Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lace Front Newbie Information Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 7:41am
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 7:59am

BREH'S TIPS FOR CURLY UNITS AND NATURAL PART:

Cowboy Magic Rose Water Conditioner, Shampoo, and Detangler Shine serum.

Here is my recipe for my curlies/wavys

32 oz spray bottle (fill to the 25 oz line with water)
4 oz bottle of glycerin (pour in the bottle of water)
Biolage Detangling Solution (Fill to the 31 oz line, so you have room to shake the bottle)
Shake well to dissolve the BDS, and that's it. This stuff works great for curly/wavy units.

You don't need to spray the solution on your curly or wavy unit everyday. After washing, conditioning, and applying a dime size amount of the Cowboy Magic shine serum, spray your unit down. Then I spray with water in the morning, and spray with the solution maybe every few days if it needs it. The curls/waves will stay beautiful, soft, tangle free, and moist.

NATURAL PART:

I have a fool proof way to create a natural part. I believe it has been posted before, but I wanted to share again. The only supplies you will need is transparent bandage tape, foundation powder brush, and powder foundation. Here are the steps:

(Optional) Apply your wig cap. (I am wearing a black wig cap in the pictures. )

1.Dip your powder brush into your shade of foundation. (You can also use your finger, or q-tips). I found that using the foundation powder brush was much easier, and less messy.

2. Lightly brush the back of the bandage  tape (Not the sticky side).

3. Tear or cut the tape, and apply to the inside of the lf cap, where the part will be. Apply the tape about 1/4" away from the hairline (just behind the baby hairs). Do not apply the tape directly on the edge of the lace.

4. Apply the lf , and style as usual.

You should have a fantastic looking part, that looks totally natural, that you wont have to worry about touching up until it's time to remove your lf. The tape is not shiny, so you won't have to worry about that.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100957&navAction=jump&navCount=0&id=prod16193

This is the exact same brand that I used, it can be found at CVS, Walgreens, or any medical supply store.

COOLAZFEMALE'S TIP FOR CURLY UNITS:

This is the one that I washed with 10 en 1, nuked with Silicon Mix, moisturized with Silicon Leave-In & Whale Sperm Oil, and sealed with Coconut Oil!
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 2:48pm
TWO TIPS FROM MRS. JONES:

I just washed my unit last night and implemented all of the great tips you guys posted and somehow discovered one of my own. I had a problem of adhesive stuck on my lace and in the hair. I am make-up artist so I used an eyebrow brush/lash comb that came in a walmart brush set and it worked even better than the toothbrush. It is a little more firm than a toothbrush so you have to be a little careful but it worked miracles for my dilemma. I didn't even have to use goo gone that much  because it brushed the adhesive out of the hair easily.

And a way that I use to get great body wafter a wash is to pin curl the hair while it is still damp and then when it gets mostly dry,  cross wrap it, then put saran wrap around it and blow dry the wrap to seal in moisture and leave it wrapped all night.
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 3:29pm

WHAT DO I HAVE TO KNOW BEFORE BUYING A LACEFRONT?

The major issues to be concerned with are your head size and face shape, the wig color, and wig style.

The average women’s head is between 21.5 and 22.5 and petite head size are under 21 and large wigs or over 22.5 inches.

HOW DO I DETERMINE MY HEAD SIZE?

This is how to determine your head size.

1.                  flatten your hair

2.                  use a cloth tape

3.                  measure around your head at the hairline. The tape should be just above the ear and around the natural hairline.

4.                  measure your head from the nape over the crown to the top of your forehead where your natural hairline is.

5.                  measure your head from the top of one ear over the crown to the top of the other ear.

What sizes do wigs come in?

Petite                     21” 13 ¼ 13”

Petite/Average         21 ¼ “ 13 ¾ “ 13 ¼ “

Average                  21 ½ “ 14 ¼ “ 13 ½ “

Avg/Lgr.                  22 ¼ “ 14 ¾ “ 13 ¼ “

Large                      23” 14 ¾ “ 14”

HOW CAN I DETERMINE THE RIGHT STYLE FOR MY FACE?

·  Oval-shaped face
You're lucky - this is the kind of face shape that suits just about any hairstyle. Both long and short hair cuts look great on you, as your face shape is well balanced. The chin and forehead of an oval face shape are in even proportion.
Avoid covering up your perfect face shape with heavy bangs or wearing your hair on your face. You'll lose your face shape and it may add weight to your face.

·  Round face
Hairstyles with fullness and height at the crown will give the impression of a narrower face. Try a cut with layers while keeping the sides close to your face to make your face appear longer. Round faces suit either short hairstyles swept back from your forehead, or hairstyles that are longer than chin length. Wispy fringes and side parts are also good.
Avoid chin length hair, center parts, fullness at the sides of ears, straight "chopped bangs - these wll all emphasise the shape of your face.

·  Heart-shaped face
The heart shaped face is widest at the temples and narrowest at the chin, which can appear pointy. Short hair and chin length hair often looks great on this face shape, as the fullness can even out the jaw and chin lines. Chin length bobs, short shags, swept forward layers and wispy bangs all work well.
Avoid full styles that emphasise the upper face without balancing out your narrow chin. Too much height at the crown and tapered necklines will make you look top heavy.

·  Rectangular, Long face
If your face is long and slender, with your forehead and below cheeks about the same width, hairstyles that balance out the length of your face work best for you. These include short to medium lengths with fullness at the sides and soft wispy bangs. This will shorten the length and add width to your face. Layered styles work well and add softness to the straight lines of your face.
Avoid too much length, it will only make your face look longer. Too much height will also lengthen your face.

·  Square face
If your face is square, with a strong, square jaw line and often an equally square hairline, the right hairstyles for you are ones that soften the square look of your face. Short to medium length hair cuts, with soft wispy bangs and a wave or curl will compliment and balance out your straight face shape. If you hair is straight, maybe consider a body wave. Side parts and fullness/height at the crown can add length to your square face shape.
Avoid straight styles - long straight hair, blunt bangs, straight bobs and center parts, as they will emphasise your square jawline.

·  Triangle face
If you face is triangle, with a wider chin that narrows at the forehead, you want to stick to styles that narrow your chin and widen the forehead. This will balance out your features. Shorter hair can often balance our your prominent jaw line, as well as styles that are full at the temples that taper at the jaw. Off center parts, wedges and shags are also good styles for you. Lots of layers will give you the fullness through the upper part of your face.
Avoid Styles that are full at the jawline and center parts.

·  Full forehead, long chin
If your forehead is large and your chin long, it can help to add volume below the chin line to balance it out. A thick layered cut or mid-length bob will add fullness where it's needed. Bangs can also reduce the look of a full forehead.

·  Large features
Full hair can help downplay a large nose or other feature and can help balance out large features. Straight hair, parted down the middle or a long, heavy fringe will make a larger nose seem even more prominent. Subtle highlights in your hair can help by drawing the eye towards the hair and away from the face.

·  Long or short neck
A long, graceful neck is a beautiful and desireable feature and should be shown off and considered when choosing a hairstyle. Short hair can really show off your neck, however long hair can also add to your already graceful neck when worn in an elegant style, like a twist or updo.
If you want a short hairstyle and your neck is short, create the appearance of length by tapering your hair at the base of the neck and fuller on top.

sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2008 at 6:47pm

DIFFERENCES IN HAIR AND WHY OIL WORKS FOR BOTH HAIR TYPES, BUT FOR DIFFERENT REASONS:

The question came to mind in the Tip for Dry Ends thread. So i need to address this. With our natural hair care, there are definitely differences in how we approach it, b/c our hair is can be bittle and dry b/c of the tight coils in our hair pattern.. Not to mention years of over processing with perms and coloring that has caused our hair nothing but damage, breakage and shedding producing poor hair growth patterns..Oil is great for sealing in moisture to retain length after using moisturing products such as shea butter to moisturize and sealing with oils such as jamaican black castor oil mixed with wild growth oil. Not to mention protein treatments constant tender loving care. And it works great to stop breakage. Another thing we've learned is that certain ingredient filler's aren't good for our hair that we've used for years, I found an article that explains this:

From the time we are little kids, our mom’s would have us sit down so she could “grease our scalp” but is this actually healthy for our hair or is this an old tradition carried down from our ancestors to our own children?

I remember, as a child, my mother would grease our scalps and we ALWAYS had that Dax Pressing Grease under our bathroom sink. I remember getting teased at school from leaving grease marks on all my papers after scratching my head. I remember my mother being proud that “Black folks” didn’t get lice because of the grease in our hair. But again, is grease really healthy for our scalps???

Most hair professionals would say “No” because the petrolatum tends to clog our pores and stunt the hair growth or even cause hair to fall out. “But I have a very dry scalp and I need grease”. My only reply to that is that perhaps the grease is making your scalp dry. I realize this does not make sense initially but let me explain a bit further. Just as it applies to our faces, if we over dry our oily skin, our skin will only then start to over produce oil, right? Well, if we over oil our scalps, won’t our skin ultimately slow down or stop producing it’s own oils, causing dandruff?

Greases were not made for our scalps, rather for our hair. Perms dry our hair out so we need to put oil back into it to prevent breaking. Oiling our hair is different than oiling our scalps and most hair professionals would agree that if the first 3 ingredients of your hair products contain “petrolatum”, then it should not be used on your scalp.

So, then why would “medicated” hair products for dandruff contain petrolatum as their very FIRST ingredient? Perhaps the same reason why "medicated" lip balms contain petrolatum and "menthol”,...which is a drying agent. The more you use it, the dryer your skin, the more you HAVE to use it. (end of article)

As for the Indian and/or Asian hair that we have in most of our lacefront units the hair approach is entirely different and we really do need to enbrace our inner white girl to realize this, and realize the differences in the hair that we're dealing with. For white and other races they hair produces much more oil sebrum from their follicles than we do, so its really necessary to restore this oil into the hair we use b/c its no longer attached to a hair follicle.. So aside from always maintaining good moisturizine products and serums we do need the oils from time to time. This is what this type of hair produces from the hair follice that it no longer has now and why its necessary:

Oils From Within

The oils within your hair shaft account for 3% of it. They are made within your bair bulb and are part of the "intercellular cement" in the cortex (the place where you hair produces its color) and the cuticle (the outside of your hair shaft that acts like a coat of armour). These oils are a protective coating for your hair to prevent it from absorbing too much water and they help "cement" the components of your hair together. Therefore you can see how the oil within your hair is very useful.

Oils From Without

Then there is the oil on the outside of your hair that is produced by the sebaceous glands. These sit right next to the hair follicle and form a film on the surface of your skin and they lubricate your hair. This allows your hair to be flexible (to bend) and to shine.

Hormones

The amount of lipids that you produce is determined by your hormones. If your hormones tell your hair bulbs and sebaceous glands to kick into high gear, your hair will become greasy faster - and there isn't a thing you can do about it. The grease in your hair will attract impurities from the surrounding air and make your hair dirty. On the other hand, if your hormones decide to produce only a small amount of lipids, your hair will become damaged, dry, and dull.
You need the pilids (oils) in your hair for protection, flexibility, and shine. Even though it may be a pain to have to wash your hair as often as you do, the oils in your hair are a blessing in disguise. Imagine if you didn't have it - your hair would be a real mess. (end of article)

So basically there is a need for the oils in our natural hair to retain moisture and length and avoid breakage.. But also as well in the asian hair we have in our lacefronts to restore the oil that this hair no longer recieves which is a protective coating to this type of hair texture.. We must always be able to seperate the two differences when taking care of our lacefront units b/c there is science behind the differences in the follicles alone and therefore the difference in hair care needs to be an awareness for us.. that's why i always say no black hair care products for this hair, not to mention the differences in Hair Follicle Pigmentation and the production of the sebaceous gland of oil from the follicle is different and the difference is in the Hair shaft melanin components. Here's an article on the differences between white, african american and asian hair follicle pigmentation..

Data pertaining to structural and functional differences within ethnic skin types support the assumption that hair follicles in the various skin types are not equal. Thus, the need to investigate follicular morphology in non-Caucasian skin types becomes more than apparent. The aim of the present study was to determine the potential reservoir of vellus hair follicles in non-Caucasian skin types in order to estimate their contribution to the penetration of topically applied substances. Cyanoacrylate skin surface biopsies were taken from seven body sites of Asians and African-Americans. To determine the follicular reservoir, the samples were evaluated under the light microscope. Follicular parameters were measured with the help of a digital imaging software program. In the evaluation and comparison of the results with those of Caucasians, significant differences were detected. Compared with Whites, follicular density on the forehead is significantly lower in Asians and African-Americans. Smaller values were detected for volume, surface, follicular orifice and hair shaft diameter on the thigh and in calf regions in Asians and African-Americans. Furthermore, the follicular reservoir, characterized by follicular volume, is generally higher in Caucasians. In comparison to African-Americans, larger follicular volumes on the forehead, back and on the upper arm were determined in Asians. The fairly similar density in these sites revealed that Asians have a higher follicular reservoir in these sites. Due to significant ethnic differences in the follicular reservoir, particularly on the calf and forehead, prospective skin absorption experiments need to be performed on different skin types in order to be representative. (end of article)

Just trying to keep us educated and in rememberance of what our hair needs and what the hair in the lacefront units needs from us..
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 5:02pm

THE SILK, LADIES JUST MEANS "FINE SILK MONOFILAMENT", IT A MATERIAL

VERY STRONG AND THIN, COMES IN MANY COLORS, SKIN SHADES,

THATS WHAT SILK MEANS, IT JUST THE TYPE OF BASE MATERIAL YOU CHOSE

YOU CAN CHOSE FRENCH LACE OR SWISS LACE OF WHAT EVER

Base Materials

Fine Mono - This is the most popular foundation used today.  It is a very durable, closely woven fine nylon mesh material.  

All Star Lace/Mono Graft Welded Mono - This is the same as fine mono, but uses finer, more closely-woven threads.  It is used for welded mono front and mono graft hair systems.

Mono Silk - A  silky, fine, very closely woven polyester material, but looks like silk.  It is not recommended for large areas in the foundation due to the difficulty in shaping this fabric, but is excellent for smaller areas.

Welded Mono - A very popular foundation.  It is made from clear nylon threads woven like window screen.  It is sonic welded to join the threads permanently together.  It can be made in a single or double layers and is extremely natural looking.

Skin Graft - PU and Glass Silk - Clear polyurethane, soft-scalloped front.  The rest of the base is reinforced with a very thin gauze material.  It is a totally natural appearing see-through foundation.

PU Thin Skin - Clear polyurethane with no gauze.  A beautiful material, but extremely delicate.

PE Mesh - A flexible and durable, four-sided polyester mesh similar to window screen, but with smaller holes.  It may be ordered with a soft or firm finish.

Small Hole Fusion - Woven material with six-sided, 1/4 inch holes.

Large Hole Fusion - Woven material with six-sided 1/2 inch holes.

Integration Material - A braided nylon sewing thread used to construct a foundation with any size holes.   

System Fronts

Scallop Front - This front is designed to be slightly wavy along the hairline giving a realistic look.  This type of front lasts the longest.  Underventing cannot be done with this front.

Smooth Line Front - Underventing (hair coming from the underneath side of the system) is recommended for front hairlines that go in a smooth line.

Lace Front Materials

All Star Lace/Mono Graft Welded Mono - This is  the same material as fine mono, but uses finer, more closely-woven threads.  It is used for welded mono lace fronts and mono graft systems.  Underventing cannot be done with this front.

French Lace - A "theatrical" lace material used to create a very natural front hairline.  It may also be used for the entire foundation.  Underventing cannot be done with this front.

Skin Lace - A very thin polyurethane plus gauze material.  It is very natural looking, but very delicate and short-lived.  Underventing cannot be done with this front.

Ventilation Options

Single Hair Vent - One hair is vented at a time.  This is good for daily-wear customers who want an open look.  This is the most convincing, but also the most delicate venting and is not recommended for hard usage.  This venting may also be ordered in specific areas only, for example, front, part, crown or as desired.

Skin Graft V Loop Stitch - This is extremely natural with no knots at all.  It must be polyurethane sealed and is not long-lasting.

Skin Graft Half Knot - This is used in polyurethane areas and is sealed after venting.  It is as durable as  single hair venting and is close to loop stitch for the finished appearance.

Standard Venting - The hair is vented 2 to 3 hairs at a time.  It is good-looking and durable.  The knots are more noticeable if styled strongly open.  This is the recommended knotting for longer lasting results for permanent-wear customers.  It may be ordered in specific areas only if requested.

Edited by sexibeach - February 08 2009 at 7:48am
LatinJuliet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LatinJuliet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2008 at 9:34pm
You obviously know your stuff, it's great to have someone so knowledgeable on this forum. I have never worn a lace wig but I am interested in purchasing one. I've looked through all the links you've posted but I can't seem to find one I like at a reasonable price. I want long black wavy, silky straight and human. I agree, chinese vendors are great but none seem to have what I'm looking for...any suggestions? I'm a little nervous about this purchase but excited as well...luckily you're on here to guide me Tongue

Also, I have very long hair - too long to braid, will my hair get full of odor if I swim with my unit on? I'm planning on getting it for my wedding.

Thank you for all your help - ,

D
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2008 at 6:33pm

NEW TIP AND PRODUCT BY Countessrim

Ok ya'll I found that miracle product that makes my unit as fresh, soft, silky and a new as it was when it first popped out it's bag! This little jewel call Simply Stylin' is a gift from God! It's a pure silicone serum that is used on hair. I found it's website while searching for other Silicone products as an alternative to Silicon Mix. I bought the samples ($2) on Monday and they showed up in my mail box today. So, since  my week old unit was looking rough (by rough I mean, stiff, matted, dry, dull, and tangled) I descided to go to the lab!

Here are my steps:

1) Bleach Bath my unit (seriously use Clorox I know others will debate on this but, it's the only bleach that actually works for my Holly units)

2) Shampoo with Dove Intensive Moisturizer Shampoo

3) Condition with a mix of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, and Dove Intensive Conditioner. Nuke in the micorwave for a minute in 30 sec interavals. Let sit in bag for 3 minutes. FULLY rinse out with luke warm water.

4) Spritz on some Shine Pearl Intive leave in Serum ($1 at Dollar Genral)

5) Evenly distribute about 2 oz. (The whole sample bottle) of the Simply Stylin’ Silk Serum through out the hair.

6) Blow dry on Med. Low heat. And if a straight unit run the flat iron over it and BAM! It'll look like you just bought a new unit.

And Ladies I'm being for real with this stuff. At first I didn't think it would be that great because as I was putting it on, I didn't see much difference, but baby when I ran my regular old flat iron across it that hair was looking so kinda good! I was like DAMN! I couldn't stop smile and running my fingers through it. It has a very polished finished and it's not greasy feeling either!

So I hope this helps some of ya'll!

sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2008 at 6:54pm

NATURAL PART TIP WITH STERI STRIPS FOR THE BROWN SKIN SISTA'S BY JADEVETTI STEP BY STEP HOW SHE DID THE TIP:

Ok, First, depending on what type of parting I want (one part or double parts)  I correlate my strips to it.  For a wide part, I used the wide Steri Strip.  I dabbed the strip with my foundation using a thin applicator brush, then attached the clean sticky side onto my wig cap. So sticky side=down, makeup on top.   I made sure I measured exactly where my lace would fall, so that it lined perfectly with the part.  Then I used the thin applicator brush to smudge in a little foundation on the strip, through the lace, for extra blending (to match my complexion even more, no need to really do this if you are lighter toned). 

And voila!  That's it.  I have the thin strips as well to use for any double part tricks I may want to try.  I will keep you updated if and when I do that.  I was very pleased with how convenient it was to apply.  I made the mistake the first time around trying to attach the strip to the lace, which means I'd have to color in the sticky part.  That didn't work so well, the strip wouldn't stick at all anymore.

sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2008 at 4:50pm

HELPFUL%20FAQs%20and%20COLOR%20ANSWERS
%28color%20swatches%20on%20the%20next%20page%29

Question: Answer:

Can you send me a color ring?

Can you send me color swatches?

How dark is (color 6) dark brown?

How do you name the colors?

I don't see this color on the website sample chart.

Since we use several factories, we don't have hair samples or a color ring that would cover our entire selection . Colors vary slightly from one wig to the next since there is no industry standard for wig colors. However, they are similar enough to be labeled as the same color number. Also, hair with a "wet look" will seem to be a darker shade than the same color in another non-wet-look piece.

Naming a color is a challenge since the perception of hair color depends a lot on the color and tone of the person wearing it. On darker skin, one color will look blonde, and the same wig on light skin looks very dark. For example, I had one light skinned customer try on the color 6 (dark brown) and say "I don't look good in black hair." I had another darker skinned customer refer to the exact same color as "too blonde."

For example, check out these ladies. wig%20colorWhose hair color is lighter? What color is their hair? Is one Strawberry Blonde and one Light Auburn? They are exactly the same color hair. You see my dilemma.
I do my best to accurately describe each color since there is no way for me to know what color skin the hair is going on (and since everyone has their own ideas of what "blonde" or "brown" is.) Being in the hair styling profession for 25 years, my most natural choice was to base the color names on professional hair tint color charts.

There is no website color chart for the party colors because the colors vary with each style. If you are trying to match a particular costume, send us a sample of the fabric so we can see if it will match.

There is no color sample on the chart for uncommon colors that are only on a few styles.

What color is the wig in the picture?

Colors tend to look deferent on different monitors and with different lighting so even if I remembered what color the wig was, it would be misleading to tell you. I have no way to know what exactly you are looking at on your system.

If you are not familiar with wig colors, the best bet is to order by mail and send me a clipping rather than guessing from the computer pictures or descriptions. See address on the following question.

How do I know what color my hair is?

Please send me a sample of your hair. Make it large enough that I can clearly see the color, at least 1/4 inch thick. If the color is for a 3/4 cap or fall, please send a clipping near the front of your hair (clip off a piece from root to end). If the clipping is for a ponytail or hairpiece, I'll need both the front and back color.

Is this a good color?

Does this color look natural?

Answers in this paragraph are based on the synthetic colors only.

Although there is no such thing as a good or bad color, I do have some suggestions as to what colors I do NOT suggest if you are trying to match natural hair:

Color 24 or a 16:
these 2 colors are more of a "formerly grey and tinted blonde" color that doesn't have much gold in it. It is a wonderful color on a wig for a mature person because of the soft tones, but does not make a good hairpiece match for natural or tinted (non-greyish) hair.

24/14 and 18/22: Works well for a wig, but not for most hair pieces. These are very cool colors. There is also 24/14G, that is golden, but the regular 24/14 is not. If you have brown hair that is frosted with a warm blonde, these colors will NOT be gold enough to match your hair. They will look greyish next to your warm hair color. 18/22 is drabber--almost a greyish look (without any silver.) There is a color called 8t124 which is similar but a bit warmer than the 24/14, so I'd suggest that might be a better match if your hair is frosted.

Color 14: Is great for a wig if you want a lightest brown-- almost blonde color, but not good for a long hair piece, fall, or ponytail. It is too ashy for most natural "blonde/brown" hair. For a ponytail, it is better to go with a lighter shade if your hair is a blonde/brown since lighter ends are quite common in blonde/brown color of hair. Works fine for a scrunchie or a short piece such as Becky or Hayley. If you have blonde/brown hair, you might like the 10t19 (only in the Jewel).

Color 12: similar to the above but a shade darker. It s a good color for a wig on a cooler darker skinned person, but doesn't match very many people's hair. Once again, I do not suggest it for a long hair piece, fall, or ponytail unless your hair is tinted. Since most natural light brown hair has a warm tone and is lighter toward the ends, this color tends to look flat and "greenish" next to most light brown hair. Might be fine for a scrunchie or a short piece such as Becky or Hayley.

I encourage people to send a hair sample before purchasing a hairpiece.

I was told my hair is ash blonde, so that is what I ordered. This look greyish.

Why do you call it ash blonde?

What is Ash? What is Warm?

Some technical words end up being interpreted incorrectly in everyday language. The term "ash blonde" is commonly used to describe hair that was once golden and has darkened and gotten duller over the years. Compared to the way it was, it is now more of an "ash blonde". But technically, the hair itself probably still has gold tones in it and may more accurately be described as a blonde/brown.

Tone is not lightness or darkness of a color. For example, ash blonde does not mean dark blonde. Ash blonde means that the blonde has no gold in it. It is a cool color--like the drabness of ashes. Warm means it has reddish or golden overtones, like the warmth of the sun. Drab means it is even more ashy than ash--more toward the dull greyish side. Ash colors can look greyish or even greenish on warmer skin tones. Golds can look reddish or brassy on cooler skin tones. So what is a warm ash? A neutral color that might look golden on some people and greyish on others.

I have to laugh when I see the color charts for some manufacturers with 5 colors described as "Medium Golden Blonde". If you look at the hair, there isn't any "gold" in any of those colors. Most of them are ash.

I encourage people to send a hair sample since the perception of hair color depends a lot on the person wearing it.

What it a "tipped" color?

What does the "t" mean? Like in 8t124

How much of the ends are of the lighter color?

A tipped color is like a mix of two colors with only the lighter color on the ends. The illusion is that the roots are darker than the ends for a beautiful effect: like highlighting or sunstreaking. The amount of tipping varies with each wig.

There are usually 2 numbers listed with a "t" between them. The darker color is the base color, and the lighter color is the tip color. How this is done: Both colors are blended through the root and middle area. The base color stops near the end, but the tip color keeps going so it looks lighter on the ends.

For example, 4t130: Auburn with flame auburn tips = A mix of dark brown (4) and flame (130) at the roots and through the middle. Flame (and no brown) at the tips. The overall effect looks like someone who may have had dark brown hair with sunbleached ends that has now dyed their hair with flame hair dye. The darker hair would be a darker flame, and the ends would be brighter.

Another example, 8t124: brown and blonde are blended throughout the wig, but the tips are totally blonde. This wig looks like brown hair that was frosted with blonde a few times--the roots are a bit darker than the ends.

What is highlighted?

What does the "h" mean? Such as: 24h613

How much of the highlight color is in the wig?

There are usually 2 numbers listed with a "h" between them. Sometimes the "h" is in the beginning. Different manufacturers name them differently. For example: 24h613 is the same as h613-24

The darker color is the base color, and the lighter color is the highlight color. Normally, the highlight color is about every 3 inches and the thickness of the highlight is about an inch wide throughout the wig and thinner strands towards the top. The amount of highlighting varies with each wig.

What is mixed, blended, frosted or streaked colors?

What does the "/" mean? Such as: 24/14

What does the "SP" mean? Such as:1bsp33

How much of the each color is in the wig?

Do the streaks show?

There are usually 2 numbers listed with a "/" between them. The two colors are evenly used in the wig. The amount of blending varies with each wig.

Unfortunately, there is no industry standard on how these colors are blended. Sometimes they are streaks, sometimes they are blended so that it looks like one color, sometimes it gives a highlighted or frosted effect. Most of the time it give a slight highlighted effect and color depth to the wig without looking streaky.

There is also an "sp" blending code. The "SP" suggests that the two colors are closely blended to form a new color. It looks like one color rather than highlighted. For example in the 1bsp33, the color strands of 1b and 33 are blended creating a blackish version of the color 33.

If you have a question about a particular wig in a mixed color, please contact me and I'll see if I can describe it.

Does this wig come in this color?

I didn't see the color I wanted in the pull down choices.

Can you make it in my color?

Not all wigs come in all colors. Colors an item comes in are listed in the pulldown menu next to each item.

To custom make a wig in a certain color would require you to order a minimum of 20 pieces of that exact style in that exact color. If it is something you will be wearing for many many years, it might be worth the investment. I don't recommend it unless it is for a dance team or other group of performances that need the exact wigs in a certain color. It does take 6-8 weeks for a special 20 pieces or more order.

If I don't like the color, can the wig be dyed?

Synthetic hair cannot be tinted. It is made out of a nylon fabric and will not take any kind of human hair color. It would be like trying to dye pantyhose with hair dye. It doesn't work.

You may tint human hair, but it is not always recommended. It is not easy to go lighter, but sometimes you can tint them darker. If you want a lighter color, it is best to order a different color.

You may not return a wig that has be tinted.

Are the rave reviews from customers who bought human hair wigs, synthetics or both? Both.
This human hair color looks different than the synthetic one I bought.

Most human hair tends to be "warmer" than synthetics of the same color. For example, the color 30 in synthetic is a brownish auburn. In human hair in is a truer redder auburn.

The Human hair colors vary much much more than the synthetics, especially in the blondes. In some wigs color 613 is a pale blonde, in some it is a brassy bleached blonde. I try and put a "G" next to the human hair wigs where the color has more of a brassy tone to it. All of the human hair blondes are not as "pale" as the synthetic of the same color and tend to be more golden.

Brunettes -- Do not try and match your hair against this chart. It is only a guide and not color accurate.
wig%20color 1=Blackest Black, very black--like a witch black, or a tinted deep black.
wig%20color 1B=Natural Black, close to 1b but more of a natural color. Not as harsh as the color 1.
wig%20color 2=Brownish Black, one shade lighter than the 1b. Has some brownish overtones to it.
wig%20color 4=Darkest Brown, a very dark brunette, not black, but very dark.
wig%20color 6=Dark Brown, lighter than the color 4. More of a medium dark brown. Not quiet a dark dark brown.
wig%20color 33=Mahogany Auburn, a dark auburn similar in darkness to a color 6, but with a violet auburn tone. Not orangy or flame.
wig%20color 8=Medium Brown, lighter than the color 6. Looks lighter on dark skin. An ashy tone. No gold.
wig%20color 30=Brownish Auburn, about as light as a color 10, but reddish more than brownish. Not as bright as a flame, more of a natural chestnut auburn.
wig%20color 10=Medium Light Brown, a regular light ash brown color. Not dark, not blonde. Leans towards the ash side rather than gold.
wig%20color 12=Light Ash Brown, lighter than color 10. See FAQ above for more information.
wig%20color 27=Light Auburn, about as light as a color 14, but reddish. Sometimes referred to as strawberry blonde on people with dark skin, but it is darker than a true blonde.
wig%20color 14=Blondish Ash Brown, a color not quite dark blonde and not quite light brown. See FAQ above for more information.
Blondes -- Do not try and match your hair against this chart. It is only a guide and not color accurate.
wig%20color 16=Med Wheat Blonde, not a "natural" blonde color. See FAQ above for more information.
wig%20color 19=Golden Strawberry Blonde, lighter than a 27. A medium blonde color. This color is seen often when dark hair is lightened to blonde using a tint. It is golden with some reddish tones. Very pretty.
wig%20color 15=Warm Ash Blonde, a lot like the 19, but slighlty less red. Lighter than the color 14 and more golden.
wig%20color 24=Med Beige Blonde, not a "natural" blonde color. See FAQ above for more information.
wig%20color 24B=Med Warm Blonde, similar to the color 19 but lighter. Same lightness as the 24b, but more golden. Beautiful color. This color is seen often when medium brown hair is lightened to blonde using a tint. Great hairpiece color on many medium blondes.
NOT W8N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOT W8N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by sexibeach sexibeach wrote:

how to wrap your hair underneath if its too long for braiding:

how to cornrow:

different types of braiding:

Sexi - i being the studious newbie that i am - found that the link for the how to wrap your hair to be incorrect... here is the right one... i guess you can just edit the link above

sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 7:30pm
thanks sometimes those youtubes move alot..
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 6:35pm

by QUEENBEE:

Buying LF Wigs Online

Thank you for taking the time to read our guide. We hope that we can provide you with tips on purchasing the best lace front wig and help you avoid disappointments, scams and costly mistakes.

The 10 Commandments to Follow When Buying Lace Front Wigs Online

1.      Thou shall find out how long the seller has been in business and if they do indeed make or order their wigs elsewhere. Many sellers purchase their wigs overseas from mass produced shops. They gather your measurements and then ship them off to the foreign shops to be created. This can be a bit risky since most foreign suppliers focus on quantity and not quality which could result in a poorly made unit that only last for a few weeks to a month. Also if there is a mistake with your custom unit then the wig will have to be sent back for repairs which will take even longer. Make sure you know what your sellers policies are in the event that your wig comes back with defects or errors.

2.      Thou shall ask the seller for references Many lace front sellers keep a compiled list of references for potential customers interested in purchasing a unit but would like to contact past customers first. Ebay feedback is great for viewing customers remarks about the sellers wigs.

3.      Thou shall be leary of 0 and private feedbacks.  Zero feedback doesn't mean that the seller is not legit. To be on the safe side request references or ask if they have any sample photos of their actual work. A lot of sellers use private feedbacks which means no one can view what is being said about their items. This is a red flag for most when ordering such a personal, costly item.

4.      Thou shall do your own research. Make sure that you are fully educated on lace front wigs before making the decision to purchase one.  Talk with others who wear & sell lace front wigs.Applying a lace front wig is an art within itself so get educated on the pros and cons of these wigs.

5.      Thou shall ask thyself if the price is reasonable A decent price for a lace front is hard to determine since people value their products at different levels. If the seller makes their own lace fronts and does not order wholesale then the price will be higher usually ranging from $500-$1,000 depending on length. It takes 40-60 hours for highly experienced wig makers to create a full hand-tied wig. Find out what others are paying for their wigs and the quality of the wig.

6.      Thou shall  request photos of the actual wig or photos of the sellers work Don't settle for celebrity photos on stock units. Matter of fact, don't settle for celebrity photos at all, not unless they are being used to compare their actual wig against a celebrities to show similarities. Reputable sellers do not use copyrighted celebrity photos to solely endorse their product. 1.) The celebrity in the photo may not even be wearing a lace front 2.) If they are, it is theft and misrepresentation of someone elses work and not that of the seller (unless noted that  it is indeed their work)  If you want to view the wig from a different angle ask the seller for a photo of the wig from that angle. Don't be hesitant to request the pictures you will need in order to make a decision to purchase. Most sellers will be more than happy to accomodate your wishes.

7.      Thou shall be sure the seller will offer after-purchase customer service. Customer service is big when purchasing a lace front wig. You may need help after you recieve your wig. Be sure to order from a seller that will offer you after service support and responds fast and professionally to all your request.

8.      Thou shall know the sellers policy. Be sure to read the entire ebay listing and make yourself familiar with their return policy and the way unsatisfactory is handled. If you are not confident the wig will fit, either ask for assistance on measuring your head or don't purchase the unit. Most sellers do not offer a refund which means you may get stuck with a unit that doesn't fit.

9.      Thou shall make sure the lace front wig comes with a guide Any product should come with a guide of use and care. Lace front wigs are no exception. Make sure that your wig comes with a guide that tells you how to apply, remove and take basic care of your unit.

10.  Thou shall remember the signs of danger. Be leary of sellers who do not respond to messages, stress immediate payment over and over again in their listing, does not have photos of their actual products or uses photos stolen from other sellers, has private, negative and or 0 feedback, does not offer after-purchase customer service, use celebrity photos to solely sell their products, has unorganized unprofessional listings, constantly uses 1 day listings. Also check the sellers completed listing in search of self-bidding.

These are just a few basic things to consider when purchasing a lace front wig online.  If a seller has a few of these signs it doesn't mean that they are automatically a bad seller or scammer. Every seller has a way that they do business so what it comes down to is your personal choice. Do your research & choose a seller that you feel comfortable with.

Happy Lace Front Buying!!

BUYING USED LF FROM MEMBERS

BY PRINCESSLF AND CHARMED:

I'm starting this topic as an etiquette type of thing.  I'm a member of several hair boards and recently purchased a used unit from one of the members, who that person is is not important.  However, what is important are basic etiquette things that should be done when selling a used unit:

1.  Remove all adhesive from the unit.  If you can't remove all the adhesive after at least making the attempt to do so, make the buyer aware of this beforehand.

2.  WASH and CONDITION the unit before you mail it out.  Don't take the unit off your head, stuff it in a package as is with all the hair products you had on it, grease, dirt etc and ship it out. 

3.  Make some attempt to package the unit nicely.  When you received the unit brand new, it came to you with the hair netting and a plastic bag.  Comb the unit or at least show that you wanted to send a good product.

Even if the unit is a beater, there is no excuse to send a nasty, dirty unit to someone.  What's nasty and dirty is reaching into the package and grabbing hold of a greasy mess that you have to immediately drop and wash and sanitize your hands.

1.  dont mis communciate the condition of the unit (hair length, condition, cap condition etc.)
2.  dont charge an arm and a leg when you know it is worth $50 and actually you should be giving it away.

I bought a unit from someone and when I received the wig there were holes in the lace, the hair was coming out, it had been dyed (that was not mentioned) it was much shorter than described and she charged me $185 for a very used wig vs a gently used item.  I was steaming mad and I addressed her behind the scenes. 

Ladies beware that there are people that are selling units cause they are trying to get up some bill money.  I don't have issue with that BUT if it's crap dont try to jerk me
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 6:42pm

Compare Hair System Bases

Base%20ComparisonHow does it look? How does it feel? How long does it last? Choosing the right hair system base can seem tricky, but we're here to help.

Use the comparison chart below to decide which base design would be the best fit for you. Want to learn more about appearance vs. durability?

//tblInit("BaseComparison"); tblInit("FullLaceBases"); tblInit("LaceFrontBases"); tblInit("SkinBases"); tblInit("ConventionalBases");
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2008 at 12:04pm

TRANSITIONING FROM RELAXER TO NATURAL WHILE WEARING LF'S:

During the time you are transitioning, there are really two key things to focus on: 1) you will need to keep your hair moisturized, and 2) the point where your relaxed hair meets your natural hair is very fragile. You want to wear the simplest styles possible with as little manipulation as possible. Something "tied down" like a bun or cornrows, or protective style like lace front wigs are good options. Styles that disguise the two textures and don't require combing like a wet set are also good. Insert Lf's here!

Braids are fine during your transition. If you are planning to use extensions, it's probably best to go to a natural hair stylist to have them done versus a braiding salon. Theoretically, a natural hair care salon will understand what you are trying to accomplish and give more consideration to the overall health of your hair. When you get braids done improperly, unfortunately they can cause scalp damage and hair loss.
Use a moisturizing shampoo, moisturizing conditioner, leave in conditioner, moisturizing styling products, and seal with Oil to lock moisture in...there is really no such thing as hair that is too moist for a transitioner.

Here's product that is especially designed for black hair that is for curly coiled hair:

sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2008 at 7:34pm

TIP BY LOVEANGIE ON ADHESIVE REMOVAL:

I posted this in another thread but I think it deserves a thread of it's own. To remove tapes (yes blue liner tape too!) and glues from your lace without alcohol and without oil (goo gone, etc.), try this: Cinema Secrets Brush Cleaner, along with this: natural bristle brush.

The Cinema Secrets is meant to clean and sanitize makeup brushes and it doesn't contain alcohol and it isn't oily. It smells like vanilla. ^_^ I get the big bottle and put some into a small 2 oz spray bottle. To remove my wig, I spray a little CSBC on the along the hairline and gently rub it in. After about 30 seconds, I can lift it up. Most of the tapes and glues stick to my head and not the wig. What ever is left on the wig, I spritz with the CSBC and brush gently with the brush (that little brush is the truth) and it's out. No oil. No holes in your lace. No stinky solvent or orange smell.

I don't work for them, I just really like it and wanted to share.

I now use it exclusively and know for a fact that it works on Supertape, Blue Liner tape, Vapon NoTape, CoolPiece ORWG and White Cream Adhesive, but not on SPIRIT GUM

A makeup artist discovered this trick and this is what they use on sets to clean ventilated lace goods.

sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2008 at 8:30pm
The Cinema Secrets brush cleaner is here: http://www.alconeco.com/products/tools/brush_cleaner/cinema_secret_s_brush_cleaner

The Natural Brushes are here: http://www.alconeco.com/products/tools/brushes/hair_coloring/rcma_hair_coloring_brush

the brushes are dye brushes but they are used to clean lace wigs too
mslady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mslady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2008 at 5:03am
Tips by meechie2cute--

Well for all yall Mastix P sprit gum users...I use Stridex to remove the glue from skin AND lace. It cleanses it well and get all those flaky bits off the skin. This also works for silicon based glues, this prevent excess "boogies" and just gets rid of them.  Stridex are alcohol free. They are awesome and Stri-Dex%20Maximum%20Strength

super affordable.

mslady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mslady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2008 at 5:46am
UPDATED:  HOW TO APPLY LACE WIG USING TAPE--

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/front-lace-wig-application/101159560

sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 5:50pm

AMERICAN VENDOR:

www.contagioushair.com

UK VENDOR AFRO GERMAN GIRL 

www.bargainlacewigs.co.uk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic