Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Guy in need of desperate help!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tomtom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guy in need of desperate help!!
    Posted: November 05 2007 at 4:32pm
Hey all, basically i've had fine hair for a number of years. I have gone through some very stressful and traumatic times which i'm sure is partly responsible. If that is the case, shouldnt it be possible to revive my hair? I mean my parents don't have fine hair, nor do the rest of my family.

I'm only 20, i go out every weekend so i like to look my best. I really want to have nice hair.

Anyway, i was wondering if maybe someone could suggest good hairstyles/colour for guys like me, and if theres anything i can do to make my hair thicker. I am using patene volumising shampoo that is for fine hair, and i use conditioner after every wash.

I really will try anything, im only just growing it back after having shaved my head!!

(I was testing wax in this picture, i usually use putty but had ran out lol)

I want to have hair like this!!!

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2007 at 7:28am
Tomtom,
I am sorry but I think you will have a great deal of difficulty getting fine hair to stand up like that when it is that long.  It is easier to do that with shorter hair.  That said, sometimes dying your hair can help some as it roughens up the cuticle.  Generally some damage is good for adding body but you have to be very careful.

Products are a very individual thing.  In general, I have found that any volumizing shampoo is good.  Clarifying shampoos works for me as well and I rotate between them.  I have to wash my hair every day.  I also like Johathan Product Dirt, Kenra 25 hairspray, and some of the new glue products.  I am trying a Paul Mitchell one right now that is pretty good.  It literally comes in a glue bottle.  My hair is very short, about 3 inches at the longest, and I can make it stand about helf way up with those products.  Be careful when using conditioner.  It generally weighs my hair down too much, even those for fine hair.

Good luck.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Tomtom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2007 at 9:57am
Thanks for the reply, i know i could never have hair like that. It's just what my ideal hair would be lol.

I found another hairstyle i like which i think would look good once my hair is longer.

borne.blonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borne.blonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2007 at 7:01pm
Did you go to the doctor to make sure you don't have a Thyroid disorder or something? Or Maybe get an hair analysis test? the Hair Loss forum is a good place to learn things too.  I think shaved hair & fading is most attractive on thinning hair.  You may have a vitamin or some deficiency? A good master stylist/pro could determine the texture health of your hair and determine the products to help so that you don't stress your hair. Don't use fine tooth combs etc.  They could determine the texture & quality products (protein or fortifying), ceramides, or the other direction of softening etc. They can tell which  products that won't weigh, pull or overly stress it.

Edited by borne.blonde - November 25 2007 at 7:02pm
borne.blonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borne.blonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2007 at 10:46am
    Keracyte Scalp Conditioner Thickens Hair - Restores Natural Color

http://www.keracyte.com/

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/06-18-2007/0004610545&EDATE=

This sounds hopeful.
chrissy88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2007 at 6:18pm
Tomtom,

Your periods of stress can indeed cause periods of higher levels of hair fallout, but after that your hair growth should return to normal, as in after your shaved head experience.  What also might be affecting you is your higher level of male testosterone (main male hormone) given your age, which has as a byproduct of DHT (testo partially converts to this chemical), which is the main cause of male pattern baldness, and till then can result in increasingly thinning hair, especially on top, and a receding frontal hairline. 

A couple of related questions:
- Have you noted a thinning of hair especially on top, or a more than mild receding hairline? (some is normal)
- If not your parents do you have other male relatives which are bald or have very thinning hair?
- was your hair notable thicker just a few years ago?
- did your thinning seem to correlate to your body level of maturity? (as a sign of increased testo and related DHT?

If one or more of these questions is yes or an affirmative then perhaps you might be a good candidate for taking a DHT inhibitor, such as a product which contains Finasteride, or the more effective and recent type containing DUTASTERIDE. This latter one is marked under the brand name Avodart. 

For more information you can check out the site below, with the included subsections (internal links) already included, on this hair site:

Note that Propecia contains the earlier and single inhibitor type Finasteride, and Dutasteride contains two, and has a higher DHT percentage blockage.  Note that neither has any effect on one's testo levels, only that both act on one or both of the receptors at the base of each hair root so DHT can't tell them to shut down.  A little key summary from this last page: 

WHAT IS AVODART OR DUTASTERIDE?
"After 30 Dutasteride forums in HairSite and endless speculation for almost two years, Dutasteride is finally a reality under the brand name Avodart™ !

The FDA approval for NDA#21-319/s-001 was given on October 9, 2002 and the label was posted on the same day.

This is the biggest news in hair loss treatment since FDA's clearance for Propecia in December 1997. The interesting thing is that Avodart is NOT a hair loss drug !!

Avodart™ (Dutasteride) is approved for the treatment of
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH). Not to be mistakened with prostate cancer, BPH is a non-cancerous enlargement of the prostate glands. It is fairly common among older men aged 50 or above. BPH usually manifest in a variety of lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) such as urinary frequency, urgency, nighttime urination, decrease in urinary stream, incomplete emptying and incontinence etc.

Avodart is a synthetic 4-azasteroid compound. It is the first FDA approved medication that can inhibit both types of 5-alpha reductase (5AR), an enzyme that is commonly believed to responsible for the conversion of testosterone to 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT). It is widely suggested that DHT is the main androgen responsible for prostate growth as well as male pattern baldness. "///

Finasteride, and Dutasteride both can be obtained through a doctor, or directly off the internet, and taken in the appropriate dosages so quite often some pill splitting is done, and recommended which cuts down a lot on the cost, and is still highly effective.  But first do your homework on whichever and know that the effects to block DHT was in fact a side effect when the drug was developed to counter other types of medical concerns, mainly Prostrate overgrowth.  But that's just a hugely lucky find for those wanting to reduce or stop Male Pattern Baldness, or excessive thinning hair.  But taken early on is best as once past a certain point of deadness the hair root may not return to life.

Hope this info is helpful.  BTW, my brother is taking this, and is doing quite well on it, given my Dad was completely bald in the front to back on top!

Chrissy

To enter, endure and in time to accept one's destined transformation and fly into the heavens of life....is to be closer to the God that created you.
beachgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 10:56pm
Some of the volumizing shampoos can dry out your hair. Look for one that says it won't do that, ie. like Dove. You just need a drop or two of conditioner on the ends or it will go flat. On another note, make sure you take a daily vitamin and you might want to add Biotin (B vitamin family) to help your hair after all of that stress.
beachgirl
asmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2008 at 3:34pm
Try bumble and bumble's thickening products. get them at www.mybumbleandbumble.com

they carry the thickening spray and shampoo and conditioner. my boss uses it and it helps him increase thickness. http://www.mybumbleandbumble.com/buandbuthsh.html

if that doesnt work try the bumble and bumble Hair Powder. Its in a spray bottle and comes out as a 'liquid' powder that quickly covers up spots and creates an image of thick hair. they carry it in brown, black,red, white and vlonde. try it out in blonde!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic