Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Feria Hair Color, Get Out!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
PerfectBrunette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2008 at 3:15pm
I just found this on the hair color bulletin boards at behindthechair.com:

"Metallic dyes are colors (grecian formula is a good example) which use metallic salts to deposit pigment. The best way to tell if a color is metallic is by checking the package if you can. Look at the ingredients. The most often used metal is copper. This is what grecian formula uses and it sometimes gives the color an unpleasant, greenish undertone in the light. These salts bond permanently to the hair shaft and cannot be removed. NO ammonia-based product can ever be used over metallic color. The result will be smoke, and burned/melted hair. I've seen this happen, so i know it's true. This means no perms, no professional color, and no bleach. I generally would say no chemical processes at all until all of the metallic color has been cut out of the hair. And as usual, better safe than sorry, so if you have any doubts about the color, don't proceed with the service, or at the very least, obtain an iron-clad release form. If you want a good example of a release form, e-mail me and i'll send you a copy of mine."

So I guess bleach is out as an option as well. Sorry about your luck. This should serve as a warning for the rest of us to avoid Feria in the future though.
PerfectBrunette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PerfectBrunette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2008 at 2:51pm
Feria uses a metallic dye that is hard to get out. This dye can react with normal hair dye which is oxidative. I've been searching on the web to see if Color Oops color stripper can be used for metallic dyes but read on their website that it can only be used for oxidative dyes, not direct dyes. Feria advertises that they use "chromatic direct dye technology" confirming that they are in fact a direct dye.

I found this interesting page on hair color removal:

http://www.style-hair-magazine.com/hair-color-removal.html

What struck me the most was that bleach lifts natural pigment faster than artificial pigment. If you have a build up of artificial pigment on the ends, that would explain why the bleach didn't take as fast on them. Wish I could help more.
cjkim76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjkim76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2008 at 1:07pm
I have dark brown hair, and used to dye my hair jet black using Feria.  I would like to get it lightened up now to go caramel with blond highlights, and my stylist says that Feria is absolutely impossible to get out. 

I went to a colorist where I live now (east coast) and she didn't do a strand test or anything and just put bleach in my hair.  Even after I told her that I used Feria.  Of course the roots of my hair lifted in color, but the bottom of my hair didn't budge in color.  She said I had to come back because it would take much more time than I was originally booked for.  Then she called me today to say I had to cancel the appt because after consulting w/ her boss, she can't do anything with my hair except for dying back to it's original color. 

In the past (when I wanted to go blond from Jet Black) my old hair colorist scolded me for using Feria, but she was able to get it out w/o totally damaging my hair.  I'm perplexed why this colorist says that she can't get it out. 

Can I get any feedback regarding Feria?  Is it really that impossible?  Or does my colorist just not want to do it because it'll take forever?  I would hate to think that...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic