Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jessica Simpson Clip ins???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
*Annette* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Annette* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jessica Simpson Clip ins???
    Posted: November 24 2007 at 5:14am
Just watched the video and I am very tempted.

Has anyone used them? or what clip ins are available and very life like?

Does that make sense? I have laryngitis and it has mushed my brain up!

x
Annette xxx

www.2swim4life.com
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2007 at 5:59pm

Everyone who has been willing at HB.com has worn the HairDo clip-ins.  When they were first released last October Brigid and I were asked to test them for the company.  Both of us wore them and we tested the HH and synth versions. 

HB.com has spent the last year dealing with every possible customer question, comment, problem, praise, all of the above...for the product.  We were one of the first 8 companies to sell the line because hairdresser Ken Paves is a personal friend of mine (I also know Jessica) and asked me personally to support his line by carrying it at HB.  In the past we had turned down other vendors because we were unsure of the challenges of selling any type of hair add-on product. 

Before HairDo we did not sell any type of hair system so it has been a HUGE eye opener for us all but a great learning experience.

Brigid was so in love with the HairDo extensions (although she hated that she had to take them out every night) that she stepped up to the hard core stuff....aka...fusion.  She just had her 3rd fusion install with VIP hair last week.  Sorry.....I have photos but have been too busy with Christmas  to get them put up.

Brigid has admitted she is addicted to fusion and was starting to have major withdrawal when her Bella Donna were removed before the VIP was added.  She took a one week break, had her highlights updated and then was begging for the VIP.  I told her she is spoiled rotten at this point and she blames it all on the start with HairDo because before that point she had not worn any type of extensions (clip-in or otherwise).  She has also worn Jon Renau clip-ins (after HairDo).  Loved both brands although Renau is a little different in my opinion.

As a side note...Angie who works at HB has also worn the Jon Renau wigs, the Jessica Simpson Chignons and we had a guy wear the Jon Renau clip in highlight strands.  We are all about testing things before we sell them so we know what to expect.

I actually have worn the short HairDo to create a short bob on my long hair.  I liked it.  But it required me to pin curl my hair tightly up so that I could match the shorter texture. 

My natural hair is about 5 inches below my waist.  I keep it trimmed at that lenght.  As a result it takes LOTS of time to pin curl all my hair flat so that I can wear the shorter Bob style.  It is a pain but when I have time....it does give me a different look and convinces me why I hate my hair short.  And it is fun. 

Some HairDo clip-in Advantages......

Easy to learn to use the extensions, good first step towards more advanced DIY, no long term committment (you have to take them out before you sleep every night), you can go instantly longer or shorter.  They hold well with the clips even on fine hair if you backcomb the anchor point, there is only one piece (cap) to use vs the POP where you have more than one piece and have to stage the different strands.  Great way to add instant volume, change your look without cutting, haircolor or trip to salon.  Lots of color options.

Ken Paves was actually using this cap system for a few years before he created it for the mass market.  When he does celeb hair he often has to create multiple hairstyle looks in a matter of minutes and he created the cap so that he could style the hair in advance of the event and then just pop them off and on the celebs.  He used a cap system for Eva Longoria when she hosted an awards show and had 9 hairstyle changes in less than 2 hours.  He loved the flexibility so much he approached HairUWear to sell the line to the masses.  Jessica had been wearing the caps for awhile as well and loved it.

Disadvantages to Jessica Simpson HairDo.....

You have to take them out every night, it is best if you precurl or prestraighten your hair to match the desired HairDo extension texture for a better final look.  So it doesn't completely eliminate hairstyling EXCEPT in some situations where you go with your natural texture.  Not everyone can use HairDo as easily as others.  It does take practice.  Limited mixed color options.  Yes...I know I am contradicting myself but if you think about it....we experienced this problem.

HairDo Human Hair Advantages.....

You can cut, color, highlight (even bleach but I don't recommend that) and hot style (curl, iron).  You can even perm or relax (again..not sure I would do that).  They last through repeated use for up to 12 months (9-12 months depending on frequency of use, how they are cared for and amount of styling products applied). 

HairDo Human Hair Disadvantages.....

Much more expensive than synthetic versions.  Only last 9-12 months.

HairDo Synthetic Hair Disadvantages......

Can NOT cut, color, highlight, bleach.  Can NOT style with normal hot tools.  The texture is baked into the synthetic versions.  You CAN alter the texture but it is tricky and requires a stove and constant monitoring.  Don't recommend the texture changing on synthetic for novices.

Overall HairDo is a great testing ground for anyone wanting to experiment.  I always recommend synthetic as the first step.  Although opinions vary (some people love synth and others think they are crappy) the cost is much less than the Human Hair and although they don't look like real hair, the quality if better than a lot of other synth pieces we have tested and rejected.

If you like the synth you can then step up to Human hair OR you can do like Brigid and jump to fusion or Angie and jump to tape. 

There are a lot of competitive brands on the market and some are done very well and give HairDo a run for their money and others are not so good.  Been hearing horror stories about the Hannah Montana brand but you get what you pay for and these are less than $20.

As a side note....Jessica Simpson actually wears both the HairDo synth and HH versions as does Eva Longoria and several of Ken Paves' "girls".  For red carpet they tend to wear HH but I have seen Jessica with synth HairDo on a number of occasions.

There is tons more I could say on this topic but I don't want to blather on and bore everyone so I am happy to answer any additional questions here or you can always email me at shelton@hairboutique.com if you prefer to take this offline.

Hope it helps.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2007 at 1:38am
Wow thankyou so much! I, too, have been contemplating HairDo. I've never worn any kind of extension before, but I'm interested in buying clip-ins. I wanted human hair so I could curl/straighten and just for the general look of human hair as opposed to synthetic hair. I don't want synthetic hair, but I don't want to spend $550 on something that's only going to last 9-12 months.\

Sigh.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2007 at 5:06am
These are a bit cheaper,but they are more pieces to put in.I've been considering them too.Extensions can seems so confusing when you have no clue,LOL.(which I dont)

They are human hair too.

***Edited because I just saw a thread about someone saying they ordered from this site and havent heard anything after two weeks.Probably not a good idea to use them until we know what's going on I guess.The other thread was called wickedhair.

Edited by julesyjul88 - November 29 2007 at 5:12am
NY Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NY Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2007 at 9:23am
I want those same ones julesyjul88.  I'm hoping the owners respond soon!

ETA - thanks for  the info on the Jessica clip-ins

Edited by NY Girl - November 30 2007 at 9:24am
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2007 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Ally<3 Ally<3 wrote:

Wow thankyou so much! I, too, have been contemplating HairDo. I've never worn any kind of extension before, but I'm interested in buying clip-ins. I wanted human hair so I could curl/straighten and just for the general look of human hair as opposed to synthetic hair. I don't want synthetic hair, but I don't want to spend $550 on something that's only going to last 9-12 months.\

Sigh.

Here's the deal.....human hair extensions when applied with fusion can usually last up to 12 weeks.  Brigid of HairBoutique.com is on her 3rd set.  The last install was Bella Donna hair and it lasted close to 10 weeks but she felt that they were getting a little rough AND her highlights had grown out and she wanted them refreshed.  Billy tried to refresh her highlights with the extensions in BUT they didn't work.  So she had Bella Donna taken out and is now wearing human hair from HB.com.

When fusion is done correctly it can last up to 12 weeks (depending on how fast your natural hair grows).  The current hair that Brigid is wearing was hand picked by me and it is very high quality.  We are hoping not only to stretch her use to 12 weeks but to also reuse it by trimming the ends and rebonding it ourselves. 

When it comes to clip-ins, they offer the first step to learning about how you feel in any type of add-on hair.  The reason that HairDo is so popular is because they are manufactured by a company that is Gold Standard - HairUWear and has been in the add-on hair world for many many years.

Also, the Jessica Simpson pieces are built upon a cap system which means a lot easier install than the individual pieces.  Yes, it is probably one of the most expensive but we have been selling HairDo for one year now and are very impressed by the quality and consistency of the HairUWear company.  They stand behind their product...not all companies do. 

As a e-tailer who has been in business for 10 years, we have been burned by many vendors that do not stand behind their products.  Therefore we are always very cautious which lines we carry at HB.com.

Don't get me wrong...we also carry competitors to HairUWear including Jon Renau but we have found that for the beginner, the Jessica Simpson clip-in is easy to learn to use and gives a good first step at wearing hair.

One other thing we are seeing happen, human hair is going up quickly in price so that factors into what companies are charging for human hair.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Karen Shelton - November 30 2007 at 9:45am
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2007 at 11:38am
The clip ins from wicked hair and the Hairdo line are two separate things. The clip ins on the wicked hair site is a generic set at this point. You can easily make them yourself AND make them to fit your own head perfectly. If you're not ready to make your own then yes, these are great and I'm seeing these clip in sets everywhere now, ie: Sally's, and even in the mall at those little kiosks.

The Hairdo line is the nicer of the two if you ask me. It's already assembled in a way that will blend well with your own hair. Most likely you won't have to cut and layer it like you would if you bought a generic clip in set.

IMO synthetic hair is not there yet. I really hope one day synthetic hair will be a reliable option but for now human hair seems to be the easiest to maintain. $550 for it to last a year is more than reasonable. People pay $1500 plus every four months to get hairlocs, great lengths, socap, etc. If I had to guess, the hairdo line will last more than 12 months if you are careful with the hair.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic