Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

silk base? invisible roots?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
amazon1147 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amazon1147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 7:18pm
thanks for differentiating sexi. i like mono i have it in all my custom units and

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amazon1147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2008 at 7:18pm

thanks for differentiating sexi. i like mono i have it in all my custom units.

Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2008 at 10:02am
Originally posted by amazon1147 amazon1147 wrote:

So are the silk bases and monofilament 2 different bases? or are they 1 in the same? (from the pictures that i have seen online thus far they look similar)

-and if they are different what is difference between mono and the silk bases.

Monofilament material (which can be silk mono) is still a somewhat sheer material. It does hide the knots well because of the density of the weave of the monofilament material, but often the scalp area in monofilament pieces (wigs and closures) does not look like a natural scalp. This is because monofilament material is somewhat sheer, and it does not look like a natural scalp.. SOME (not all) wigmakes will add another layer of flesh colored fabric to monofilament pieces to give a more natural scalp appearance.

The silk bases on the other hand do not require an additional piece of fabric to give a natural scalp appearance. These pieces (wigs & closures) will have the most natural scalp appearance because the base material looks more like natural skin to begin with.

Edited by Divavocals - April 19 2008 at 10:17am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amazon1147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 4:29pm
Thanks Diva.
Electric Beauty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electric Beauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 8:25pm
i was speaking to a vendor about silk bases. He said he was familiar with the silk method but only on kosher jewish wigs. He said his company uses Chinese silk instead of Swiss lace,and the knots are hidden,the hair seems grow from the skin. Would this be the same thing?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electric Beauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2008 at 8:30pm
He sent me pictures. I'll post them when I figure out how.

randyb92@yahoo.com%20picture 

Edited by Electric Beauty - April 20 2008 at 8:59pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Electric Beauty Electric Beauty wrote:

i was speaking to a vendor about silk bases. He said he was familiar with the silk method but only on kosher jewish wigs. He said his company uses Chinese silk instead of Swiss lace,and the knots are hidden,the hair seems grow from the skin. Would this be the same thing?
This is exactly the same thing we have been speaking of (when talking about silk bases)..

BTW.. the pic you posted is a LOT too small to see clearly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electric Beauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 4:06pm
Thank you DV. here is a bigger pic.  Kosher wigs are usually so expensive , but I think I will look into their offers. Thanks again.

happydesta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happydesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 7:10pm
kosher wigs tend to last longer. I have read women say that they gotten several years of wear out of them. I think one of the reasons for this is because they do not use asian or indian hair to make the wigs. If you are interested in a kosher wig. Savvy sheitel  is a company that tends to offer less expensive.

Edited by happydesta - April 21 2008 at 7:16pm
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by happydesta happydesta wrote:

kosher wigs tend to last longer. I have read women say that they gotten several years of wear out of them. I think one of the reasons for this is because they do not use asian or indian hair to make the wigs. If you are interested in a kosher wig. Savvy sheitel  is a company that tends to offer less expensive.

that's true b/c to be kosher they have to be certified that they are NOT INDIAN HAIR thru the rabbi.. i think the reglion has a lot to do with it between the two, b/c of the belief in which the indian women give their hair to the temple it can cause a holy war..but its usually done with hair that is european, russia etc.. but the cap construction with silk doesn't have to be kosher it can be done with indian hair b/c most all the chinese vendor's have it and use it for those american vendors that offer kosher wigs..

Edited by sexibeach - April 21 2008 at 7:35pm
happydesta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happydesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by sexibeach sexibeach wrote:

that's true b/c to be kosher they have to be certified that they are NOT INDIAN HAIR thru the rabbi.. i think the reglion has a lot to do with it between the two..but its usually done with hair that is european, russia etc.. but the cap construction with silk doesn't have to be kosher it can be done with indian hair b/c most all the chinese vendor's have it and use it for those american vendors that offer kosher wigs..

You are right about that. The only thing I do not understand is why does european hair tend to tangle less often than Indian/Asian hair. I hardly ever hear orthodox jewish women complaining about getting tangles in wigs. Maybe they are getting a better grade of hair than we are?
MassGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MassGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 8:35pm
I just got my partial silk unit from Halley's Curls today. It looks so pretty; the front is amazing--I can't wait to wear it but I am lovin' my kinky straight from Lace Unit Illusions right now.

I wish the Halley's texture was more coarse--have to wash & condition it before wearing  soo hopefully it will lose some its silkiness.

Got my  AMEX in hand waiting  to order one of the Lindsays from fixinheads too--then I've met lacefront limit until the fall.
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 8:50pm

Originally posted by sexibeach sexibeach wrote:

that's true b/c to be kosher they have to be certified that they are NOT INDIAN HAIR thru the rabbi.. i think the reglion has a lot to do with it between the two..but its usually done with hair that is european, russia etc.. but the cap construction with silk doesn't have to be kosher it can be done with indian hair b/c most all the chinese vendor's have it and use it for those american vendors that offer kosher wigs..

You are right about that. The only thing I do not understand is why does european hair tend to tangle less often than Indian/Asian hair. I hardly ever hear orthodox jewish women complaining about getting tangles in wigs. Maybe they are getting a better grade of hair than we are?

but the russia and european hair is thinner and silky.. really the only reason indian might tangle is only if the cuticle is not aligned.. other than that, i've had align cuticled hair, and its indian and chinese that doesn't tangle.. i think sometimes b/c we're not buying in bulk and just based on individual orders, unless you have a great relationship with your CV, you're going to get units made with waste hair.. which means hair that has fallen to the floor and therefore the cuticle is not align b/c they can't tell once that happens which way is up! bulk order customer's are always going to get the best quality b/c they are buying bigger bulk orders, unless like i said you have a good relationship with your chinese vendor..
Clueless77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clueless77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 8:55pm
This is a lot of good info ladies.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 9:47pm
I agree with Sexi.. Most Kosher wigs last longer because they are made using higher quality standards in the construction. Their durability is not  simply due to the fact that they use European hair... The use of European hair is most definitely a religious consideration as Sexi has already stated. Sheitels worn by Orothodox Jewish women must be constructed from hair which has been certified kosher by a rabbi. Because nearly all Indian hair is harvested in a pagan (AKA polytheistic) ritual, it cannot be certified kosher.. This has less to do with potential religious wars as it does the decree of an influential rabbi.

Kosher wig makers take care to use the best quality hair and the hair is not mishandled so that the cuticles remain aligned.. It is a misstatement to say that ALL Indian or ALL Asian hair tangles.. If you spend enough time with Asian and Indian people, you will see that they do not spend all day brushing and attending to their hair.. They do not deal with hair tangling at the nape, and they don't have NEARLY the problems we see reported when styling their own hair.. This alone ought to tell us that it's not simply about the ethnic source of the hair.

In other words the HYPE that many vendors push forth about various ethnicities is just noise used to sell product.. Unfortunately vendors of all kinds of hair (Indian, European, Asian, Russian, etc) still like to put forth the idea that any one ethnicity is THE hair your should have..

The truth is there are many GREAT choices for hair and ethnic origin is only ONE of many factors you should be looking at when buying hair products.. Misaligned cuticles are an issue regardless if the hair is Indian, European, or Purple People Eater hair.. Poor quality hair is poor quality hair no matter the source.. All of these ethnic sources have hair which is not considered Grade A hair (despite what some vendors say to the contrary). 

IMO the QUALITY of the product trumps the ethnic origin of the hair.. Crappy hair or crappy quality control in the construction will lead to crappy products no matter WHAT ethnic orgin the hair is.. Ethnic origin may factor into other important features such as religious concerns (as in the case of sheitels),  hair textures, and personal preferences..

Edited by Divavocals - April 22 2008 at 5:01pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2008 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by Electric Beauty Electric Beauty wrote:

Thank you DV. here is a bigger pic.  Kosher wigs are usually so expensive , but I think I will look into their offers. Thanks again.

Ahhh this pic is much better!!!Tongue 

Keep in mind that these units in this picture are not applied with tape or glue as a lace wig would be.. Though for women suffering from alopecia, these wigs certainly could be bonded in place.. (I've seen an install of one of a similar type of unit using tape on a woman who has alopecia )

Edited by Divavocals - April 21 2008 at 9:56pm
Walk Softly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walk Softly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2008 at 6:41pm

Another reason these wigs last longer is that the women who wear them usually don't sleep in them, they are to cover the head when in public.  I had a yaffa wig, well constructed and expensive, made with russian hair.  It lasted longer imo only because of the cap construction.  The hair was too european for my tastes though.
luvmylf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmylf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2008 at 7:39am

Are there shedding concerns with these caps? I do not see how the knots can be sealed.

MassGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MassGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by luvmylf luvmylf wrote:

Are there shedding concerns with these caps? I do not see how the knots can be sealed.

I just ordered a custom silk base from a vendor who told me that most of these have shedding issues. She strongly recommended sealing the knots. I told her I use acrylic spray & she said it would be a better option than hair spray which can be drying.

MassGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MassGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2008 at 5:18pm
Forgot to add this: I was told that a tea bag is an alternative way to tint the silk.

I have to work up by Halley's Curls silk base over Mother's Day weekend
( silk base too light for my tone, hair too straight & long but a nicely made unit overall). I will post before & after pics.

Edited by MassGal - May 05 2008 at 9:37am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic