Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

William -Help Redquen EQ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Carolina7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolina7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: William -Help Redquen EQ
    Posted: October 11 2007 at 12:59pm
 William,

I hope you are out there.  You have been so helpful to other people and you have so much knowledge in hair color!
I have black hair and olive skin.  I am thinking of two options for my hair and would like to hear your advice. 1st- Keep it the way it is and have a Redken Shades colorist do black Onyx with a lot of shine.  2nd-Try to get a color like Jennifer Lopez, sort of brownish with highlights.  I have the same skin color as this celebrity and I am also Latina.  I think my husband is too scare that my hair would look so black that it would not look good.  I am not getting any younger either. . I am 38 and I started getting white hair around my bangs and sideburns.  I have about 10 white hairs in total, not very much. I used to have brown highlights and they are almost all gone.  My hair is neck length and I am letting it grow.   I have wavy hair by nature but is kind of thinning out.  I don't know if it is because I have cut off most of my color hair and is not as thick as it used to.  I feel that when I dry it I do not have as much body as I used to have back 1 month ago. I don't know if because of my age I should start considering a lighter color so that my facial expressions look softer.  The only thing is that I would have to keep going to the salon a lot more often since my black roots will start popping up. 
I hope you are able to give me your advice.  Many thanks -Carolina
Slipknothartgir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slipknothartgir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 1:20pm
I'd get highlights done.Maybe some carmel highlights would look good with your skin.I love carmel highlights on someone with olive skin.It would look good.If u did that onyx color, it would make u look older.Darker colors tend to make people look older.
Carolina7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolina7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 4:19pm
Thank you very much for your response.  Could I have the colorist use Redken EQ for the caramel highlights you are recommending.  Would you know how to go about doing this so that they do a good job.  I am guessing they should use a base dark brown first and then do the highlights?  Are you familiar with this kind of process?  If so, please give me all your recommendations!  -Carolina
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 7:22am
Sorry Carolina, it looks like William must not be here anymore.  I agree with the last poster though, olive skin with lighter brown hair is definitely popular right now (celebrities have it).  If by onyx black, you mean blue black, it is true that may not be as flattering on olive skin as a very dark brown black, or the lighter brown. 

If you feel you have lost a lot of your waves in as short as one month, there is a chance it could be silicone buildup (nothing else would act on it that fast, only products you are using).  If your shampoo and conditioner have a lot of ingredients that end in "cone" or "one", and you don't ever use a clarifying shampoo, you probably are getting some buildup which is weighing down your waves.  If you like the silicone conditioners (they do make hair soft), you may want to consider using a clarifying shampoo every 2 weeks to every month....however, if you are going to get it dyed, the clarifyer could strip out the tone of your dye, so you may not want to use it after dyeing.  You will have to try for a balance.  You will want your silicone because it makes your dyed hair feel so much better...its hard with dyed hair!

I would at least clarify once before you get it dyed, and try to use a no-silicone conditioner before getting it dyed (VO5 makes the cheapest ones, the rest of the "cone free"s are all organic and 7 bucks a bottle or more).  Sometimes cones can interfere with the dye if they are that thick.  Your hair will probably feel strawlike after using the clarifyer, you will need to condition really well afterwards, probably at least twice.

As for the salon, they should know what they are doing and do a good job, you can interview your stylist before you get in the chair and decide if you think they are knowledgable. 
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Carolina7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolina7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 8:50am
Susan- Thank you so much for your response.  I am taking both of your advice to heart.  I think you guys are right, I just did not wanted to bother having to light up my hair for the rest of my life.  However, I think I will be happy and my husband will be very happy (he likes the caramels and browns).  I already set up an appointment for the end of the month.  I picked a hair stylist that has gone through the Redken Shades school in NY city.  After reading all the things they have to do to take the test and become Redken Shades certified colorist, I figure I would not go wrong!  The Redken Shades website list the people by zipcode that have become certified.  I just have to let her know I changed my mind and I don't want to do the black.  Again, thank you for taking the time to write me back. Carolina
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2007 at 7:08am
Yeah, roots are a pain.  That's one reason I cut back on my dyeing.  You won't have to do roots the rest of your life though. When you get sick of it, your stylist can dye your hair to match your natural color.  Have fun!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic