Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

silk base? invisible roots?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
happydesta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happydesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 10:35pm

Thanks ladies for these info. I truly appreciate it .

Edited by happydesta - March 31 2008 at 10:38pm
roxynyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roxynyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 10:39pm
wow this type of base/knotting looks great.  but is the base much thicker than lace since there are two layers and can you expose the hairline?
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 5:05am
Originally posted by Divavocals Divavocals wrote:

Originally posted by sexibeach sexibeach wrote:

i really think this technology belongs to american wig makers in hollywood, b/c there are some that say they do this as chinese vendor's but i seriously don't believe they do.. i believe they started this technique in hollywood for the realistic look in the major flim industry, so you'd be hard pressed to find a vendor that does for the amount of money we spend with them in china.. but i'm sure once it becomes more mainstream they will be offering this.. b/c i've discussed it with some of them and they aren't aware of the technique, i believe some chinese vendor's will tell you yea they do this b/c they want the business not b/c they actually do this.. Hair Illusions does this technique and you know they charge enough that you could buy a car for their prices.. but some chinese vendors do offer silk base caps for the construction of the wigs but they tell me its harder for them to venilate with the silk base b/c the holes are much smaller than the swiss lace..
Actually there are Chinese wig makers that also do wigs/closures on these silk bases. I have two clients who sell these types of closures (and wigs) and they are made in China.. Extensions Plus also has a Chinese factory who makes the stock closures and wigs for them using the silk base. (custom product is made here in Reseda, CA)

Your sources are right.. It is difficult to ventilate by hand hair into a silk base. However, these types of closures and wigs are not ventilated by the vendors I know of who are making them. The hair is machine injected into the silk base..

i bet the silk holds a little more heat too, than the lace.. just thinking of the pro's and con's.. altho the mono offers a silk mesh as well that is pretty transparent, the one mono top i had left little need for a wig cap so that was a plus for me.. even tho that website shows it as a UK vendor, its not posted as a mono silk top.. i just posted that to show the triple reverse knots technique.. Diva i bet your favorite vendor EP offers the triple reverse knots in their lf's.. with the TRK there's no need to bleach b/c the knots are completely invisible..
I can speak for the closures since I've worn them and relay to you a first hand wearers comment about the silk base wigs and heat.. They are no hotter than Swiss Lace. Remember silk is a VERY light and breathable natural fabric.. One of the girls who works there wears their wigs with the silk tops. She wears her wigs sewn-in, and she says that they are very light and not at all hot to wear.. Keep in mind this is the San Fernando valley, and in the summer time, it's get hot as HADES up in here!

I'm pretty sure that Extensions Plus does use the triple reverse technique in their wigs.. The knots looked invisible on the few full lace front wigs I've seen during my visits to Extensions Plus.. (They wouldn't really let me touch 'em since they were custom orders belonging to someone else)

YES Diva i was referring to the TRK's that most chinese's vendor DO not do the TRK's.. not the silk base b/c they pretty much all do have that to offer.. i should have made a difference between the two..
DonnaB63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaB63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 7:51am
The info available here is amazing!  I am wondering if the silk base is easily stained?  For instance from sweat, or if the hair is dyed, when you was the unit, will the dye stain the lace?  other than personal preference, would TRK's be a better choice for longevity?
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 8:26am
Originally posted by DonnaB63 DonnaB63 wrote:

The info available here is amazing!  I am wondering if the silk base is easily stained?  For instance from sweat, or if the hair is dyed, when you was the unit, will the dye stain the lace?  other than personal preference, would TRK's be a better choice for longevity?

well i think its possible with some of the methods we use, as for instance to bleach the knots which at times have caused a orange coloring and the rit's dye remover that could be a concern for the silk as it would be with any material..b/c some have stained the lace using the cooking spray to protect the knots while dying the hair color..i wonder about the durability of the silk holding thru those types of processes.. i'm sure that wouldn't be as much as an issue, as the different methods we use for other things we do to tweak a unit..

but in my opinion the TRK's are the better options at least for me, b/c for most lace wig wear'ers the biggest concern are the knots.. some really are afraid to bleach them, and the visibility is another problem.. the silk base is an option for an alternative to hiding them better b/c of the holes being smaller, but they aren't totally invisible as i can see from the pictures.. i'd personally much rather prefer the options of the TRK's with a super fine swiss lace b/c the knots are the biggest concern, and the TRK's would resolve that issue..

Edited by sexibeach - April 01 2008 at 8:28am
2honest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2honest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 8:41am
Wow!!
You all are a wealth of knowledge.

Thanks for all the info.
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 9:31am

Sexi is right.. The silk is not more or less susceptible to staining tan the lace from the things done to the hair (dying, colorlifting, bleach etc). You just have to bel careful like you would be not to get these substances onto the lace.. My experience from wearing these type of closures is that sweat stains are also not an issue..

but in my opinion the TRK's are the better options at least for me, b/c for most lace wig wear'ers the biggest concern are the knots.. some really are afraid to bleach them, and the visibility is another problem.. the silk base is an option for an alternative to hiding them better b/c of the holes being smaller, but they aren't totally invisible as i can see from the pictures.. i'd personally much rather prefer the options of the TRK's with a super fine swiss lace b/c the knots are the biggest concern, and the TRK's would resolve that issue..
And those pics from Holly are similar, but not quite like the wigs and closures I've seen from other vendors (including Extensions Plus). In the silk based wigs and closures I've seen from other vendors and Extensions Plus, the knots are COMPLETELY invisible because the silk base material is not SHEER. (therefore the knots are completely hidden -- the base is still VERY lightweight)
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 9:37am
Yes diva but most lf wear'ers don't buy them from Extension's Plus b/c they are high and expensive.. we normally deal with chinese vendor's and/or some american vendors that are a little more cost effective, but not at the same prices as EP.. but even with the options of the silk its gonna tact on a little extra cost even with the chinese b/c the venilation process is harder than the lace... not to mention the other extra's we normally opt for.. i only know of one lady that has ordered a LF from EP.. it was about 2 to 3 grand or more.. girl we ain't ballin like that over hair LOL i mean i could if i wanted too, but i have shoe addictions too, i can't be spending all my addiction money in once place.. LOL

Edited by sexibeach - April 01 2008 at 9:42am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 9:44am

Yes diva but most lf wear'ers don't buy them from Extension's Plus b/c they are high and expensive.. we normally deal with chinese vendor's and/or some american vendors that are a little more cost effective, but not at the same prices as EP.. but even with the options of the silk its gonna tact on a little extra cost even with the chinese b/c the venilation process is harder than the lace... not to mention the other extra's we normally opt for..
I realize that not everyone is gonna purchase from Extensions Plus, but I also said that there are CVs that offer bases similar to Extensions Plus' bases too.. On the closure side of the house as consumers are becoming more aware of better more realistic options for closure bases, we are starting to see more AVs offer these kinds of bases, and we KNOW that they are sourcing them from CVs. (My Mane Attractions, Halley's Curls, and Curlz Gone Wild all come to mind -- Halleys Curls even offers wigs with partial silk fronts now) These same CVs making these closures also make wigs on these silk bases.. So it's just a matter of finding out which CVs make closures/wigs on silk bases that aren't sheer silk so that the knots are invisible..

Edited by Divavocals - April 01 2008 at 9:54am
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 9:48am
ok i see what your saying, and thanks for that information.. Wink for me i'm gonna get me a vendor that can do the TRK's that's what i'm more interested in for the long hall, b/c if i can get these Chinese Vendor's up on this technique i'll be satisfied.. LOL the silk is fine but i'd rather have the newest technology for the TRK and i'm giving all the information i find to the chinese vendor's i know in hopes that they can offer that for my units in the very, very near future... thanks again for you wisdom your the best!
DonnaB63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaB63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 10:58am
Sexi & Divavocals, you guys are on point with your knowledge, thanks for sharingClap   
I have my work cut out for me as well.  I was in the middle of exploring "Vaccum" units that require no adhesive at all, but it is very expensive and the hairline isn't all that realistic (bangs are a definite option).  I think the silk and TRK's are a better option for right now.  thanks againBig%20smile
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 11:01am

Sexi & Divavocals, you guys are on point with your knowledge, thanks for sharingClap   
I have my work cut out for me as well.  I was in the middle of exploring "Vaccum" units that require no adhesive at all, but it is very expensive and the hairline isn't all that realistic (bangs are a definite option).  I think the silk and TRK's are a better option for right now.  thanks againBig%20smile
Happy to share girl.. Tongue

ETA: Check out the units with partial silk in the front.. They have a combo of silk and lace in the front and they are meant to allow you to glue the front of the wig down while giving you a realistic parting are without any additional modifications needed.. (These units are very similar to the units Halleys curls now offers -- though I'm sure other CVs will offer you this option as well)

Edited by Divavocals - April 01 2008 at 11:26am
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 11:08am

yep i looked at those too, but it kind of unrealistic for me b/c i got hair but i'm definitely schooling the chinese vendors so they can start offering the TRK.. i'll be in heaven as soon as they do.. mostly b/c i think this will work very effectively with my natural part tecnique for the steri strip having that additional layer of mesh to make the color adjustable, and plus its essential for the knots to be totally invisible for that technique to work! it will knock the ball out of the park with that added to it.. flawless app's to boot.

Edited by sexibeach - April 01 2008 at 11:10am
mslady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mslady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 5:40am
MsMahagoney--

You are correct those pictures are from Marie67 fokti.  She's a member on BHM.  I remember when she posted a topic about them and she purchased the silk based closure from Halle's Curl.

Edited by mslady - April 12 2008 at 5:44am
MsMahoganyRed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMahoganyRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by mslady mslady wrote:

MsMahagoney--

You are correct those pictures are from Marie67 fokti.  She's a member on BHM.  I remember when she posted a topic about them and she purchased the silk based closure from Halle's Curl.

LOLLOL I knew that I had seen them elsewhere and not from a vendor "so to speak"!  I thought they were hers but I couldn't find them in her fotki so I chalked it up as maybe being misinformed!

Thanks!
amazon1147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amazon1147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 1:33pm
So are the silk bases and monofilament 2 different bases? or are they 1 in the same? (from the pictures that i have seen online thus far they look similar)

-and if they are different what is difference between mono and the silk bases.

Edited by amazon1147 - April 18 2008 at 1:38pm
ShowStoppers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShowStoppers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 5:57pm
You go girls, I may need to try the silk base though
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 5:59pm
i like mono and it also comes in silk.. so they aren't the same but mono has different types of materials it comes in, but it also comes in silk.. personally the silk is cool but i still want that TRK..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amazon1147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 7:17pm
thanks for differentiating sexi. i like mono i have it in all my custom units.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amazon1147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 7:17pm
thanks for differentiating sexi. i like mono i have it in all my custom units.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic