Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Self Tanner didn't know wher to put this!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senegalese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senegalese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Self Tanner didn't know wher to put this!!!
    Posted: April 09 2008 at 10:48am
Sorry ladies but I didn't know where to put this. I know I am offtopic I was doing my research on the use of self tanners on african american skin I didn't find much info, and I just wanted to know if you guys have already tried it. I wanna use it to make my skin look more even and also have a nice glow. Summer is almost here and I want my body to look hot.Smile
For those of you who have already tried this can you please give me some feedback, what product you used etc...
Thank you
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 11:04am
are you talking about using it as a scalp appearance on your lace?
DonnaB63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaB63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 11:06am
Hi, I use Neutragena facial self tanner.  I can't wait for summer to get here because I love how I look when I get a tan.  Here's what I do:   

Face and Neck:  The first two applications I apply all over including my neck and collarbone.  Then I wait two days or so and reapply it to my forehead, chin, under my cheekbones, and the tip of my nose.  Then I wait about three days and apply it everywhere again.  The reason I do it this way is because I want the areas that naturally get more sun exposure to be a little bit darker than the other areas.  This kind of sculpts my face and gives it more structure.  The key is to make sure that the product you use is not too orange looking.  You want it to be a natural taupe / bronze color.  Don't apply too much, you want just a subtle glow. 

Body Application:  Make sure you use a body scrub first and do all your hair removal processes before you self tan.  Place a little lotion on your knees, elbows, angles and toes BEFORE your tanning product.  Those areas have thicker, rougher skin and might absorb too much tanning product which will make them look too pigmented and much darker than the surrounding skin.  After you have done that, just apply the tanning product all over your body, just like you would apply regular body lotion.  Reapply every four or five days to keep the glow going.

Make sure you still wear sunscreen, unless the product you use has one built in.   Happy tanning!

Edited by DonnaB63 - April 09 2008 at 11:16am
DonnaB63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaB63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 11:08am
Sexi, please tell me she meant for the whole body, cuz if not, I got in way too deepBig%20smile
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 11:10am
Originally posted by DonnaB63 DonnaB63 wrote:

Sexi, please tell me she meant for the whole body, cuz if not, I got in way too deepBig%20smile

I"M not sure but i think i was off...LOL i just use the jergen's glow lotion and its works enough for me...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senegalese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 11:11am
Smile I meant body, I'm going to use it on my face and body. Thanks so much Donna for the info.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senegalese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 11:14am
Thanks sexi and Donna, I have the complexion as Naomi Campbell or Gabi Union. So that's why I was wondering if it would look good on me. Donna I see on your avatar that you're light skinned do u think it would look good on me, I was thinking about using this for my body http://www.lancome-usa.com/sunbody/flash-bronzer-glow-n-wear.htm but i don't know which one to use on my body yet.
DonnaB63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaB63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 11:27am
You're welcome!  I haven't tried Lancome sunless tanners, but I do use they're foundation and I like it very much.  based on that, I would say they might be a good product to try.  However, since there are so many good self-tanners out there, to start out with, I would probably go with a less expensive product.  $31 is a lot to spend when you're trying something for the first time.  I use Neutragena Rich Sunelss Tanning Deep for my body.  It's about $10 and it works just beautifully.  If you decide you don't like it, then you're only out $10.  Just a suggestion.  Yes, I think you can get good results with a self tanner.  It will even out your skin tone and it can even relieve you of having to use foundation in the summer.  Just pick a product formulated for dark skin and you should do fine.  You are blessed with extra melanin all year long, I only get to enjoy it in the summerUnhappy 
Hope I've answered all your questionsSmile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senegalese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 11:44am

Thanks Donna I'll try Neutrogena then, How often do u use it, once a week or more?  Thanks

fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 12:18pm

You're welcome!  I haven't tried Lancome sunless tanners, but I do use they're foundation and I like it very much.  based on that, I would say they might be a good product to try.  However, since there are so many good self-tanners out there, to start out with, I would probably go with a less expensive product.  $31 is a lot to spend when you're trying something for the first time.  I use Neutragena Rich Sunelss Tanning Deep for my body.  It's about $10 and it works just beautifully.  If you decide you don't like it, then you're only out $10.  Just a suggestion.  Yes, I think you can get good results with a self tanner.  It will even out your skin tone and it can even relieve you of having to use foundation in the summer.  Just pick a product formulated for dark skin and you should do fine.  You are blessed with extra melanin all year long, I only get to enjoy it in the summerUnhappy 
Hope I've answered all your questionsSmile

OK, Donna, get out of my head! LOL This is great advice & I use the no-name version of that Neutrogena product! It's fantastic and really leaves a nice glow. I also use the deep tan. I have to admit, though, I pretty much just slather it on twice a week --- breaking up the days between upper and lower body (since it's winter and no one really sees my legs!). I have been using this stuff all through the winter --- I got hooked on the glow of sunless tanners! I am mixed and am light-skinned so to me, I look green and pale through the winter.LOLConfused I think it can work great for darker skin tones --- and you wouldn't have to be as careful applying it. That's one thing I like about being darker-skinned already -- no worries about streaks and fading!
DonnaB63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaB63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 12:21pm
Glad to help.  Once a week I reapply just so it doesn't fade completely.  But you don't want to over-apply, because it can start to look a little fake.  You just want it to deepen your natural skin tone a little.  Once or twice a week should give you good result. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senegalese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 12:24pm
Great I don't wanna have to reapply too often. Muchas gracias DonnaSmile
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 12:33pm

Glad to help.  Once a week I reapply just so it doesn't fade completely.  But you don't want to over-apply, because it can start to look a little fake.  You just want it to deepen your natural skin tone a little.  Once or twice a week should give you good result. 

Oh OH!Big%20smileLOL Now she tells me!Confused
DonnaB63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaB63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 12:46pm
De nada, SenegaleseWink

fakeizme, I am sure you don't have that problem, lol.  When I first started using it I went overboard an applied it every day right out the shower.  Luckily, I had a "real" friend who pulled me to the side and told me what I looked like.  It was not pretty, believe me.  My knees looked like two rusty bolts and my elbows had little rings around them where the product had settled into the little crevices and it was just awful.  That was about 7 years ago and I have definitely stepped up my game!   But I feel you on the green and pale aspect (although I am sure you are simply gorgeous!).   I keep myself hidden away in the winter, but summer is my time to SHINE!!
fakeizme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fakeizme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 12:50pm
^^^^Haha. Rusty bolts!!! LOL! Shine away....summer is coming!! Let's all shine today.
Curlygirl11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 1:34pm
I use Bath & Body Works sunless tanner or my face which tends to get too pale for my taste in the winter. I like the way my complexion looks in the summer when I tan naturally from everyday activities. So in the winter I put some sunless tanner on my cheeks to keep a sun-kissed look w/o having to wear makeup.

Now that I've been wearing lf's I see that the area just in front of my hairline is also getting lighter than the rest of my face and it looks wierd to me when I'm not wearing my lf. So now what I do is just put a little sunless tanner around the front of my hairline after I take my lf off on Friday nights before bed and it darkens the area in front of my hairline so it stays the same color as the rest of my face.
soxgirl119 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soxgirl119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 5:43pm
I use the one by L'Oreal called Sublime Bronze in medium/natural tan. It's really good, no streaks.
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 6:27pm
i might need to look into this b/c my legs are white, (bi-racial too) its terrible my co-workers always look at me and say "tan in a bottle please".. but i usually wait until go somewhere and get a real tan and then keep it with the jergens glow.. altho right now all the white people coming back from spring break are darker than me and laugh at me...which isn't that funny so i might look into this..LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Senegalese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 10:40pm
LOLTry it girl, plus now the ones they make give that fab glow.
amberjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amberjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 5:31am
Before using sunless tanners one must make sure that they know how these work http://sfcosmeticsurgery.com/blog/how-do-sunless-tanners-work/ and which one to choose correctly otherwise it could adversely effect your skin.

Edited by amberjoe - December 24 2010 at 5:33am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic