Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Dye Burnt My Scalp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Dye Burnt My Scalp
    Posted: November 01 2007 at 8:04am
Hello.

At the moment my most pressing question is, can anyone recommend a good cream for a scalp that has been burnt by hair dye?

About two years ago I dyed my hair and I got a few small burns, annoying but nothing major. Then a month or two later I dyed it again and the burns got worse. I think it is the peroxide in the dye that is causing the burns.

I asked in a shop and they recommended that I use henna to dye my hair. Henna works, it doesn't burn my scalp and it looks great. But I have to leave it on for eight hours, while I look ridiculous, wear a cling film hat and feel like I am balancing a typewriter over my head.

Yesterday I was going to dye my hair again, but I didn't want to go through the eight hour henna thing, so I thought hey, it's been two years, my dye allergy has probably settled down.
I was just a little bit wrong about that.

So my questions are
Can anyone recommend a good scalp burn cream?
Can anyone recommend a good non-burning hair dye?
Is there any way to use henna that doesn't involve eight hours of goop?

Thanks in advance from me, my hair and my scalp - Sharon.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 1:20am
I dont know...how awful! Maybe try some aloe?

Clairol loving care is only dye I know without peroxide or ammonia.
It doesnt last very long though.
Natural instincts has no ammonia and LOW peroxide. It lasts a  bit longer,about a month.

Edited by julesyjul88 - November 02 2007 at 1:24am
zaxwrit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zaxwrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 6:40pm
Sounds like an allergy? You may need a demi color, no ammonia and low ph. 
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2007 at 8:11pm
I would only recommend semi colours, as you have had a reaction from the para dyes in permanent colours these are also present in demi colours too. You will always have this problem, sorry but his will not stop happening.

I would recommend you use calomine lotion for your scalp, a bit messy but will sooth the burning and stop the itch.

Karen
karen sanderson
zaxwrit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zaxwrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 6:51am
Originally posted by karen s karen s wrote:

I would only recommend semi colours, as you have had a reaction from the para dyes in permanent colours these are also present in demi colours too. You will always have this problem, sorry but his will not stop happening.

I would recommend you use calomine lotion for your scalp, a bit messy but will sooth the burning and stop the itch.

Karen

What are para dyes? Shocked
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 7:03am
Do you use BAQ henna?  There is much info on procedures for using it on this website, and unlike the hennas you get at your local shop, it has no metals in it that make it dull and fade, it is permanent.  BAQ is red only, and you acheive different colors by mixing herbs in it.  I mention this because this website says "two hours is generally sufficient, though many people keep it in longer".  http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/index.html

Yes, those are an allergy, not real burns per se.  If you want to stick to chemical dye, the only predicter you can really be sure of is to always do the allergy test on your arm 2 days before to make sure you aren't going to have a reaction to a certain product. 
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 9:52am
Para dye (PPD) Paraphenylenediamine is a chemical substance that is widely used in permanent hair dye.

Allergy to PPD can cause itchy scalp,blisters to scalp and swelling of the face and throat, and advice is needed from your doctor. Severe allergy to PPD can rarely cause anaphylaxis and medical treatment is needed straight away.

I hope this answer's your question zaxwritSmile
karen sanderson
zaxwrit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zaxwrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by karen s karen s wrote:

Para dye (PPD) Paraphenylenediamine is a chemical substance that is widely used in permanent hair dye.

Allergy to PPD can cause itchy scalp,blisters to scalp and swelling of the face and throat, and advice is needed from your doctor. Severe allergy to PPD can rarely cause anaphylaxis and medical treatment is needed straight away.

I hope this answer's your question zaxwritSmile

Ah! Yes it does, thank you very much Thumbs%20Up
Bead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 9:31pm
Hi guys.  It all came to pass just as you said Karen.

I noticed on Saturday that the oozing from the scalp was getting much worse and I couldn't get it to dry, the itching was driving me crazy. My son came into the room and pointed out that a lump had appeared under one eye. Then the other side of my face started to swell, then the neck and glands.

At 2:30 am I had to contact a doctor who told me it was excema and an allergic reaction to the hair dye. He prescribed pills for the itching, cream and lotion for the scalp.

Today the scalp has stopped oozing, the itch is no longer there, but I have to keep applying the cream for six days.

I've learned my lesson and won't be repeating this again. The scalp burn was bad enough, but once my face started to swell I started to panic.

Thank you Karen and everyone for your advice and time.

BAQ henna, I'll check that out.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 12:46am
That is terrible bead! If I was allergic to hairdye I'd be in big trouble...LOL.
Well,your hair will be healthier without it. I think Karen S. said you could still use semi's though. Dont blame you if you wouldnt want to take the chance though.
My daughter is severly allergic to poison sumac. She got it last year and had to be on STEROIDS for FOUR weeks. She had the same thing: huge lumps and lots of itching and swelling and oozing ( MUCH more then usual for a regular person who gets it.It was all over and her eyes were swollen shut)
Thank God for your Doctor. Oh,I'm so stupid I didnt even think to tell you to try Benedryl!
zaxwrit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zaxwrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 6:06am
Yikes bead that sounds awful Cry Glad you are ok. 
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 9:56am
Oh Bead,

I'm sorry to hear you are one of the unlucky one's to have an allergy to PPD in permanent hair colours. I bet it gave you a fright, and you did the right thing by seeing your doctor right away. I must stress it is very important to do a strand test before applying any permanent or demi or quasi colours. semi is ok as they do not contain PPD.

I am pleased you are ok bead and you will make a full recovery, just stay away from permanent and demi hair coloring products, as you will always have this reaction.

KarenSmile
karen sanderson
Bead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2007 at 7:54pm
Thanks everyone. Yes indeed, what a fright. The swelling in my face has mostly gone down except around my eyes, which will probably take another few days. The oozing has completely stopped and I was able to wash my hair today with a mild shampoo.

I'm still using the tables, cream and lotion and I feel almost like myself again.

Thank you all so much for your time.
Sharon.
Rfarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2012 at 7:05am
Natural Instincts vibrant burnt the heck out of my scalp...woulnd't reccomend that stuff! Got a free sample of John Frieda and it was great... its just that its so expensive.
Rfarr
kimadam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimadam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2012 at 6:13am
HOMEMADE HAIR COLOR BOOSTERThis organic hair color boosters are free from severe chemicals and they are also harmless to use at home. You can surely get ingredients at your best grocery store. All you want is 1/2 cup of powdered cocoa, 1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1 tsp of honey and 1 tsp of vinegar. Mix these ingredients with each other and then set aside.Shampoo your hair and then towel dry it. Simple the cocoa paste all over your hair, distributing it smoothly. Make sure that you cover a towel around your neck since the mixture can dirt your skin. Let it stay on for two to three minutes and then wash it off afterwards. The acids that are found in yogurt and vinegar will penetrate strong into the hair length which then permits the pigments in the cocoa to seep in. The honey is used to help keep your hair moisturized. This mixture will surely keep your blonde hair lively and energetic.

Edited by Administrator - June 27 2012 at 9:07am
HiNeebles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HiNeebles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 4:11pm
Oh, my goodness! You should really get to the bottom of what is causing your scalp to burn. It could be peroxide or bleach, or even a PPD allergy. You should definitely figure out what was causing it.

8 hours to process hair? That is ridiculous! Henna is NOT good, while on the Red Henna is the most natural, the other ones contain metallic salts and other ingredients that can damage hair long term. Not to mention, if you ever want to get you hair dyed with dye that is not henna you need Vodka to remove it. Yeah, it's that much of a pain on all fronts.

As I have recommended to other readers on here, I would seek out the help of an Organic Hair Colorist. Ammonia-free hair color like Organic Color Systems will absolutely give you the results you are looking for, without the burning or 8 hour process time. They have no harsh ingredients and actually makes hair healthier over time (if you aren't massively highlighting because then we are talking a lot of life). Also, before you dye your hair with anything, those burns need to heal!
Neebles
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic