Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair color or highlights help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
blueoceans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueoceans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair color or highlights help!
    Posted: November 12 2007 at 6:04pm
I have been getting highlights ansd have been VERY disappointed the last few times. My natural hair color is a dark brown and I get beige blonde highlights. i notivce when i get the highlights they dont get close enough to the root and have tried many sytylists lately. Probably they are afraid of color bleeding but it seemds like there is a half inch of roots and I put my hair up in middle a lot. I can see the dark roots. i am thinking about getting an allover blonde but i dont know how unnatural it will look and am afraid it will be too much maintenance and damaging to my hair? what shoudl i do? either my highlights are coming out too chunky amd uneven, too fine, or too brassy and I dont have all that money to keep fixing it every 2 weeks. Please give me advice ASAP thanks

Edited by blueoceans - November 12 2007 at 9:00pm
Julia74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julia74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2007 at 6:15pm
can you post a pic of your hair now and a pic of what you want it to look like? I go between getting my roots done and lowlighting all the time, can't decide which I like best. Ultimately, the lowlights/highlights combo is cheapest and low maintenance. Sounds you need to find a good colorist you can really trust, color is tricky. Good luck!
julia74

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueoceans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2007 at 9:13pm
hi i dont have a pic but would like it to look like carrie underwood sorta but possibly with lowlights. I am sick of the roots will allover xolor be better ot more upkeep?
Julia74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julia74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2007 at 9:29pm
lowlights/highlights  is much easier for upkeep, and more natural looking for skin tone match. All over color is much higher maintenance, and much worse for your hair. If you are wanting to grow out or keep it in good condition, I wold stick to the highlights/lowlights combo. I love her hair....nice choice :o)

julia74

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueoceans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2007 at 9:35pm
yes but carrie has light blonde hair already with blonde highlights. I am not getting the highlights done right and it looks very uneven on my hair what do i say tot he stylist that I want HEAVY highlights? and iot either comes out brassy or not enought depth to the highlights meaning they are only on top layer so when i put my hair up you dont see the highlights. How close should highlights be to the root?

Edited by blueoceans - November 12 2007 at 9:37pm
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2007 at 3:48am
I understand your unhappiness here. I really,and I mean seriously,hate the dark roots look on people.
However,I have to agree with Julia74,that going blonde all over,will be higher maintaince. You will have to color your roots at least every 4 weeks in order for it to not start looking shabby.When mine was blonde sometimes I colored every three weeks.But I just couldnt stand that dark line down my head.
Perhaps the stylist is using a bleach that is not meant to touch the scalp.You could try asking her about a High lift color instead,which can be applied to the scalp...or just ask her to use a bleach you can put closer to the scalp.
If the stylist isnt listening to you,seriously consider finding a new one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueoceans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2007 at 6:08pm
hi someone please answer- what do u mean a HIGH lift color? my stylist always suggest highlights but why do i see so many roots? I am very frustrated with the look of highlights as they look so blotchy and uneven snd some places they are starting close to the roots .I wanya nice beige blonde with just a few scarce dark chestnut lowlights and I dont think with highlights I can achieve this look.

Edited by blueoceans - November 13 2007 at 6:20pm
borne.blonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borne.blonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2007 at 9:36pm
A quick example of High Lift using Miss Clairol Swatch. Notice on the right you will see High Lift.  High Lift Colors use two parts 40 Vol Developer to one part clairol color.  Higher lift means higher lift / less color deposit. Manufacturers differ in the levels also.

http://www.clairolpro.com/dispensary/swatches/mc_swatches.html
http://creativestudio.mondosearch.com/cgi-bin/MsmGo.exe?grab_id=0&EXTRA_ARG=&CFGNAME=MssFind.cfg&host_id=42&page_id=266&query=High%20Lift&hiword=High%20Lift%20

You can see examples of lowlights or dimentional tones below
http://premiumcreme.com/techniques.php
http://www.clairolpro.com/main.jsp?nav=techniques/dimensional

Edited by borne.blonde - November 13 2007 at 9:43pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueoceans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2007 at 10:48pm
Hi i need info about HIGH COLOR lift used in the hair salon NOT AT HOMe thanks let me knwo what i need to tell the stylist. whats better highlights or all over hair color? would liek to know peoples experiences with both

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 1:24am
Just ask your stylist if a high lift color would be a better option for you since you dont like the look of the roots showing. Tell her you heard high lift colors can be used on the scalp and if that will reduce the appearance of the dark roots better then the bleach that cannot be used on the scalp.

***Oh yeah,and I have used high lift colors a lot when I had blonde hair. I had great exprience with it and felt it was less damaging then bleach.I also have pretty dark hair.

Edited by julesyjul88 - November 14 2007 at 1:29am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueoceans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 2:05am
ok but i dont wanta blonde on blonde look. I want my dark hair i guess because tghen wouldnt i jsut ahve blonde on blonde hair? is chunky haighlights better thna medium chunky? I have thick hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 5:34pm
I'm not sure what you're saying. It would not be blonde all over. Just closer to the root so you dont see that dark contrast.You could still have some of your dark hair blended in with the highlights.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueoceans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 6:22pm
Oh ok so i wouldnt need a blonde on blonde right. I could just get the highlights closer to the root but it dont seem like my stylist gets close enough to the root and I have been to several stylists. Would It be easier to go with an allover color?

Edited by blueoceans - November 14 2007 at 6:22pm
PerfectBrunette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 6:34pm
Hi Blueoceans,

I've just been reading your posts. I've read that highlights should be placed an inch away from teh scalp. I think this is because if you put them too close to the scalp, the warmth from the scalp will make them process unevenly. Also, bleach is toxic on the scalp. Hairdressers are not supposed to let the bleach touch your scalp because the chemicals can soak into your skin. Personally, I like the look of darker roots. Natural blondes always have darker roots because the sun hasn't had a chance to lighten the new growth yet. Perhaps, what you are not enjoying about this look is that there is too much contrast between teh dark roots and the highlights so it doesn't blend naturally? Perhaps a darker highlight shade that is in between the light blonde and your natural haircolor would blend this nicely as well as adding more depth to the look. In any case, I would have a good talk with your colorist or a consultation with another and explain what you don't like. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueoceans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 7:18pm
Hi thanks for the note. But I have heard that there is off the scalp bleach that you can get close to the root and Ive seen highlights done and its not an inch away from the scalp. Maybe youre right about too big of a contrast between the dark hair and the highlights but I want to knwo would an allover haircolor be really damaging and be a lot of maintenance? Please reply ASAP thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 7:42pm
I suppose you could ask your hairdresser to do the highlights a little closer to the scalp. I don't think it would hurt to move them up like half an inch. To answer your question, an all over color would be damaging, especially if you have long hair and especially if you want to get highlights put on top of the all over color. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 1:38am

There IS bleach that can be used on the scalp.I have seen others talk  about it on this forum many times.One over the counter bleach that can be used on the scalp is called SUPERBLONDE by Loreal. If it is sold over the counter,one can assume a stylist would have it as well,or at least know of one that could be used.

I have also had LONG blonde all over hair that was healthy for years.Even after I had highlights. If her hair is in decent shape,it shouldnt be a problem. Once blonde all over,she wouldnt need highlights,but LOWLIGHTS~which is not damaging at all because you are only DEPOSITING color.
However,it can be high maintaince. For one who doesnt like that "contrast" you will find you'll want your roots dyed every 4-6 weeks before it becomes too noticeable.Which is alot more often then highlights.

I think the going slightly darker with your highlights (getting LOWLIGHTS) is a good idea and may help with that Contrast you dont like.But if you want blonde all over,I'm sure you should be fine as long as your hair isnt really fried or anything.

Julia74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julia74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 5:22am
My colorist does on the scalp bleach and takes the roots up very light and with my hair being ash brown it takes it through several levels and she uses heat/under the dryer. Usually at the same time, she put several lowlights throughout, they don't get the bleach. They are coloring while the rest is lifting. Then she takes it all out, washed and tones in the shampoo bowl. The results are always fabulous but I am very clear in telling her what I want and she knows I am very particular about my hair, this is key. Plus, we have been together a while and she even gives me the 'special customer' discount. Therefore, I think it is definately worth it to build a good repoire with you stylist. Good luck on achieving your look!
Smile
julia74

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 4:06pm
I guess I was assuming you would get it lightened to a dark or medium blonde and then get light blonde highlights put in. Going lighter blonde and getting dark blonde or light brown highlights put in is another option I suppose.  If it were me, I'd just have your stylist use an on-the scalp bleach or move your highlights up closer to the scalp as overall lightening is a bit more damage than I personally like for my hair. Only you know what your current hair condition is like and what it can take though. (I'd also talk to my stylist about getting an intermediate color in there if more of a blended look is what you want)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueoceans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2007 at 12:13am
Hi and how long do your highlights last?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic