Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Joe Buddens Off Def Jam.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jamaicakid85 View Drop Down
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaicakid85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joe Buddens Off Def Jam.
    Posted: October 10 2007 at 7:05am
By Houston Williams

Rapper Joe Budden is no longer signed to Def Jam Records after being heralded as one of its most promising acts in the early 2000’s.

The rapper said he was pleased to be leaving the label and looked forward to the next steps in his career.

"I'm just happy we were finally able to cut all ties. I feel like I have all the talent in the world, but for some reason was never able to showcase it there,” Budden told AllHipHop.com. “I'm looking forward to whatever God has in store for me, and Joe Budden fans should know - today is a beautiful day."

While Budden’s self-titled 2003 album sold over 500,000 copies, he never released another album on the label. He also scored a hit record with “Pump It Up,” which was used in an NBA Campaign. In 2005, Def jam held a listening session for Budden's second release, The Growth, but the album never materialized.

Even without a second album in the market, Budden stayed relevant by releasing several popular mixtapes via the internet and the streets, most notably Mood Muzik 1 & 2.

Def Jam president Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter recently told AllHipHop.com that he wasn’t exactly sure how to release Budden as an artist.

“If you just want to throw an album out there then next week, [fine]… [Then] you’re recording [songs] about how we didn’t support it. We could do that,” Jay-Z said. “We could do that tomorrow. I don’t think that what he wants. I don’t think that what he needs. Maybe…I don’t know.”

Urban legends and gossipers speculated that a 2003 lyrical sparring session might have led Jay-Z, who eventually became Def Jam’s president, to harbor resentment against the younger rapper.

When Joe Budden’s “Pump It Up,” began to gain popularity in 2003, Jay-Z recorded his own version of the song, which began to get significant radio play. Shortly, Budden recorded a verse and added it on to Jay-Z’s. In each’s verse, it seemed like they were sending subtle lyrical jabs at each other.

Jay-Z insisted that notion was completely false and backed up his statement with present examples.

“That [lyrical sparring match] had never influenced my decisions. You see Beanie has a record with R. Kelly (one of his adversaries). Juelz Santana has put and album out. I’m way too big of a person to [do that]. I would never block anyone’s blessing, because of anything personal. If I didn’t want to deal with him, there’s other people there,” Jay-Z said. “I mean, why do we have a problem, I freestyled on his record. He probably made his career off of freestyling over other people’s records. If I start freestyling over other people’s records…Lord forbid.”

Joe Budden has yet to reveal his next move, but the third installment of the Mood Muzik series has been highly anticipated, especially on the internet.

On another note it has been reported that Britney Spears sex tapes and other "very" personal items have been stolen!

Edited by jamaicakid85 - October 10 2007 at 7:06am

Waves(2001-Present)
Willie SKRILLA View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie SKRILLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 7:37am
Finally. Its not like he was ever gonna drop again.
You can't win with women. You just have to maintain."
- Wave Connection

Real Recognize Real
joecool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joecool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 3:20pm
I was hopin' he was going to drop sumthin after the pump it up single...
wave connection View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member
360 Wave Vet and HB All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wave connection Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 1:28pm
It's been reported that Joe Budden has been battling depression.

Edited by wave connection - October 23 2007 at 1:35pm
DUB-C
jamaicakid85 View Drop Down
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamaicakid85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 4:27pm
Yeah I think his depression was the motivation behind the Mood Muzik mixtapes.

Waves(2001-Present)
Elite Member
Elite Member
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie SKRILLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 4:35pm
No I believe it was the Angel Dust but maybe I'm being too real about this.
- Wave Connection

Real Recognize Real
wave connection View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member
360 Wave Vet and HB All-Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wave connection Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Willie SKRILLA Willie SKRILLA wrote:

No I believe it was the Angel Dust but maybe I'm being too real about this.

Where did you hear this?
DUB-C
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 1:27pm
@ Wave connection Yeah, I had not heard anything about the angel dust either.......

I can certainly believe that he is struggling with depression, artists often feel so tortured so deeply, and it has nothing to do with drugs, later on an artist may start trying to self medicate.......and we have multiple examples of this every where in Follywood aka Hollyweird, and throughout showbznz.....but the saddest affair is when someone like Kurt Cobain shoots himself takes his own life, to escape his demons, that no amount of any substance will ever stave, it gets deeper.

Edited by Anomis - October 25 2007 at 9:32pm
Elite Member
Elite Member
360 Vet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willie SKRILLA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 5:42pm
Joe's been a dust head since he first came out. Some of the best rappers are dust heads *cough*Nas*cough*. Its no big deal or whatever but I'm more apt to believe he was depressed from the drugs rather than an actual ailment of depression.
- Wave Connection

Real Recognize Real
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic