple more cuts and I will be "natural". My hair has grown back in where it was thinning.

Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2009 at 3:39pm
It's now about 4 years since I dyed my hair.  I will never dye it again.  The grey slowed right down and I have been about 40/60 white/brown for ages now.  It looks ok as the overall effect is light brown though the white really shines in daylight.  I would love it to be completely white.  I found the bob hard to manage so I went back to short layers.  I thought this would look very mannish, but it doesn't.  I've been keeping very fit and someone recently said I look years younger!

My hairdresser said my hair is in good condition.  She said the opposite to my teenage daughter who does too much to her hair.  Going natural is the answer!
ming View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2011 at 11:32am
How's everybody doing now? I'm halfway through the going natural thing...could do with some support!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic