Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

long hair perms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lynn M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: long hair perms
    Posted: February 24 2008 at 12:23pm
Hi
I'm new to this site, joined because of the frustration with my hair.
Couldn't figure out where to do the introduction, but I'll combine it here.
My name is Lynn, am an herbalist and mother of 5 grown kids.
The only non natural thing I do is get my hair permed.
I have long hair, still has it's natural colors, not much grey yet.
I perm it because I love the look of the fullness and curls that I would get with my first 2 perms.
The problem is with the perms since then. The same person gave me a 3rd perm, did everything the same, but didn't achieve that fullness, only the curl. My hair length was the same.
I went to another excellent salon and the perm didn't take. They said it was because I have minerals in my well water.
I'm using the same water as I did with the first 2 perms that came out great.
This salon repeated the perm the same day after washing my hair with a product that was to get the minerals out. That perm came out flat but curly.
I am trying to find out why I cannot get a full perm since the first 2 that I had. Every perm now comes out flat, but curly. It's the fullness that made it easy to take care of and look great.
Lynn
Lynn
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2008 at 8:09am
I don't perm my hair anymore, so what I say is largely guessing.  Is it possible that since your hair is long, getting 3 perms over the same length (that would not have had time to grow out all the way yet) could be damaging your hair much more?  Perms cause some hair loss (such that about a week or 2 after one, I could always feel short hairs growing in on my scalp to replace ones I lost during the chemical process). 

Maybe your hair is not as thick because when its long it takes a long time to grow back in?  It took me 2 years to get my hair to grow from chin length to bra strap length, so depending on how long yours is, and how frequently you permed it, it could take a long time.

These are my only 2 guesses.  As for minerals in your water, using a dilute vinegar rinse as a last rinse after you wash and condition will get rid of those.  I use about 1 tablespoon vinegar in 1 cup water, and I use it each time I shower (the smell evaporates quickly as it dries).  I do not know what this would do to your perm though.  I think it probably wouldn't hurt it, but you may want to find out, or try it for a month on a small piece of hair (test strand) to make sure you don't get any bad effects (meaning your curl doesn't come out...it won't damage your hair).

Though I agree with you, if the minerals didn't effect it the first time, I don't see why they would now, unless the first salon was clarifying your hair with a shampoo or rinse before they permed it to get rid of them and didn't mention it.  I'm more inclined to guess that it has to be a change in your hair after being permed twice.

Edited by Susan W - February 25 2008 at 8:16am
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Lynn M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2008 at 9:24am
Thanks for the feedback, I did notice that after getting a perm, some hair falls out as I wash it, but my hair is still very thick, just heavy on top even though it is somewhat layered. I have a lot of hair still, just not the body on top that I had with the first 2 perms.
What you said makes sense that my hair may have changed after the first perms.
I do use vinegar as a rinse once in a while, but I'm going to try it with each wash for awhile to see what happens.
I really don't like the idea of putting those chemicals in my hair to perm it, but it is the only way I like the look of my hair. It isn't straight, nor curly, naturally, just wavy.

Lynn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic