Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi im a newbie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
yayitsvivi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yayitsvivi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi im a newbie
    Posted: February 03 2008 at 8:33pm
I recently got a nice pixie cut , but I need help styling it .What type of styling gel can I use to give it that shiny  wet look ?
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 10:02pm
Looks great in your avatar.  I would think that your stylist could help you with this one, but I think it looks great.
HAWG

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yayitsvivi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 10:28pm
Thanks Hawg :)

My hair is naturally dry & coarse. My stylist said I could use any styling gel. I was hoping someone would be able to recommend a good one?

Edited by yayitsvivi - February 03 2008 at 10:29pm
GC2599 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GC2599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2008 at 3:30am
wow looks great. how long was it before? depends on how much you want to spend.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yayitsvivi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2008 at 11:36am

Thanks GC2599 .

It wasn't too long ,not even shoulder length .Money is not an issue as long as the product truly works .

conrad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2008 at 1:33pm
Your pick looks great, congrats on the cut!  I would imagine that I would just sample a few.  It all depends on what you are looking for in the product.  Some are better on hold but make your hair feel "crunchy" others dont do as well, but dont make your hair feel so straw like.  I would ask your stylist what would work "best" for your hair.  Sorry for the vague answer, but the stylist may know a good product considering all of your hairs temperment and condition.

Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yayitsvivi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2008 at 7:24pm

Thanks!!

I would ask your stylist what would work "best" for your hair.

That's why I posted my question here in the first place; I asked my stylist but he just said I could use any styling gel. :(

I would imagine that I would just sample a few.  It all depends on what you are looking for in the product.

I guess I'll go with this route then. I just thought that since my hair is dry & coarse, I would need a specific type.

Thanks for your reply conrad. :)

conrad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 8:32am
I wish i could be more help.  I have shorter hair myself, 5/8 on sides an back and 3/4 on top.  I use Studio glue, its kinda hard to find in my neck of the woods, i dont know if they have discontinued it or not!  It works very well, but gives you a crunchy feeling in your hair.  It may or may not dry out your hair, i dont have dry hair, so i cant tell you the effects.

Good luck, and if you find one that you really like, please let us know, i am always trying out new stuff on a wim.

Thanks!

P.S. what made you decided to get the pixie cut?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yayitsvivi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2008 at 7:19pm
I wish i could be more help.  I have shorter hair myself, 5/8 on sides an back and 3/4 on top.  I use Studio glue, its kinda hard to find in my neck of the woods, i dont know if they have discontinued it or not!  It works very well, but gives you a crunchy feeling in your hair.  It may or may not dry out your hair, i dont have dry hair, so i cant tell you the effects.

Hi, Conrad! Right now I'm using the American Crew Pomade, for hold & shine. It seems to work & it's very inexpensive. Before I bought this one, I tried the L.A. LOOKS but I didn't like how it left my hair crunchy. :(

P.S. what made you decided to get the pixie cut?

I decided to get a pixie cut because for over a year, I was bleaching my hair (I was a platinum blonde) & it pretty much got damaged. My hair dresser recommened me to chop it all off. I then decided how short I wanted it, & that's how I got a pixie cut. :)

Edited by yayitsvivi - February 06 2008 at 7:20pm
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2008 at 8:23pm
I still think it looks awesome!  Hope you find something you like and keep the pixie for awhile.  Stay away from the bleach girl; the color in your avatar is great.
HAWG

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yayitsvivi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2008 at 8:43pm
This one will do for now, & I'm planning to keep this pixie cut for a while. I missed short hair.

Stay away from the bleach girl; the color in your avatar is great.

Definitely~ And thanks!! :)

Thanks for all your help guys.

Edited by yayitsvivi - February 16 2008 at 11:58am
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2008 at 9:57pm
You definitely have been going in the right direction with your hair; your current pixie is you girl.  You can still do all kinds of different things when it is this short; sweep the bangs to the side, tuck the sides behind your ears, go smooth, go messy; just have fun like you look like you can.
HAWG
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2008 at 5:07am
A little chameleon aren't you.  I agree with Hawg, going the right direction.
conrad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2008 at 8:49am
Ive used the American Crew Pomade, it works pretty good and doesnt leave the crunchy feeling or the super shiny look.  I switched to the Studio Mega Glue (i looked at its name last night) when i got a really short cut 1/2 on top and 5/16 on side and back.  I really could not get it to do anything, so i tried the glue and it worked really good.
laurie82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurie82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2008 at 10:27pm
I really like your haircut. I am considering getting something very similar. My hair length is currently just below my shoulder (one length).  I am a little nervous about the reaction from my friends. My boyfriend won't be a problem, he is actually encouraging me to do it. But I was wondering if you got much of reaction from your friend or co workers. Was it difficult to find the right stylist?  I am also curious how you had it cut in the back, is it down to the collar or shorter? Do you have to go back often for to keep it trimmed? Sorry for all the questions, but I have never had short hair before.

Edited by laurie82 - February 18 2008 at 7:41am
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 12:24pm
Laurie, don't worry about what others think or say; do this for you.  If you don't think your current hairstylist can handle the task, find a haircut you like on someone else and ask them where they have their hair done.  Short hair needs frequent trims to keep its shape; at least every six weeks.  Have fun with this adventure and let us all know how it turns out.
HAWG
laurie82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurie82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 1:52pm
Thanks for the encouragement.  I have talked to a few of my friends about it and they are encouraging me to go for it as has my boyfriend.  I am looking for a style that is professional and very low maintenance.  I literally want to be able to towel dry it in the morning and then brush it to the side and be done with it.  One of my friends who has short hair says you need to be careful picking the style as it can actually be more work than long hair.  So I am leaning towards a really short side parted style, although I am not sure exactly how short yet. I am thinking about having it at least above the ear lobes, maybe higher and a bit above the collar with lots of layers. Right now it is the shortest it has ever been, it is just below the shoulders (one length), so I am a little nervous about taking the plunge. My boyfriend and I are going away on vacation early next month and I am planning to have it done before we leave.

HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 2:56pm
Sounds like you have a plan and it sounds like a good one.  You are correct, some short styles can be more work; it's best to consult with someone adept at cutting short styles; let them see your hair after you've fixed it and examine the texture and such.  Good luck and have fun on your vacation.
HAWG
Heratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 12:53am
Laurie82 - good luck with going short.  It may be worth considering having the sides cut completely around the ears.  Leaving an odd inch partially covering them may result in it being more difficult to manage as these sections may develop a life of their own and stick out at inconvenient times thereby spoiling your enjoyment of short hair.  Just a thought.
Its your hair, your choice and your decision
laurie82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurie82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 8:36pm
I have been thinking quite a bit on what would be the best cut for me and I have considered having it cut around my ears and buzzed a little in the back, but I am not sure I am ready for that quite yet. So for now my hair is just hanging here, until I decide what to do with it. One way or the other it is going to be much shorter than it is now.  I am hoping to get it cut this weekend, one of my coworkers recommended a stylist and I am going to make an appointment in the morning.  He is quite pricey, so I am not sure he will be my regular person for trims etc, but I think I'll have him do the first haircut.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic