Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mushy hair? What's up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mushy hair? What's up?
    Posted: January 15 2008 at 8:08pm
As most of you know I was on the quest to be a plantium blonde, with hardly any true sucess. I know excessive bleaching can cause your hair to get mushy, but what the hell is up with mine? The other day I washed it, it felt funny and then I noticed near the back and somewhat under the top little layer my hair is mushy, like I actually bleached it too much, however, I've only bleached the ends maybe once or twice, because most of my hair was chopped off... I dunno whats' up? Is there some kind explanation for that? I only bleach my re-growth never my pre-lightened hair... so whats up? I doubt the coloring has anything to do with it. I have to brush it dry, cause I'm scared of wrecking it....

Is there something I can use to help that?

~* Bambi Lee *~
michellelee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michellelee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2008 at 9:19pm
I have no answer to this but i have to say that in your hair hair journey i thought the pics you posted back in oct were beautiful .you were having some issues with the stripe then i know but it looked good and so natural .I wish i knew what would help you but with all these smart gals on here i'm sure you won't wait long .Poor bambi (sniff)
Be the person your dog thinks you are
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2008 at 10:13pm
mushy usually implies too much bleach...Is it possible that you accidently bleached that area more than you thought?  Bleach has a tendency to swell, which makes it overlap--even when you don't think you overlapped the bleach.  There's not a lot you can do but wait and try not to brush it when it's wet.  Hope this helps.

Rebekah
Check out My Hobby Shop!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5372710
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 11:46am
I really don't think I bleached it.... but if that really is the only explanation then it has to be. Sucks. I need a haircut so bad andmy roots are showing and I tried to put lowlights in the other day (to help mask them a bit,) but that ended in a disaster cause my son was screaming his head off at me, so I had to stop the process,and I am not lifting my roots till I know if I'm pregnant or not..... argh. My hair is just not happy right now. Hahaha...

Why would it suddenly get mushy? My hair was wonderful about a week ago, never had a problem and I haven't bleached it for about.... 2 or more weeks....
~* Bambi Lee *~
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 9:46pm
It takes a week or so before you can really tell there's damage.  Congrats if you are pregnant! 
Rebekah
Check out My Hobby Shop!
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 3:51pm
could pregnancy cause my hair to go haywire? when i was pregnant with my son my hair got thick and soft and afterwards it was even better... I dunno I noticed how dry it feels all of sudden and I didn't do anything.

I hope I am, thanks Rebekah....
~* Bambi Lee *~
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 7:34pm
Not to get off topic but how old is your son now?
Check out My Hobby Shop!
Ally<3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally<3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 11:58pm
Aw Bambilee I hope you are too. I'm so happy for you!
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2008 at 1:56am

Being pregnant can change your hair,but I think it's different for everybody. Like,mine got darker and more oily...(my roots needed to be dyed every two weeks it grew so fast)

Maybe some protein treatments will help.Are you really sure it's mushy.If it was you probably wouldnt even be able to brush/comb through it without it breaking off or feeling all tangly.
When will you know if you are pregnant or not?
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2008 at 3:20pm
Well I'm not pregnant, but we are trying, so maybe next month! haha...

my hair is mushy, it tangles in a certian spot very easily when wet and it feels mushy in my fingers and if I do comb it,it'll just break off.... whats a good protein treatmeant?

I've had mushy hair before I just didn't see why it would happen now... i've bleached my hair like 10 times previously (before I cut it off) and it only got mushy then... i maybe did it twice this time round.

I' looked at some protien treatmeants at sephora (since i'm going there tomorrow) can you recommend any to me from there?
~* Bambi Lee *~
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2008 at 3:21pm
Oh my son is 15 months... he was born theday before halloween!
I didn't dye my hair with him, but I am going to this tiem round cause i can't stand not liking my hair for 9 months. hahaha......
~* Bambi Lee *~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2008 at 3:39pm
Any protein treatment is good. I use protein filler whenever my hair feels unhealthy and it makes it stronger.
Oh yeah,you should also try Nexxus Emergencee. That stuff is great for damaged hair!

I dyed my hair when I was pregnant too.I dont know why some people say not to.Although I tried not to inhale the fumes,LOL.
Have fun getting pregnant! Wink
borne.blonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borne.blonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2008 at 11:05am
I think when you comb your hair while it is wet...maybe have conditioner in it or detangler and be extremely gentle with it... then maybe wrap gently in a light towel for a few minutes not squeezing it nor twirling it... and that is it NO TOUCHING after just let it natural dry and when you do conditioning treatments maybe put a cap on to keep heat in... But do not brush wet hair if possible (I have the copper brush out & I admit after I comb gently I use it once) also when you do brush hold the hair close to where you are brushing/combing so as not to tug it too much. 

One time I was so afraid to comb my hair because my hair felt like Elastic!!!! This was after a perm & I had to be extremely gentle.

If you lighten your roots be sure to GLOP ON TONS of conditioner on your ends  so nothing else gets onto them & maybe use cotton in between the layers to keep em seperated.

I did experments on swatches of my hair. One time I left some in a tiny bowl over an extended period & it turned into that stretchy elastic you can put beads on LOL!!!  pretty scary. 

Maybe you can talk to the killerstrands lady because I have read too much protein can cause it to break too...

Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 11:07am

thank you borne blonde for the conditoner suggestion. What you described as elastic is totally right. I KNOW my hair isn't going to fall off or break off in clups... I've had it worse.

Im going to try that conditioner thing and cotton swabs. I hate roots. I just did them and didn't have any color to color my hair so I've been applying toning conditoner to them, but it caught onto the ends a bit and they look a bit grey...but my roots aren't as orange anymore. I'm actually going to go a bit darker underneath my hair so I don't have to lift those roots as much and keep the top light.... just to make less work for me. Hahaha... I think it'll look good. Maybe go a little darker and then darker and then darker..... I see a transexual on tyra will hair like that it looked cool. Light blond eon top and it got darker and darker and when he/she curled it they blended, it was nice.... of course she/he's was extensions.

ANywhoo thanks for all the help. I don't know what I would do without you guys!

~* Bambi Lee *~
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2008 at 11:10am
Research is incunclusive about dying when pregnant, they pretty much say no in general to be safe. But i remember hating my hair so much when I was pregnant with warren (my son) that I really can't bare to do it again.... I would have enjoyed my pregnancy more I think if I liked my hair.... I was pretty gosh darn cute when I was pregnant I could have worked it...hahahahah.
~* Bambi Lee *~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 12:49am
At least hair grows like crazy when pregnant.I'd get pregnant again just for that fact...LOL,just kidding.
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 10:36pm
haha and your right it does, hopefully my hair will this time round. Yay for long hair!
~* Bambi Lee *~
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 1:13pm
It's not mush anymore...it musta broke off. I dunno whats up!!
~* Bambi Lee *~
groberts80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote groberts80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2008 at 12:55am
I have naturally curly hair and with my first pregnancy it got even curlier, beautiful spirals and twirls, then after I delivered it went crazy like you are describing but then just seemed to disappeared(mushiness) a few weeks later, but there for awhile it was really unmanagable and annoying. Now in my second pregnancy with my second son , its weird but it seems my hair is now getting a little straighter, its still curly but not as much as it was before. Weird how pregnancy affects our hair huh?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic