Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need new cut - myriad of complications

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BabyHairBigGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyHairBigGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need new cut - myriad of complications
    Posted: December 11 2007 at 10:09pm
So I have had long, long, long hair for most of my life.  I like the color very much, so i'm not interested in dying it - it's chocolate brown and is super-shiny.  my problem is that it is baby fine (seriously, my 3 month old niece has thicker hair than me), will NOT take a curl (had a perm when i was 7- left in three days).  FUrther, I am blessed with a short thick neck and round face (with prominent chin that I rather like) other than these probs, i don't have any major issues, nose is proportional and eyes are large.  It's just the....babiness of my face and hair that bugs.

I cannot find any information that tells me what to do with my hair!  Some say a bob is the WORST others say it's ideal. Some say long hair is slimming, but my hair is getting wispy at this length and is too flat.

What I want is a cut that is shorter than I've got now (lower-back), flattering to my curvy-heavier, 5'4'' figure and slimming for my rounded face.  Is there such a cut?  Anyone got any pictures to work with? 

The only info I can find that agrees on all points is swept-aside bangs, which I have.  I desperately want a new cut - if you need to see a pic, let me know and i can send one for opinions
thanks

Edited by BabyHairBigGirl - December 11 2007 at 10:09pm
beachgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2008 at 10:51pm
Don't do anything drastic. Try something just below the shoulders with a very small amount of layering along the bottom. I think that is a good place to start and it will give you lots of lift.
beachgirl
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2008 at 5:59pm
Try wearing your hair up?  Long hair gives you lots of options for updos, even fine hair looks great in updos.
ellenlawlor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellenlawlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 1:07pm

It is very important for you to find a hairdresser that know how deal with fine hair. The keys are texture, texture, and texture. Don't get your hair cut all one length. And long hair actually weighs fine hair down, making it look even flatter and straighter. 

Even though you say you don't want color, certain color techniques can add a depth and enhance the shape of a cut. I've recently written a breif article for other hairdressers on this on my website. It will give you some information to use when talking to your hairdresser (or at least a litmus test for judging whether or not they understand your problem.)

Good luck, and let me know how it goes.
Come visit me at http://ellenlawlor.com
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 5:38pm
Layered hair can make hair look thinner even and there are ways to voluminise fine hair and I think it is better longer rather than shorter and one length is easier to handle.  Fine hair will still be flat and straight if it is short.  Believe me I've tried both and long you can braid it and bun it and pleat it and give the impression of thick hair.

How about a long pageboy?  Not too drastic and would give you lots of updo options.

Bobs worked on my hair but since I don't like hairdressers I couldn't be bothered to maintain it.  I had a shoulder length bob for some time.

A nice pageboy could look good.

On keep the length and have a trim if you are not happy with the ends and just experiment with updos. 

I would never resort to colouring the hair chemically.  That is too damaging.  Some people swear by henna which is supposed to coat the hair and give it the appearance of extra thickness.

Edited by Seraphina - January 24 2008 at 5:41pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellenlawlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Seraphina Seraphina wrote:

since I don't like hairdressers

Ah, this explains your critique of my post. Smile

But, since you mentioned that you don't like to be bothered maintaining a haircut (I'm assuming you don't want to put product in your hair and blowdry), then I can see why some of my suggestions wouldn't work for you.

The bottom line is that a good hairdresser will get to know what suits their client, both on their head and in their lifestyle, and help design the right cut and style for you. If your hairdresser doesn't try to find out a bit about who you are, then they can't really give you something that will work for you, and you should probably look elsewhere for help.

For very fine hair, there are limits to what you can do if you don't want to add product and maintain your style. But, certainly, there are still options. As you mentioned, wearing your hair up is a good one. Loose is the key. Any tightly pulled hair will probably leave some of your scalp showing through.

Good luck!Big%20smile
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 5:03pm

Didn't mean to offend you.  But it seems like all hairdressers just want to chop off hair and that gets to me at times.  Even if someone has lovely thick long hair they want to cut.  Personally I don't like layers, they are difficult to grow out and take a lot of maintaining.  I suppose you have to be sitting on my side of the fence to go through what I and my mother have gone through.  Hairdressers who look at you in disgust that your hair is so fine.  Hey, we would all choose to have thick hair if we could.

It is bad for any type of hair to be pulled back too tightly, that could cause hair loss. 

I am hoping that the original poster on this topic has solved her dilemma now. 

Hair takes such a terribly long time to grow back if you are unhappy with the cut.

I have to be able to do my hair in five minutes or less, if I take longer then I am not a happy cookie and it means I am having a bad hair day!  Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellenlawlor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 7:26pm
No offense was taken at all.

I teach hairdressers and I know exactly why clients get very frustrated with some of them. Too many times a stylist or colorist forgets that they are they to serve the client, and not the other way around. It gets especially bad when the hair stylist gets an ego, and thinks they know better than the client.

I hope you have found someone that listens to you, and understands you. It can make all the difference, and turn a trip to the salon into a very rewarding experience, rather than a dreaded one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic